Join Spouse Info (Married military couples)

Guest inmemoryofthose

I'm currently in CSO training and haven't been assigned an airframe yet. Has anyone in here been a PIlot/CSO married to an Air Field Ops officer? My fiancee commissions this spring.

I know a WSO married to an Airfield Ops officer; it seems to work fine because all pilots/WSOs/NAVs/EWOs fly in airplanes on airfields which thereby require airfield ops officers.

Agreed to the above. However it isn't always that easy. You need to see what the requisitions are for the pcs cycle, if there isn't anything necessary sometimes out are out of luck. My wife is a personellist and we are running into trouble right now. Pm me for a more queepy conversation on af regs if interested in the process. The takeaway don't take no for an answer and network as much as possible

• 3 weeks later...

Herc Nav married to a buff nav, anyone heard of a joint assignment other than Pensacola? Trying to figure out options other than White jets. Words?

Words:

Staff. AFGSC HQ. Any AOC. School cadre. Academy AOC. Safety Center. AFIA. Pentagon. ALO.

AFMC HQ. Any logistics center.

Edited by Learjetter

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a tanker gal married to a different tanker guy. We are stationed over 6000 miles apart. Did our first assignment apart (3 years) and the functional was so helpful and accommodating he hooked us up with a UAV assignment to creech so we could 'be together' working opposite days and shifts. My advice to you? Get in the same airframe. You can forget it heavy to fighter and even heavy to heavy can become a nightmare with sequestration- there are no funds for cross flow if you aren't an instructor pilot in your airframe already which takes atleast 4-5 years to attain. If you have more questions PM me directly. My husband and I were rock stars in our units and our commanders were dialoguing to get us together and it didn't make a bit of difference, to UAVs we go. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by 135grl2008

I'm a tanker gal married to a different tanker guy. We are stationed over 6000 miles apart. Did our first assignment apart (3 years) and the functional was so helpful and accommodating he hooked us up with a UAV assignment to creech so we could 'be together' working opposite days and shifts. My advice to you? Get in the same airframe. You can forget it heavy to fighter and even heavy to heavy can become a nightmare with sequestration- there are no funds for cross flow if you aren't an instructor pilot in your airframe already which takes atleast 4-5 years to attain. If you have more questions PM me directly. My husband and I were rock stars in our units and our commanders were dialoguing to get us together and it didn't make a bit of difference, to UAVs we go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quibbling.

I'm a tanker gal married to a different tanker guy. We are stationed over 6000 miles apart. Did our first assignment apart (3 years) and the functional was so helpful and accommodating he hooked us up with a UAV assignment to creech so we could 'be together' working opposite days and shifts. My advice to you? Get in the same airframe. You can forget it heavy to fighter and even heavy to heavy can become a nightmare with sequestration- there are no funds for cross flow if you aren't an instructor pilot in your airframe already which takes atleast 4-5 years to attain. If you have more questions PM me directly. My husband and I were rock stars in our units and our commanders were dialoguing to get us together and it didn't make a bit of difference, to UAVs we go.

Your post doesn't make much sense. Are you already at Creech, or are you just assuming you'll be opposite days/shifts?

Unfortunately 4-5 years to IP in the -135 is not accurate, it's much earlier.

Edited by Azimuth

Did you offer T-6s to Laughlin?

Quibbling.

Are you mil-mil? If not, then why not GTFO of the thread and move into the squadron bar NSFW topic. I am no pro when it comes to join spouse shit but if you are considering pilot to pilot and have questions drop me a PM for real world examples.

• Downvote 1

Are you mil-mil? If not, then why not GTFO of the thread and move into the squadron bar NSFW topic. I am no pro when it comes to join spouse shit but if you are considering pilot to pilot and have questions drop me a PM for real world examples.

You mad bro?

• Upvote 1

Join spouse is a very stressful topic. The Air Force says they'll work with you but it's never a guarantee. You can either roll the die or be proactive in making it easier to get stationed together. Most of us are under commitment as well, so it's not like one of us can just get out. It's something we enter fully knowing, but it doesn't make it any less stressful. On top of that, someone's career almost always has to suffer. Fun times.

Right now my husband is stationed 100 miles away from my duty station. Got to love join spouse!

I'm civ-civ. And if when I was AD I asked to be at the same base as my wife and then complained about our schedules once I was there, I would punch myself in the jejunum.

Edited by day man
  • Upvote 1

The Air Force says they'll work with you but it's never a guarantee.

I'm sure you already know this, but for the sake of clarity, this sentiment is prevalent in every aspect of AF service. Nothing is guaranteed, except that if you bend over, you are asking to get f…ed.

On top of that, someone's career almost always has to suffer. Fun times.

This is not specific to join-spouse situations. Civilian spouses of military personnel are at a considerable disadvantage (in the workforce) as compared to their non-military affiliated peers.

Join spouse is a very stressful topic. The Air Force says they'll work with you but it's never a guarantee. You can either roll the die or be proactive in making it easier to get stationed together. Most of us are under commitment as well, so it's not like one of us can just get out. It's something we enter fully knowing, but it doesn't make it any less stressful. On top of that, someone's career almost always has to suffer. Fun times.

Right now my husband is stationed 100 miles away from my duty station. Got to love join spouse!

Yawn.

Nobody forced you to marry another .mil person. Single and mil-civ folks everywhere roll their eyes at shit like this.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Yawn.

Nobody forced you to marry another .mil person. Single and mil-civ folks everywhere roll their eyes at shit like this.

It didn't sound like she was complaining, per se. Rather she was just saying how it can be (and is for her) stressful. I've heard guys say it's stressful when their wives can't find a job in their professional field while stationed at Clovis...they weren't forced either, but it doesn't make it any less stressful.

Unfortunately, the military seems to screw over all of its members these days, one way or another.

As someone who was married mil-to-mil I share no sympathy towards mil-to-mil couples who bitch about not being assigned together. Both the USAF and sister services try their best to have folks stationed as close as possible. I knew a -135 pilot who constantly bitched that she couldn't get based with her Navy SWO husband. There should be no surprise that it may be difficult to base you or your spouse, based on their airframe, around the other's AFSC/airframe/branch. With that being said I know another -135 pilot who's 3-for-3 on assignments with his spouse who's in the USMC. Your mileage may vary, however I wouldn't bitch too much since you're both pulling down BAH.

Edited by Azimuth

As someone who was married mil-to-mil I share no sympathy towards mil-to-mil couples who bitch about not being assigned together. Both the USAF and sister services try their best to have folks stationed as close as possible. I knew a -135 pilot who constantly bitched that she couldn't get based with her Navy SWO husband. There should be no surprise that it may be difficult to base you or your spouse, based on their airframe, around the other's AFSC/airframe/branch. With that being said I know another -135 pilot who's 3-for-3 on assignments with his spouse who's in the USMC. Your mileage may vary, however I wouldn't bitch too much since you're both pulling down BAH.

And both paying for a house/apartment and the associated bills.

Was totally not bitching…like I said, it is something we entered into knowingly. I also posted this in a join spouse thread. I wasn't looking for your sympathy.

I find it hilarious that on this board as a whole people complain about Air Force leaders not caring about their people, and yet I just mention that join spouse is a dynamic I face with my career and people come out saying they don't give a f&*(&. That's fine, I just hope you are never in charge of me or someone else who has a family concern that would need your assistance is helping them out with their particular situation.

I don't think I'm special being join spouse, I just want it to be a factor to be legitamitely considered when I receive my next assignment. As you all know, the Air Force has regs in place to do so, but it really depends on whether that happens or not. I just wanted to pass along to others to be proactive in their assignments and not just assume that AFPC will take care of it.

Yawn.

My favorite is how commanders will go out of their way and move mountains to keep mil-mil together, but if you're a single guy? Well then fuck you, you get whatever the system gives you, you expendable single piece of shit, have fun in Clovis/Altus/MidwestSACBase playing with yourself.

I'm not saying it's not frustrating being mil-mil, but bitching about your petty troubles will probably alienate everyone else.

• 2 years later...

Hello looking for a little help in the joint spouse area. My girlfriend and I want to get married  we have been doing the distance thing for a while and we both know it's time. I just got base of preference  orders and moved to my new base about 3 weeks ago. She is Intel and can only go to very few stateside bases I am supply and have a lot more options. I'm just worried the fact that I just pcsed would cause a problem. Does anyone know if it is still possible or anyway to improve our situation?

• 9 months later...

I'm heading to UPT in a month, and the fiancée and I just got JOP married so she can join me on the PCS to Columbus before our December wedding. She's a paralegal in the Texas ANG with a bachelor's degree, waiting for an OTS board to commission into active duty. I hope to get an AMC slot after UPT, and C-17s are the top of my dreamsheet.

She isn't set on any one AFSC, and we want to maximize our chances of getting stationed together as often as possible. What officer careers are most compatible with rated spouses' assignments?

She's considering contracting, maybe LRO. She's more oriented toward political science than engineering, so she isn't interested in MX, engineering, etc. Personnel sounds like the safest bet, but... you know. Hopefully we can find something with a little more job satisfaction.

In your experiences, which AFSC "mil-to-pilot" couples have had the least trouble getting stationed together? Which AFSCs need to be avoided?

Thanks.