Leadership at the 'Deid

Toro

5 hours ago, Weezer said:

What they told us was that Qatar considers itself a sort of neutral zone...they don't care who you are as long as 1), you don't cause trouble, and 2), you are not Iran.  The Taliban have offices there, for example.  But, if you cause trouble, you're gone, one way or another.

Bottom line:  I don't think this indicates any changes for life at the Deid.

Ummm, if the other countries surrounding them are cutting off air, sea, and food supplies. Where do you think the military there is going to acquire food? They are not going to permit food trucks in just for the base. Trucks of food and goods are stacked up at the border.

Ummm, if the other countries surrounding them are cutting off air, sea, and food supplies. Where do you think the military there is going to acquire food? They are not going to permit food trucks in just for the base. Trucks of food and goods are stacked up at the border.

Yep, pack it up and go home boys. Can't find a way out of this mess...we can haul rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong but damn if I can figure out a way to move food there in a pinch.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Yep, pack it up and go home boys. Can't find a way out of this mess...we can haul rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong but damn if I can figure out a way to move food there in a pinch.

For the first time in this forum, hatedont has a point. It's been years since my Deid days but I remember the bacon-pocalypse of 2012. Qatar has us by the balls over there and they know it. No one in the upper echelons will tell them to go fornicate themselves with a sharp object.

• Upvote 1

I guess you never were in Afghanistan when the Packtards closed the border? We went without a lot of things for awhile when the Packtards closed the border after some strikes across the border. Where do you think we were buying most of our goods from and how it was being shipped to us? Long lines of trucks stopped at the border who were carrying things for our bases. Not just food, but AAFES branded items.

The military contracts out for the food. They would have to find new contractors to get food into Qatar. You know how the AF works, nothing happens overnight. There wasn't some massive airlift when Pakistan shut down the border.

When was the last time you were in Afghanistan? I remember the notes on the fridges in regard to limiting people to one canned drink or an apology note when certain things were out because of the border being closed. We weren't getting supplies from Iran, thats for sure. Some things were not worth it to be airlifted in. Everything flowed through Pakistani ports and trucks.

I deleted my previous post.

I'll just say this...what you write is absolutely true. That being said, you and everyone else made it home and didn't starve right?

Your post above is noted.

AFG is land locked. Qatar isn't and they haven't closed their airspace.

2 hours ago, hatedont said:

Reading the article, it specifies that they've closed their airspace to Qatar airways.  Other carriers fly in there.  Sea lanes are still open.  Worst case, the MAF guys may be busy for a while, but this is likely get sorted out.

1 hour ago, Herk Driver said:

I deleted my previous post.

I'll just say this...what you write is absolutely true. That being said, you and everyone else made it home and didn't starve right?

Your post above is noted.

AFG is land locked. Qatar isn't and they haven't closed their airspace.

MREs for every meal!

So what's the story on the new yes-man who is going to be running things now that BG James is gone?  I'm going to suffer through one last trip to the shithole this fall and then cruise into retirement (eventually).

3 hours ago, Duck said:

For the first time in this forum, hatedont has a point. It's been years since my Deid days but I remember the bacon-pocalypse of 2012. Qatar has us by the balls over there and they know it. No one in the upper echelons will tell them to go fornicate themselves with a sharp object.

Can you elaborate? Sounds like a good story.

Can you elaborate? Sounds like a good story.

From what I heard the Qataris decided that we needed to use their own personal suppliers of pork and it was more expensive/crappy deal/etc.. they cut off all our supply of bacon and basically held it hostage through blocking the import of bacon to the base. When I left in 13 there was still no bacon. Pissed me off. I like bacon.

Duck, you and I must have read different articles. The Qatari's are being f'ed by their neighbors. Not sure how that puts our balls in Qatars vice grips.

Duck, you and I must have read different articles. The Qatari's are being f'ed by their neighbors. Not sure how that puts our balls in Qatars vice grips.

We have spent a bazillion dollars on that base and we lease it from the Qataris. They push us around all the freaking time. Through customs, dictating what we can have at the base, etc. There is no where else we can base out of in the region and they know that and hold it over our heads all the time. They have us by the balls there.

4 minutes ago, Duck said:

We have spent a bazillion dollars on that base and we lease it from the Qataris. They push us around all the freaking time. Through customs, dictating what we can have at the base, etc. There is no where else we can base out of in the region and they know that and hold it over our heads all the time. They have us by the balls there.

That lease money probably goes straight to the Muslim Brotherhood, ISIS, etc. 

That lease money probably goes straight to the Muslim Brotherhood, ISIS, etc. 

The best part is they don't want to renew the lease so they can take over the base when we leave.

1 hour ago, SurelySerious said:

Maybe the Qataris should use those C-17s for something other than transporting the crown Lambos and Tigers.

They can't do that when they're doing high speed brake checks to "burn off excess fuel" and catching the brakes on fire.

• Upvote 2

Does this mean Qatari customs dolts will be bigger a-holes? I personally know of several aircrew to be permanently banned from country: one for having a can of dip, one for having a funny moustsche drawn on his CAC, and one for "making a funny face" at a customs dude.

The Deid is reason 847 why guys are bailing left and right.  F that place and F the Qataris.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, dream big said:

I personally know of several aircrew to be permanently banned from country: one for having a can of dip, one for having a funny moustsche drawn on his CAC, and one for "making a funny face" at a customs dude.

Lucky bastards. 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, snoopyeast said:

I saw one almost drag a wingtip a few years back.

That's gotta be tough to do seeing the last few feet of wing are so stylishly curled up...were they inverted?

The Deid won't be touched. The other countries are uninterested in impacting the base, and have made that clear

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

"Turkey to fast-track draft bill approving troop deployment in Qatar (7 June):" Hopefully these 3,000 Turks wont be bedding down on Al-Udeid.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/07/turkey-to-fast-track-draft-bill-approving-troop-deployment-in-qatar-officials.html

Additional info; "Revealed: Secret details of Turkey's new military pact with Qatar;"

http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/turkey-qatar-military-agreement-940298365

• Upvote 3

The Deid won't be touched. The other countries are uninterested in impacting the base, and have made that clear

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I have just one more question before I call Airman O'Malley and Airman Rodriguez. If you gave an order that the Deid wasn't to be touched, and your orders are always followed, then why would the Deid be in danger?
  • Upvote 3