Leadership at the 'Deid

Toro

Bergman:

In general, whining about meaningless crap isn’t a good look for an officer, but this seemed like some harmless silliness.

This isn't whining at all. These guys provided the best customer satisfaction survey ever. The fact is that they were 100% spot-on with their jokes, and honestly after 10+ years at AUAB there is no reason in the world that the majority of that stuff hasn't been fixed long ago. Oh, and thanks for the lesson in officership. I'll keep it in mind the next time I'm having trouble earning respect from people in the squadron.

That being said, although I doubt an LOR/LOC is on the way, I don’t think anyone would be surprised if the Lt Col involved was invited to have a quiet conversation with his boss about this the relative merits of silliness.

You're probably right on this one. Here's hoping he's only got a few months left before retirement or a 4-star sponsor somewhere.

I'll send him an email tomorrow to see what the fallout has been so far.

Edited by Bergman
  • Upvote 2

Dude that shit was funny. Maybe instead of people getting all butthurt, they should take it as constructive criticism and fix the problems, seeing as they are saying we are going to be there "forever".

• Upvote 1

Oh, and thanks for the lesson in officership. I'll keep it in mind the next time I'm having trouble earning respect from people in the squadron.

You can never pass up a good opportunity to give a planner a lesson in officership.....

• 2 weeks later...

I think these E-Mails from CCM's are becomeing a standard cut and paste. Much like this war, it's just getting old. Keywords "laser focus", "How well are they performing their primary job?", "Salute" etc, etc, etc.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 12:21 PM

To: Maybury All Personnel

Subject: CCM Concerns

Maybury All,

The time has come to address some items that seem to have

been lost from the professionalism expected of all of you each and every day. The first being customs and courtesies; yes, you have heard it before and yes, you will hear it again. There are several cars on the installation that are operated by your Senior Leadership. Their rank is prominently displayed in the lower corner of the driver's side windshield. When you encounter this vehicle

while walking the roadways of Maybury, or anywhere outdoors, you are required to salute and hold the salute until one is returned or the vehicle has passed. This is a requirement you were all taught in basic training and or the officer

training you attended. It appears as though some have forgotten this. Simply turning your head or looking down as the vehicle approaches is unacceptable and believe me, it is very obvious when this occurs. Also, when addressed by anyone senior in rank to you, it is proper to stand, if sitting, and address them using proper English (not yeah or nope, etc) yes Sir/Ma'am, MSgt, Captain, etc....you see the point here, so practice it.

tem two is one that you all have heard during Warrior Welcome and if you are a violator, you have most certainly heard several times over....adherence to standards! That is correct, our reputation as the Premier Air Force across the world is based upon our ability to develop, enforce and adhere to our standards. This does not mean that you can pick and choose the ones you like. It does mean you adhere to and enforce them all, like them or not. One of the biggest issues our Chiefs and First Sergeants deal with on a continuing basis is members on this installation not following our uniform standard. For many years we did not have clear guidance but that has changed when 36-2903 was finally updated and published last July. This is a standing written order (signed by a 3-star General) and is lawful. Very little in the guidance has been left to interpretation and if it was, it has been clarified by the AFCENT Supplement (also signed by a 3-Star General) and our local Community Standards (signed by a 1-Star General). Each of these documents is legally binding orders from commanders appointed above you. You each swore to uphold those orders when you took your oath of enlistment/office. As professional Airmen, you are required to understand, adhere to and enforce "all" standards, no excuses. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard the excuse "I didn't know" or "oh, you do that here." These are all unacceptable answers from anyone that has graduated from basic training and/or officer training school. If you are unfamiliar with the standards, it is time to make a change in your life and read them, understand them and ask questions if need be. There is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid mistakes. I have attached a copy of the Maybury Community Standards. The AFCENTI 36-2903 and AFI 36-2903 links are located below.

Finally, don't be afraid of confronting those that are violating the standards, they should thank you for caring enough to correct

them. I sometimes worry about individuals that consistently violate standards and seem to have the "I don't give a crap" attitude; I ask myself how well are they performing their job? Are they cutting corners there as well? Doing just enough to get by? Are they the ones working on the planes we fly (or better yet flying them), or the cars we drive, or the food we eat, or protecting us at the gates, etc. I could go on and on with this but I think by now you get the point. We are a profession of arms and you are "all" Professional Airmen performing your jobs flawlessly every single day, saving countless lives in the AOR. Our Brother and Sisters (of all Service Components) on the ground depend on you all to be just that....Professional "all the time"! I need you all to step up, be engaged and laser-focused on the task at hand; be a part of the cure....not the disease.

Link to AFI 36-2903:

HUA,

Chief Copy-Paste

PAUL COPY-PASTE, CMSgt, USAF

xxx AEW Command Chief

DSN Comm VoSIP:

Edited by discus

That letter in both its details and the mere fact of its existence says it all.

The author points out the "lawful order" and supplement signed off by 2 lieutenant generals and 1 brigadier general.

The author works for the local wing commander either a BG or an O-6.

And this is tolerated.

It is not the "chiefs" doing it, it is the Air Force's leadership ceding that leadership to someone else, in this case the Chiefs' union.

Failure of USAF leadership and not the senior enlisted.

I am sad for you.

• Upvote 1

Stop deleting their names. There's nothing of OPSEC concern in the email, so call these people out.

Disagree. Nothing gained by calling them out in this venue.

Remember, this is public space and we need to respect people's privacy regardless of the level of bufoonery. They are on the team.

Disagree. Nothing gained by calling them out in this venue.

Remember, this is public space and we need to respect people's privacy regardless of the level of bufoonery. They are on the team.

Disagree. He sent the email out to AEW/ALL. He had the blessing of management. Somehow, the Emperor needs to be told he has no clothes, because apparently management either won't call out their own or genuinely believes in this nonsense. Not sure which is worse.

Edited by Karl Hungus

I sometimes worry about individuals that consistently violate standards and seem to have the "I don't give a crap" attitude; I ask myself how well are they performing their job?

Failed logic.

robin_olds_350_450s.jpg

Our Brother and Sisters (of all Service Components) on the ground depend on you....

Fail.

The guys on the ground could give two shits about salutes or PT shirts.

Disagree. He sent the email out to xxx AEW/ALL.

You could not be more wrong.

There is no reason for anyone to believe an email sent to the members of the wing would somehow be posted on the internet with names and places. In fact, doing so (like you have done by identifying the wing) would likely land someone in deep shit.

Slow down and think.

Edited by Rainman A-10

You could not be more wrong.

There is no reason for anyone to believe an email sent to the members of the wing would somehow be posted on the internet with names and places. In fact, doing so (like you have done by identifying the wing) would likely land someone in deep shit.

Slow down and think.

Fair enough.

Perhaps I should stop taking this nonsense so personally. Dunno why I give a shit anymore. Pretty obvious that none of this BS will ever go away.

It CAN go away. The people on this board are mainly composed of the future leadership of the USAF. We can always remember what things were like from the mid 2000's on and promise ourselves that we will not repeat these mistakes. We can fix this, we just need to squash our peers who seem to be on board with BS like this on a peer-pressure level and move from there.

(I hope, anyway)

It CAN go away. The people on this board are mainly composed of the future leadership of the USAF. We can always remember what things were like from the mid 2000's on and promise ourselves that we will not repeat these mistakes. We can fix this, we just need to squash our peers who seem to be on board with BS like this on a peer-pressure level and move from there.

(I hope, anyway)

Those of us who don't agree will either be RIFed or not selected for command due to not toeing the party line. Stuff like this has a way of self perpetuating.

Edited by magnetfreezer
  • Upvote 2

Disagree. He sent the email out to AEW/ALL. He had the blessing of management. Somehow, the Emperor needs to be told he has no clothes, because apparently management either won't call out their own or genuinely believes in this nonsense. Not sure which is worse.

As it was not labeled FOUO, it is in the public domain and is required to be accessible to all Americans under the Freedom of Information Act (think about that next time you send an e-mail).

Also, when addressed by anyone senior in rank to you, it is proper to stand, if sitting, and address them using proper English...

followed by:

Each of these documents is legally binding orders from commanders appointed above you.

Don't criticize language usage when you can't get it right yourself.

...our reputation as the Premier Air Force across the world is based upon our ability to develop, enforce and adhere to our standards.

Again with the grammar. Isn't the PAF the Pakistani AF? As to the comment, funny, I thought we were respected because we kick ass and take names, but we don't abuse other countries for no reason. Clearly I've been misinformed. I guess North Korea's Air Force is a better example of a "Premier Air Force" because they adhere to standards or die.

Those of us who don't agree will either be RIFed or not selected for command due to not toeing the party line. Stuff like this has a way of self perpetuating.

Then it behooves us to see to it that we correct it...

...well, those of us that don't get RIF'd

It CAN go away. The people on this board are mainly composed of the future leadership of the USAF.

While I agree this board consists of mainly [potential] future leaders, I can confirm this particular thread has been seen by some current leaders at a pretty high level. Word gets out. Keep hope alive.

I'm glad some "senior leadership" reads these threads. Hopefully some of it gets through. As for the Chief...he/she has answered their own question if they are sincere in their assessment. All I ask from my "leadership" is honest feedback. Don't feed us bullshit if you don't really mean it. Just like it is obvious when an airman looks away to avoid saluting a staff car, it is obvious when we are being fed insincere bullshit.

Don't ask a question like this:

Finally, don't be afraid of confronting those that are violating the standards, they should thank you for caring enough to correct

them. I sometimes worry about individuals that consistently violate standards and seem to have the "I don't give a crap" attitude; I ask myself how well are they performing their job? Are they cutting corners there as well? Doing just enough to get by? Are they the ones working on the planes we fly (or better yet flying them), or the cars we drive, or the food we eat, or protecting us at the gates, etc. I could go on and on with this but I think by now you get the point.

...and then follow up with this:

We are a profession of arms and you are "all" Professional Airmen performing your jobs flawlessly every single day, saving countless lives in the AOR. Our Brother and Sisters (of all Service Components) on the ground depend on you all to be just that....Professional "all the time"! I need you all to step up, be engaged and laser-focused on the task at hand; be a part of the cure....not the disease.

If you really believe we perform our jobs flawlessly every day, then you shouldn't have to wonder if the guy with his shirt untucked or socks not high enough is performing his primary duty correctly. Stop making excuses for the reasons you continue to focus on queep when they obviously don't matter if we are performing our jobs "flawlessly." Or maybe you don't really believe that...if not, be honest with your assessment and feedback.

Leadership starts with your credibility and honesty. You help no one by telling everyone they are a winner....

(I hope, anyway)

While that's good in theory, you forget that guys who would do something about this stupidity will have long since pulled the handle and gotten the hell out of the Air Force before they were high enough in rank to make a real difference at anything other than maybe the SQ level. Like it or not, today's Christmas party planners are tomorrow's AF leaders. They are the types who have dranketh of the blue kool aid and found its current taste appealing. This isn't all non-ops leadership pushing this either. Keep in mind that the VAST majority of AF senior leadership are comprised of rated guys. I know of a few Capts who are already of the mindset that they will do whatever it takes to get ahead, and that includes kool aid drinking, queep pushing and back stabbing. Maybe I should be nice to them because I know they are going places some day, but I don't GAF enough, I'm too busy actually flying and not planning the next SQ golf tournament.

• Upvote 3

Finally, don't be afraid of confronting those that are violating the standards

It is encouragement like this that leads to A1Cs thinking they can jack up a field grade officer for having an untucked shirt.

How about..."Finally, don't be afraid to respectfully approach those...." instead? Whether you outrank someone or not, just a little common courtesy and a friendly attitude (even if you are correcting them) will go a long way. This E-9 has clearly missed that point.

This E-9 has clearly missed that point.

This has become so standard it is UFB.

It would be nice if some of these fuckers had ever killed someone, then they could be self-policing on attitudes about stupid bullshit.