Leadership at the 'Deid

Toro

At least one of them delivers to the gate, if you call ahead...
I was about to say I need to find these guys because it would save a lot of time, but time is exactly what I'm looking to kill when I'm at work!

Pro tip- get a router and split one login.  You can log on three devices at once and the router doesn't count against your total.  Four dudes/dudettes can share the most expensive plan for $45 out of pocket each.  Still a pain in the ass, but hey, fight the system however you can right?
Dang that's a good idea, I might do that

Yeah can we please have free unlimited fast wifi that covers the whole base?  The internet is really slow on my xbox and I'm getting tired of doing the crossword puzzles in Stars & Stripes at the DFAC.

Edited by spaceman

8 minutes ago, spaceman said:

Yeah can we please have free unlimited fast wifi that covers the whole base?  The internet is really slow on my xbox and I'm getting tired of doing the crossword puzzles in Stars & Stripes at the DFAC.

You need to move your deployment location to Kuwait then.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, spaceman said:

I actually can't really complain because AMD will soon be leaving the CAOC and setting up in a new CONUS facility.  So this rotation is finally the much desired end of AMD at Al Udeid!

I could have sworn I just heard the many Horses of the Apocalypse.  And even better than AMD going stateside, it'd be a fine job for a gaggle of civilians.  They love inflexible processes.

Out

On 3/17/2018 at 9:15 PM, Duck said:

Does JohnQ know about this extortion? I don’t mean to complain, I know there are places where people would have paid anything to be able to skype home and there was no internet available. I just don’t get where free internet turned into $100/month.

It was an AFCENT/A6 budgetary "initiative" in 2015...they uncovered some sort of policy issue with providing it anywhere except "common areas."  I don't recall all of the details, and I'd rather forget, anyway.

23 hours ago, spaceman said:

I actually can't really complain because AMD will soon be leaving the CAOC and setting up in a new CONUS facility.  So this rotation is finally the much desired end of AMD at Al Udeid!

It’s a shame that won’t stop them from being terrible. Nothing better than a C17 pilot trying to load 7 pallets on a c130H. ;)

• Upvote 1

On 3/18/2018 at 9:44 PM, spaceman said:

I thought I was in heaven when I got regular mail service and read these things us old guys called letters that were soaked in perfume.  Coffee was those tasters choice packets out of a MRE. When we got 2 week old Stars and Stripes we scored, crap somebody beat me to the crossword.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Prosuper said:

I thought I was in heaven when I got regular mail service and read these things us old guys called letters that were soaked in perfume.  Coffee was those tasters choice packets out of a MRE. When we got 2 week old Stars and Stripes we scored, crap somebody beat me to the crossword.

Are you going to yell at someone to get off your patch of sand next?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, 17D_guy said:

Are you going to yell at someone to get off your patch of sand next?

Image result for gran torino memes

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

It's not that this place is even that bad; by deployed standards it's pretty decent. It's just so much crappier than it needs to be. We're like a half hour from a major city in one of the highest human development index countries in this part of the world, and yet many of the buildings are falling apart, the food is not great, and the comm infrastructure sucks (not just wifi, Nipr and Sipr outages are a constant occurance at work).

It's not like the war is right outside the gate, this base could be pretty nice if it wasn't run like a prison and treated like a dump by some of the people that live here.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, spaceman said:

It's not that this place is even that bad; by deployed standards it's pretty decent. It's just so much crappier than it needs to be. We're like a half hour from a major city in one of the highest human development index countries in this part of the world, and yet many of the buildings are falling apart, the food is not great, and the comm infrastructure sucks (not just wifi, Nipr and Sipr outages are a constant occurance at work).

It's not like the war is right outside the gate, this base could be pretty nice if it wasn't run like a prison and treated like a dump by some of the people that live here.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say pretty good by deployed standards...   Have you ever Ron’d at OAIX?  Ever been to the dining hall at ORBI? Ever got the flyers per diem or drank unlimited beers at the bowling alley in Turkey? So the Deid has a pool a Dairy Queen, some condemned buildings and no tobacco, pretty darn good...  Granted it’s no FOB but if I wanted to sleep in the dirt and eat MRE’s I would have joined the Marines...

• Upvote 1

I wouldn’t go so far as to say pretty good by deployed standards...   Have you ever Ron’d at OAIX?  Ever been to the dining hall at ORBI? Ever got the flyers per diem or drank unlimited beers at the bowling alley in Turkey? So the Deid has a pool a Dairy Queen, some condemned buildings and no tobacco, pretty darn good...  Granted it’s no FOB but if I wanted to sleep in the dirt and eat MRE’s I would have joined the Marines...

What is the flyers per diem?

Every time you cross the boundary between USAFE and AFCENT it restarts the “first day in theater”.   You get full rate for that day as opposed to the $3.50.  I was still claiming it on my last deployment in ‘16 whenever we landed at LTAG.  

I wouldn’t go so far as to say pretty good by deployed standards...   Have you ever Ron’d at OAIX?

Yes for like 129 nights in a row. The food was pretty good, I had 69 friends there with me and we all lived in the same building, and I flew a C130 every day instead of a fvcking Excel spreadsheet.

Overall a much better deployment than this one!!!

This is the air forces version of “white privlidge”
complaining about internet speeds, dining halls, and fast food joints. Love it
you big base mother ers have it a lot better than most. Continue sport bitching please. 

Big Base Motherers?

How about instead of accepting the bullshit saying “It could be worse”... we always shoot for “it could be better”?

The mentality that I just have to deal with shitty conditions because someone else in the world has it worse is not valid.

But leadership at these places sure wants me to internalize that. All along the same lines of taking a shitty assignment is good for my career, etc. In the past, I’ve had to struggle with not allowing the AF’s priority list to merge with my own list. This is just another example of guys settling for total bullshit because...it could be worse.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, ImNotARobot said:

Big Base Motherers?

How about instead of accepting the bullshit saying “It could be worse”... we always shoot for “it could be better”?

The mentality that I just have to deal with shitty conditions because someone else in the world has it worse is not valid.

But leadership at these places sure wants me to internalize that. All along the same lines of taking a shitty assignment is good for my career, etc. In the past, I’ve had to struggle with not allowing the AF’s priority list to merge with my own list. This is just another example of guys settling for total bullshit because...it could be worse.

your sarcasm detector is operative...i was typing tongue in cheek but didnt hit the right tone. #TryingToBeFunny

• Upvote 1