Blues on Monday

okienav

I was really hoping this Blues Monday thing had quietly gone the way of the Dodo...sorry to hear that it's still going strong.

On a marginally related note: [rant] why the hell does it take AAFES more than 6 months to get in a new shipment of flight caps in my size? For a while I just attributed it to the increased demand brought about by "Blues Monday," but now I realize it's entirely due to the complete incompetence of AAFES, the worst-managed business in the history of capitalism. Seriously, I've been to SIX DIFFERENT uniform stores in the last 6+ months, and exactly NONE of them had any in my size, unless you count the EIGHT flag officer flight caps that one uniform store had ON A BASE THAT HAD NO GENERALS! [/rant]

Sorry for the derail, just had to get that bit of frustration off my chest. Now back to the completely un-frustrating topic of Blues Monday...

I was really hoping this Blues Monday thing had quietly gone the way of the Dodo...sorry to hear that it's still going strong.

On a marginally related note: [rant] why the hell does it take AAFES more than 6 months to get in a new shipment of flight caps in my size? For a while I just attributed it to the increased demand brought about by "Blues Monday," but now I realize it's entirely due to the complete incompetence of AAFES, the worst-managed business in the history of capitalism. Seriously, I've been to SIX DIFFERENT uniform stores in the last 6+ months, and exactly NONE of them had any in my size, unless you count the EIGHT flag officer flight caps that one uniform store had ON A BASE THAT HAD NO GENERALS! [/rant]

Sorry for the derail, just had to get that bit of frustration off my chest. Now back to the completely un-frustrating topic of Blues Monday...

Ha...par for the course. When I was at Osan several years ago, they carried some really nice athletic socks (the rest being cheap, thin stuff) but after a while they disappeared. I asked the manager when they were getting more and his response was..." its too hard to keep them in stock [no shit, they sold like hotcakes] so we don't carry them anymore". I was too dumbfounded to give him an intelligent response and simply walked away shaking my head.

Edited by HiFlyer

Guest gonzo

Not quite Blues Monday, but along the same line of thought...

Our boss decided that before we deployed, the squadron should spend 15 grand on new ABUs for everyone so we could all have ABU Mondays downrange. Seems like the focus of the leadership is on the completely wrong things. Common trend...

Guest Krabs
Our boss decided that before we deployed, the squadron should spend 15 grand on new ABUs for everyone so we could all have ABU Mondays downrange.

Please tell me this is a joke.

Our boss decided that before we deployed, the squadron should spend 15 grand on new ABUs for everyone so we could all have ABU Mondays downrange. Seems like the focus of the leadership is on the completely wrong things. Common trend...

Are you serious? Please tell me this is an early April Fool's joke, because that's about the most retarded thing I've heard all week. Why would you want to do that?

Guest Hueypilot812

Probably for the same reasons they banned civilian shorts with belt loops and pockets...because we needed to keep a "professional image". Two things I wonder about...1) how does gym shorts look more professional than nice casual shorts...2) who are we looking professional for...each other?

So following that logic, yes, we probably will have to do ABU Mondays, because after all, we have to maintain our professional image at the Deid...

Probably for the same reasons they banned civilian shorts with belt loops and pockets...because we needed to keep a "professional image". Two things I wonder about...1) how does gym shorts look more professional than nice casual shorts...2) who are we looking professional for...each other?

So following that logic, yes, we probably will have to do ABU Mondays, because after all, we have to maintain our professional image at the Deid...

As opposed to what, wearing bags? Because bags are so much less professional...

100% serious, I shit you not. I guess bags just won't cut it at Ali on mondays anymore...

No shit, is this coming from the WG/CC, or his band of senior NCO mutawa he has terrorizing the place?

Christ, what's next?

No shit, is this coming from the WG/CC, or his band of senior NCO mutawa he has terrorizing the place?

Christ, what's next?

The SNCO mutawa! That's pretty f'in funny! I could see some E-9 pulling a club out of those ridiculous pockets on the inside of the blouse and giving someone a beat down for not having their shirt tucked in. How much :rainbow: er can deployed life get? Just forget about training for the fight, keeping supplies moving and supporting troops in contact. Mission number one is blues Monday, instituting assinine uniform policy, and filling sandbags.

I couldn't believe it when a MSgt stopped me on the way to the jet a couple of weeks ago and asked why I wasn't adhering to CSAF's policy and wearing blues. It wasn't like I didn't have a pubs bag and flight gear in hand. I gave him my office number and asked him to call me for an appt so we could talk about it and also address why he found it necessary to go out of his way to interfere with my takeoff time. The guy didn't even bother to salute when he approached me about my uniform "infraction" as he was so sure he was nailing some Capt for being in the wrong. :banghead:

No, it's very much here. My daughter calls it "dress-up Mondays."

Why can't they make it Wednesday or any day but Monday? Monday sucks enough on its own merit, it doesn't need a plus-up in suck factor.

Can't argue the suckage of Mondays, but look at it this way - a lot of federal holidays fall on Mondays...

Edited by Spoo

I gave him my office number and asked him to call me for an appt

:beer:

I hope you'll post the follow-up to this; I'd like to hear how this plays out....

look at it this way - a lot of federal holidays fall on Mondays...

2!!!

I couldn't believe it when a MSgt stopped me on the way to the jet a couple of weeks ago and asked why I wasn't adhering to CSAF's policy and wearing blues. It wasn't like I didn't have a pubs bag and flight gear in hand. I gave him my office number and asked him to call me for an appt so we could talk about it and also address why he found it necessary to go out of his way to interfere with my takeoff time. The guy didn't even bother to salute when he approached me about my uniform "infraction" as he was so sure he was nailing some Capt for being in the wrong. :banghead:

Wow...somebody needs to take that guy to task. Ok, so some NCOs blow off LTs...whatever. But by the time you're a captain, I'd think you're past the "don't know shit" phase of being an officer, and the MSgt should recognize that and still render proper customs and courtesies, even if he's making a correction. What an ass.

Wow...somebody needs to take that guy to task. Ok, so some NCOs blow off LTs...whatever. But by the time you're a captain, I'd think you're past the "don't know shit" phase of being an officer, and the MSgt should recognize that and still render proper customs and courtesies, even if he's making a correction. What an ass.

Um? Last time I checked, enlisted folks are not supposed to be correcting their superiors. I can't remember the last time I told General Betrayus that his gig line was out of wack and that his sun glasses were out of regs.

Same way I don't want some candy-stripper AF sgt telling me anything outside his area of responsibility.

Um? Last time I checked, enlisted folks are not supposed to be correcting their superiors. I can't remember the last time I told General Betrayus that his gig line was out of wack and that his sun glasses were out of regs.

Is that in reference to the full page ad campaign the ACLU took out in the New York times, or do you really believe that?

Yeah this is the latest and greatest idea coming from mentioned SQ/CC. That along with having mandatory PT during the deployment

I'm an LT where can I get in on that (only hot chicks please)? :thumbsup:

I don't get this "blues on monday" sh*& at all...how is it that everyone on this site (obviously including all different ranks) can agree that this is a horrible idea and yet this is still a policy. Maybe someone of higher ranking than myself can answer this but at what stage in the rank game do people start making decisions like this??? And can ANYONE explain how blues on monday is a good idea? What could possibly have been a good reason for this??..or perhaps a reason at all...anyone? Also I hear rumors of fighter pilots / fighter pilot bases just saying f*#$ it and not wearing blues on mondays at all...is this true...because if it is I wonder why heavy bases can't jump on board.

I don't get this "blues on monday" sh*& at all...how is it that everyone on this site (obviously including all different ranks) can agree that this is a horrible idea and yet this is still a policy. Maybe someone of higher ranking than myself can answer this but at what stage in the rank game do people start making decisions like this??? And can ANYONE explain how blues on monday is a good idea? What could possibly have been a good reason for this??..or perhaps a reason at all...anyone? Also I hear rumors of fighter pilots / fighter pilot bases just saying f*#$ it and not wearing blues on mondays at all...is this true...because if it is I wonder why heavy bases can't jump on board.

I'm sure the memo from the CSAF that made blues on monday mandatory is floating around somewhere. As far as different MAJCOM's wearing versus not wearing, a lot has to do with the way the schedules work. At heavy bases, you either know you're going to fly on monday (and therefore wear a flight suit) or you're not. For the most part, we don't show up with crew rest met if we aren't scheduled to fly. At fighter bases, that isn't always the case (at least the bases I'm familiar with (friends and family)). Depending on the scheduler, fighter types could be thrown into a sortie the same day it flies.

Edited by C17Driver

At fighter bases, that isn't always the case (at least the bases I'm familiar with (friends and family)). Depending on the scheduler, fighter types could be thrown into a sortie the same day it flies.

Yeah, like its hard to have your flight suit/boots on standby in you car just in case you need to fly that day. Even though I hate wearing blues as much as the next guy---this is probably one of the lamest excuses for needing to wear your bag on Monday.

This is why the NCOs feel so empowered to treat officers with such disresepect. LTs are still officers. Young, perhaps, inexperienced, yes, but still officers. But because we teach both NCOs and LTs that an LT has no authority, we teach everyone to put up with NCOs pretending they outrank CGOs. The result is guys like this MSgt.

Edited by pawnman