Leadership at the 'Deid

Toro

I'll probably get beat down for this but I've flown about 25 hrs with the AEW/CC here and he seems like a good dude. It doesn't seem like he buys in to most of the gayness. But he is pretty new here. I think it's the Chiefs on base that make it painful for everyone. CC has yet to sign the reflective belt everywhere policy even thought the Chiefs want it now. No comment on the others.

So what you're saying is you have access to the Boss - don't pass on the opportunity to let him know what crewdogs are thinking and what asspain they're dealing with. Just make sure you bring it up without coming off as a whiny bitch - hopefully he'll appreciate some honest ground truth.

So what you're saying is you have access to the Boss - don't pass on the opportunity to let him know what crewdogs are thinking and what asspain they're dealing with. Just make sure you bring it up without coming off as a whiny bitch - hopefully he'll appreciate some honest ground truth.

"2" - great advice for all of us - that is, the presentation part.

Knew him (AEW/CC) 20+ years ago as a new aircraft commander. This guy is well worth the benefit of the doubt - one of the best all around guys I knew while active duty.

Good luck!

I've visited this thread several times over many, many months. I've never been stationed at the Deid, only transited that...place. There was always so much stupidity going on that it was obvious to me that nothing actually operational was happening. As I've looked at the usernames and style of posts, it "seems" to me that some of the posters here are commissioned officers. Why are you fine folk not standing up to the SNCOs that have absolutely no job and post themselves at the chow hall and PX for no other reason than to look for reflective belts/sock height/PT shirt tucked in? Are you seriously not allowed to weigh in on the assinine policies of that installation? Do out of work E-9's have authority over you?

I've visited this thread several times over many, many months. I've never been stationed at the Deid, only transited that...place. There was always so much stupidity going on that it was obvious to me that nothing actually operational was happening. As I've looked at the usernames and style of posts, it "seems" to me that some of the posters here are commissioned officers. Why are you fine folk not standing up to the SNCOs that have absolutely no job and post themselves at the chow hall and PX for no other reason than to look for reflective belts/sock height/PT shirt tucked in? Are you seriously not allowed to weigh in on the assinine policies of that installation? Do out of work E-9's have authority over you?

Does not have authority over me, but said E-9 is enforcing a policy put forth from the WG/CC (a one star). One star tell his CMSgt to make sure the youngins are following the new guidance. CMSgt gets the rest of the first shirts to man the DFAC's.

As one of those commissioned officers, I know damn well that the NCO's didn't decide on their own to become sock police. I know they are being ordered from their boss, down from the one-star, to check people's sock status.

And since being told to wear 69 disco belts doen't conflict with LOAC or the Geneva Convention, that means its a lawful order that we have to follow.

Can we weigh in? Sure! We bitch up the chain. We tell the DO, he tells the SQ/CC. He then tells us to STFU. We start wearing reflective socks.

Cap-10 :flag_waving:

Cap-10 hit it on the head, not so much you can do when the powers that be are determined to have everyone in disco belts.

Anytime I get called on something, I usually give a "noted" and move on. What it makes it worse is all the shoes walking around all belted up everywhere they go.

We had a step brief go about 20 minutes longer than usual recently b/c we spent most of it griping about the belts to our DO and Shirt. Apparently those making the belt decision have "yet to be presented with a real argument why we shouldn't wear them in CC."

How bout the f^cking reflective PT gear you make us wear?

I think I'm going to enter this "road naming" contest I got an email about. If they want a name with historic link to AUAB, I think its only fitting that we have a Disco Belt Dr. in the CC.

Well said. I honestly tell the E's to go enforce their laws with someone else, and guess what, every one of them walk away. If we all told them to EABOD, then the enforcement would stop.

Trust me, the E-9's are not innocent victims. They enforce rules as much as they want to, or as little as they want.

Someone should just tell him to read this thread. Good honest bitching at its best.

Guest Sebastian
Someone should just tell him to read this thread. Good honest bitching at its best.

"General, have you ever been to baseops.net? They have 36 pages devoted to your leadership."

Two days later....

bluecoat.bmp

Edited by Sebastian

I'll probably get beat down for this but I've flown about 25 hrs with the AEW/CC here and he seems like a good dude. It doesn't seem like he buys in to most of the gayness. But he is pretty new here. I think it's the Chiefs on base that make it painful for everyone. CC has yet to sign the reflective belt everywhere policy even thought the Chiefs want it now. No comment on the others.

So, he doesn't buy into the :rainbow:? Then why doesn't he end it all. He may be a good dude, but until he proves it by ending the BS then he's just part of the problem.

Seriously, REFLECTIVE PT gear does not require a reflective belt.

Edited by Hotel

So, he doesn't buy into the :rainbow:? Then why doesn't he end it all. He may be a good dude, but until he proves it by ending the BS then he's just part of the problem.

Seriously, REFLECTIVE PT gear does not require a reflective belt.

Things seem to get watered down as they move up the chain - there's a possibility he doesn't even realize how much asspain the average crewdog is experiencing when hacking the mish - unless someone enlightens him. I know it seems ridiculous he wouldn't be aware of it, but do you really think he ever gets told he can't come in the DFAC with white socks? Or that he better put on a reflective belt even though he's in the BRA that's lit up like a stadium? Hell no.

When you have the chance to fly with him - i.e. he's a crewdog with you, outside of a formal environment - tell him what's going on, cause the yes men on his staff probably aren't. Maybe he'll change things.

Or maybe he really doesn't get it - in that case it really sucks to be at the Deid cause there's no hope of things changing.

Does not have authority over me, but said E-9 is enforcing a policy put forth from the WG/CC (a one star). One star tell his CMSgt to make sure the youngins are following the new guidance. CMSgt gets the rest of the first shirts to man the DFAC's.

As one of those commissioned officers, I know damn well that the NCO's didn't decide on their own to become sock police. I know they are being ordered from their boss, down from the one-star, to check people's sock status.

And since being told to wear 69 disco belts doen't conflict with LOAC or the Geneva Convention, that means its a lawful order that we have to follow.

Can we weigh in? Sure! We bitch up the chain. We tell the DO, he tells the SQ/CC. He then tells us to STFU. We start wearing reflective socks.

Cap-10 :flag_waving:

I have difficulty wrapping my head around the idea that a Brigadier General has time to actually think up things as ridiculous as what I have seen at that location. Someone has to be feeding him/her that crap and I suspect SNCOs, especially First Sergeants and E-9's.

If you fly with the dude, then you probably have a better shot than about 99% of us at talking to him in a low threat environment. Being on a crew w/ him gives you the PERFECT opportunity to talk to him, as a combat aviator, about some of this horrible policy. Take the chance and make a difference by stepping up and being 'that guy'.

Ya know, I wouldn't mind if real NCOs ran the AF. I mean, I could tailor my argument differently if it were actually zeros that ran it, but obviously it's the SNCO's that have no jobs that run it and have zeros by the balls so tightly that they can't do anything about it. When I say real NCOs, I'm talking STS, TACP, etc. However, with these PME/Admin folks running things, we're completely screwed. Can we have a PJ CMSAF, please? Combat Control works for me, too. Just someone that doesn't have the first thought of "the AC isn't working in this office" would be fantastic.

Otherwise, we're all going to be wearing red stars with a hammer and sickle on their uniform. My confidence in our "leadership" is so high that I already have mine.

Ya know, I wouldn't mind if real NCOs ran the AF. I mean, I could tailor my argument differently if it were actually zeros that ran it, but obviously it's the SNCO's that have no jobs that run it and have zeros by the balls so tightly that they can't do anything about it. When I say real NCOs, I'm talking STS, TACP, etc. However, with these PME/Admin folks running things, we're completely screwed. Can we have a PJ CMSAF, please? Combat Control works for me, too. Just someone that doesn't have the first thought of "the AC isn't working in this office" would be fantastic.

Otherwise, we're all going to be wearing red stars with a hammer and sickle on their uniform. My confidence in our "leadership" is so high that I already have mine.

I had a TAC-P for a Command Chief at Ali Al Saleem in 2005. He was kick ass.

Guest DesertRat
I have difficulty wrapping my head around the idea that a Brigadier General has time to actually think up things as ridiculous as what I have seen at that location. Someone has to be feeding him/her that crap and I suspect SNCOs, especially First Sergeants and E-9's.

You are absolutely right! But it was actually a Two year below the zone LtCol Chief of Safety (flyer) butt kisser who convinced the General that the Reflective PT Gear was not reflective enough.

You are absolutely right! But it was actually a Two year below the zone LtCol Chief of Safety (flyer) butt kisser who convinced the General that the Reflective PT Gear was not reflective enough.

That makes a bit more sense to me. If only our General officers could think for themselves or our promotion system actually worked...

Oops. I'll try to stop dreaming.

Are you guys serious with the sock police?? I have never seen anyone checking socks at any of the 3 chow halls ever.

Not only in the Deid, but at Balad as well. One of my guys got yelled at to stop by an E-6. The E-6 told him that someone wanted to talk to him. Out of the passenger seat comes this E-9. Bitched at him for his socks not being high enough. A friend of mine was chased down the street while he was driving by a Command E-9 that running behind him. He didn't use a spotter to back up. Apparently this is quite the offense at Balad.

I must be under the radar here at the Deid. I have been here almost 5 days now for a broke plane and have yet to wear anything but civilian clothes. Not expecting to crew rest in the Deid, I didn't bring AF PT gear and have refused to spend my own money to get more at the BX. I have been just about everywhere on base and no one has said a word. I think with the British running around wearing whatever they want helps cause you fit in a little better. Maybe I have just been lucky.

For your perspective I am a new Captain so I definitely do not drink the koolaid yet.

For some perspective back to you Capt: when you have to say you don't "drink" the koolaid.......probably already had some. And you threw in the word "yet". You sound pretty thirsty to me from your post :salut:

Guest DesertRat

"I heard that the Chiefs on base are the ones that came up with the reflective belt with PT gear idea and unless I am missing something, this policy has not been signed off on by (the named BG). "

Well, the Chiefs were not the ones who came up with it it was the Safety Office, and the reason why the General has not signed off on it is because he wants the Safety Office to put it into an official reg, i.e. Safety O.I. so it will be a more permanent practice instead of just a memo to be forgotten about with time.

Al Udeid had this rule a long time ago with reflective belts, and someone worked really hard to get rid of it due to the reflectiveness of our PT uniforms, now with one swift suggestion we are back to :rainbow: ness.

"I heard that the Chiefs on base are the ones that came up with the reflective belt with PT gear idea and unless I am missing something, this policy has not been signed off on by (a named BG). "

Well, the Chiefs were not the ones who came up with it it was the Safety Office, and the reason why the General has not signed off on it is because he wants the Safety Office to put it into an official reg, i.e. Safety O.I. so it will be a more permanent practice instead of just a memo to be forgotten about with time.

Al Udeid had this rule a long time ago with reflective belts, and someone worked really hard to get rid of it due to the reflectiveness of our PT uniforms, now with one swift suggestion we are back to :rainbow: ness.

Kinda sad. I flew with (a named BG) at Dyess (he was in senior requal, I was in IQC). He seemed like a down-to-earth guy. Hell, he even did more paperwork on mission planning day than most of the wing leadership did when they flew.