WTF? (**NSFW**)

slacker

Slacker

I was just about to post that story. What bullshit, but since it happened in Commiefornia, I am not surprised!

Anyone who wants to wave the :flag_waving: should be allowed to do so. :salut:

Cheers! M2

Fucking California...

American students punished for wearing American flags to an American school on a day that celebrates a war between Mexico and France...UFB!!!

Someone please pass mensurated coordinates for Berkley.

Guest Alarm Red

<deleted>

EDIT: This is bullshit, this isn't the thread that I posted in about the California American Flag suspension. As long as mods keep merging relevant threads into one giant thread about nothing at all, it's clear that they don't want any actual discourse, and I will refrain from playing in someone else's little empire.

Edited by Alarm Red
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Slacker

I was just about to post that story. What bullshit, but since it happened in Commiefornia, I am not surprised!

Anyone who wants to wave the :flag_waving: should be allowed to do so. :salut:

Cheers! M2

I was listening to Dennis Miller the other day...while I think it is pretty dumb, I also wonder if the principal wasn't also just trying to keep these kids from getting shivved on the playground. I have no doubt someone would have taken enough offense in a S. California school to stab someone.

One wonders, will we now ban Mexican flags during 4th of July celebrations? Probably not...because Americans are, by and large, known for their tolerance, and it's unlikely they'd stab someone for having a little national pride in their home country.

This is bullshit...mods keep merging relevant threads ...I will refrain from playing in someone else's little empire.

Huh?

OK, se ya.

So you're saying that I deploy forward in order to facilitate the defense of federal, state, and city employees who willing stomp on the national pride of their students in order to facilitate the celebration of ANOTHER COUNTRY'S HOLIDAY! This is what I'm sacrificing my Christmases, Thanksgivings, children's birthdays, and my own wedding anniverseries for?! SERIOUSLY!? To defend spineless pukes that can't even stand up for their own country in front of kids that they are in charge of educating?!

This makes me sick.

• Upvote 4

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/world/Medal-for-_courageous-restraint_-plan-get-mixed-review-from-troops-93007014.html

"A proposal to grant medals for "courageous restraint" to troops in Afghanistan who avoid deadly force at a risk to themselves has generated concern among U.S. soldiers and experts who worry it could embolden enemy fighters and confuse friendly forces.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/world/Medal-for-_courageous-restraint_-plan-get-mixed-review-from-troops-93007014.html#ixzz0nSc2odXl

"

They are getting ideas from 'the onion network' (http://www.theonion.com/)

...I also wonder if the principal wasn't also just trying to keep these kids from getting shivved on the playground. I have no doubt someone would have taken enough offense in a S. California school to stab someone.

And that's what is really sad about this story. Not that the kids wore those shirts, but that there was most likely be a strong reaction to them wearing the shirts.

Cinco de Mayo isn't a celebration of hispanic heritage, it's a celebration of Mexico winning a battle in which they were huge underdogs.

Just for shits and giggles I'll play the devil's advocate and say "Ok, but in the U.S. Cinco de Mayo has changed over time to be more about celebrating hispanic heritage."

Right- but nationality does not equal race. You can be an American and still retain your hispanic heritage. You should be able to celebrate your race and nation.

Edited by Vertigo

Right- but nationality does not equal race. You can be an American and still retain your hispanic heritage. You should be able to celebrate your race and nation.

This gives me a new idea. I can hardly wait until St Patrick's day next year. We Irish are sick of the Man holding us down - you better stash your culture and wear green or I'm calling the ACLU.

OK, there is probably some hot high school trim out there; but this is no way to go about getting some…

Star Athlete at Texas School is Really 22

ODESSA, Texas – A West Texas student who led his high school basketball team to the state playoffs last season was actually a 22-year-old man, police said Tuesday.

Police say the basketball star was really Guerdwich Montimere, a naturalized U.S. citizen from Haiti who school officials say was recognized last month by Florida coaches as having been a star high school player in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., a few years ago.

Ector County school district officials said the man posed as 16-year-old Jerry Joseph and enrolled at Permian High School in Odessa for the 2009-2010 academic year. He also presented himself as homeless to the school's basketball coach, Danny Wright, who took the boy in last summer, the coach said.

Montimere was arrested at Permian High on Tuesday and booked into Ector County jail on a charge of presenting false identification to a peace officer.

Officials said Jerry Joseph originally enrolled at the local junior high as a 15-year-old in February 2009, then moved on to high school.

Permian High officials say suspicions about the player's identity first arose when three Florida basketball coaches familiar with Montimere recognized him last month at an amateur tournament in Little Rock, Ark. The Odessa American reported that the coaches recognized him as Montimere, who graduated from Dillard High School in Fort Lauderdale in 2007.

School district officials said they grew more suspicious after contacting U.S. immigration officials.

Police said they arrested Montimere after confronting him about his identity.

"I feel like I was hit by a ton of bricks," district athletic director Leon Fuller said. "In my 50 years in education, I've never heard of anything like this."

Wright told The American that the player was like a family member.

"This affected a lot of people. The whole school of Permian embraced that kid. He deceived us and played on everyone's emotions," Wright said.

Montimere was being held on $500 bond Tuesday night, according to jail records. Jail officials said no attorney was listed for Montimere.

If convicted of the misdemeanor, Montimere could face up to six months in jail and a fine of up to $2,500.

The revelation means Permian likely will have to forfeit the 2009 basketball season in which the 6-foot-5 player known as Jerry Joseph led the team to District 2-5A state playoffs and earned newcomer of the year accolades.

"I feel sick, but now that we've gotten the truth we can move on from here," said Permian principal Roy Garcia.

Permian High School's football program and the community support for it inspired the book "Friday Night Lights."

Of course, back in my hometown there are 22-yr-olds in high school; but it's not because they lied about their age!

Cheers! M2

Sorry for the rant...

Went to my stepson’s 5th Grade Field Trip to the Middle School this morning - sort of a preview for next year. They explained that each student has to pick two half-year electives out of the following options: Computer Technology, Art, Band, Orchestra, Life Skills (cooking, sewing, parenting, etc. - they called it Home Ec when I went to school) Theatre, Chorus and Dance. Should have seen the look on the kids faces, especially after the chorus sang.

Ok, I might get a little politically incorrect here, but bear with me. He’s already said that he doesn't want to play an instrument - and that’s fine - so band and orchestra are out. They said many get the computer course, but I’ll bet he’s going to be hoping for art - and trust me, he's not artistic... Does anyone else think that the choices may be a bit skewed by the fact that 90+% of the teachers are female, or something?

Are they seriously thinking that 6th grade boys would be excited about most of these other choices? If the spaces fill before his name is entered, my stepson could seriously be taking "chorus" or "dance" as a for credit class? Oh yeah, I can just see that. That’s preparation for the future... Now I'm all for a well-rounded education, but come on, when I went to school I had to take Home Ec and all the girls had to take Industrial Arts. Were we all good at everything? No, and we learned that we weren't. I stuck a needle through my finger and one of the girls started a fire with the spot welder. No harm, no foul, but you can be damned sure you wouldn't have caught me taking 'dance'.

While we were in the auditorium during the presentation there was a typical middle school 'scuffle' out in the hallway that caused quite a commotion amongst the staff - they were running everywhere - just two kids yelling at each other and shoving. Who'd have ever thought there might be some aggression in the school? Both the boys probably spend an hour a day, five days a week, being graded on their singing of 'show tunes' or dancing.

What is this some sort of sick "Glee" nightmare? Why don’t they just hand out rainbow flags :rainbow: to everyone walking in the door?

After the 8th grade chorus sang I leaned over to my wife and whispered, "Look, those are the kids that are going to get beaten up by the football team next year..."

</rant>

Guest Alarm Red

Sorry for the rant...

After the 8th grade chorus sang I leaned over to my wife and whispered, "Look, those are the kids that are going to get beaten up by the football team next year..."

</rant>

I'll bite. The point of primary and secondary education is to provide a baseline level of skills in order to exist as a contributing member of society.

Exposure to the arts (even performing arts) is not a bad thing and fits well into that concept. At the same time though, it shouldn't exist at the expense of athletics, phys ed, etc (even more fatasses would be a bad tradeoff). If there is enough money in the pot to pay for all of it, then include the arts.

I'll bite. The point of primary and secondary education is to provide a baseline level of skills in order to exist as a contributing member of society.

Exposure to the arts (even performing arts) is not a bad thing and fits well into that concept. At the same time though, it shouldn't exist at the expense of athletics, phys ed, etc (even more fatasses would be a bad tradeoff). If there is enough money in the pot to pay for all of it, then include the arts.

No, nothing wrong with the arts at all. Hell, I played the saxophone back in the middle school band - played it so badly I realized that my talent must lie elsewhere.

I was just a little surprised at the range of choices. If my stepson can take chorus that is led by a dude who pranced across the stage to his piano, somebody's daughter should be able to learn how to run a table saw by one of those nine-fingered IA teachers we all seemed to have...

I do promise though, if my eleven-year old and his friends have to take 'dance', I'll tape it and post it.

I know you said he doesn't want to play an instrument, but would he really rather dance?? Just tell him to play the drums. At my school, everyone had to take computer class, PE, art, music, and home ec, and then had to pick either chorus, band, or orchestra in addition. I chose the drums and actually really enjoyed it. I still have/play a set today. I dropped it right after middle school though, because HS band is gay.

All the hot (relatively speaking for middle school kids) girls played the flute and liked drummers...so maybe that hasn't changed. :rock:

Looks like Eric Cartman was onto something with that fear of gingers.

Feisty redheads get together just for fun

Redheads unite for camaraderie and laughs with a South Florida group formed just for them.

BY EILEEN SOLER

Special to The Miami Herald

Witness a gaggle of women with red vibrant hair from strawberry blond to copper rose dining in downtown Hollywood and words come to mind: fun, friendly and feisty.

``I love making friends. I love fun things. And I love being a redhead. The concept is fantastic,'' said Sandi Soefer, an artist and weight counselor from Tamarac.

The concept is Forever Redheads, a loosely organized group of original or ``Revlon'' redheads who meet to celebrate the uniqueness of their manes.

A FEW GATHERINGS

Heidi Richards Mooney, a florist and women's business advisor, author and speaker, said redheads are so used to standing out in a crowd that they decided to get together.

Mooney, with light copper locks, said she went to her first gathering of redheads in 1999 at a Fort Lauderdale restaurant.

Only nine redhead events have been held since -- the last one two years ago.

``Statistically only 2 percent of people have red hair,'' Mooney said.

``When we get together we are automatically soul sisters.''

A 2005 study by the Oxford Hair Institute in England found that by 2100, red hair will either be extremely rare or extinct.

``We're on the endangered species list,'' Mooney said.

RECESSIVE GENE

The study reported that only 4 percent of the world's population carry the gene for red hair, making the gene recessive and diluted by the dominant brown hair gene.

Mooney, who had three children with blond hair and now has three red-haired grandchildren, isn't worried about a redhead endangered list -- for now.

``I cried when my first grandchild was born with red hair,'' Mooney said.

``I wasn't alone anymore. I guess now you can say I've done my part to perpetuate the trait.''

Ginger-haired Beth Tobin, president of a custom promotional products and gifts company in Hollywood, said she is double recessive -- she's also left-handed. Three of the other redheads having lunch at Sage Cafe and Oyster Bar are also left handed. Four have O-positive blood.

Some say their red hair sparked teases in elementary school and beyond.

Donna Goldstein, a psychologist and health and weight loss coach from Hollywood who founded the redhead group six years ago, went through school being called ``Rusty'' for her red-auburn tresses.

Others were called carrot top, tomato head or fire engine.

HITTING THE BOTTLE

One member of the group confessed she dyed her red hair blond when her now ex-husband taunted her with, ``I'd rather be dead than be red on the head.''

Goldstein said many wonderful characteristics come with being redheaded.

``We're usually A personalities, we're passionate about what we do and we are energetic,'' Goldstein said.

``Being red haired is very cool.''

Some dispel myths that redheads are hot-tempered, overly sexy and always of Celtic ancestry. Almost all of the women claim some Irish or Scottish heritage but some are also French, Russian and Polish. Mooney said 3,000-year-old mummies with red hair have been discovered in China.

Artist Donna Kim-Brand of West Palm Beach said myths and genetics have nothing to do with her hot crimson locks -- she colors her hair to match her personality.

``I went from mousy brown to brown with red highlights to flaming red,'' Kim-Brand said.

``I am now really who I am -- a redhead at heart.''

SEEKING MEMBERS

Tobin, who with Mooney helped organize the most recent redhead luncheon, said she hopes more women -- and men -- will join the group.

There are no dues, no registration, no agenda.

They plan to meet at least twice a year simply for fun, friendship and for the simple kick of being a redhead.

``Whoever said blonds have more fun never met a redhead,'' Mooney said.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/27/1652138/feisty-redheads-get-together-just.html#ixzz0pCHgDIFQ

ginger.jpg