AFAFF Medical

Guest Ghostrider

Guest Ghostrider

Hi all,

I am supposed to leave for 1st session freefall. Unfortunately, I'm having a little bit of trouble with my medical. I'm a little bit confused as to what kind of medical evaluation I am supposed to get.

My cadre sent me, initially, in May to MEPS to get a class 3 flight physical. I passed the physical, but last week I found out that it was denied because it wasn't done by an Air Force flight surgeon. I was sent yesterday to Holloman AFB for another Class 3 flight physical. Unfortunately the physical wasn't completed because there was no flight surgeon on duty. As a result of this, I got the inital stuff done yesterday, and will have to drive back on Friday to see the flight surgeon. The problem is this: yesterday when they were examining my distant vision, it was found to be (20/30 on my right eye, and 20/40 on my left, both correctable to 20/20). I currently do not wear glasses, so the tech told me it was an automatic failure (which doesn't make sense to me). I was a little outraged, and came home and did some research. On the free fall website, it doesn't say anything about a Class 3 flight physical; it merely says to have the AM-490 Medical certification letter signed by flight surgeon who has reviewed my DoDMERB or an SF-88. I do have a DoDMERB . After checking the website, I'm a little confused as to what I'm supposed to get. The NCO at Holloman told me that the Class 3 flight physical was only for flight engineers, so they were confused as well. My cadre say I need a Class 3 Flight Physical, but the website says differently. If I do need a class 3 Flight Physical, do I need uncorrected 20/20 vision, or need to wear glasses?

I apologize for the lengthy post. I don't know if anyone has dealt with this problem before. I would appreciate any input or advice. Thanks alot!

Hey Ghostrider, at first, all they wanted from me was the Physical I had done while still enlisted that I submitted for my Scholarship App. It was signed by TWO Flight Surgeons, but my unit said I still have to go get another one. They didn't say anything about a Class 3, they said the Flight Doc just wanted to see me for himself before he just signed off on the form. I'd ask your Cadre to see if they can show you in writing that you need a Class 3, cuz if, like you said, all you need is the AM-490, then print off a copy of it and take it to the Flight Surgeon when you go back. Have him sign it, and you'll probably be good to go! Another avenue is send an e-mail to Lt. Mulka at the AFA, he's the one sending out all the info to the cadets via e-mail. If you haven't been getting them, your Det. should be passing it along to you. If you need his e-mail address, PM me and I'll give it to you. Good luck!

Guest Ghostrider

Hey Riddler,

Thanks for the response man, I was just wondering what everyone else was doing. I did Email Lt. Mulka, but no reply yet. I guess tomorrow when I see the doc, I'll just tell him what's going on, and he can make his judgement. It all struck me as odd that I have to have 20/20 vision to jump, or wear glasses. Oh well, I guess I'll find out tomorrow. Hopefully I'll see you up at freefall in a few weeks. Take care and thanks!

Guest pilotcj525

Hey bud.. from what I read, and from what I've done you just need that letter. No Class III medical. You're going on the 8th Ghostrider?

Guest Ghostrider

Hey pilotcj,

Thanks for the info man. I went today and got the stuff taken care of. I just hope there aren't any more problems. I go to freefall August 1st-13. I guess you're second session. Anyhow, good luck, and hope to see you there! Take care!