Blues on Monday

okienav

Received this email a few moments ago. I hope it is a hoax, but I fear it is not.

"A head's up. Starting 8 Sep 08, the direction from the new CSAF is that everyone in the AF will wear blues (not Class A blouse) every Monday.

Direction is forthcoming. This came from the recent off site the Chief had here in D.C. with all 4-stars and 2 letters."

Received this email a few moments ago. I hope it is a hoax, but I fear it is not.

"A head's up. Starting 8 Sep 08, the direction from the new CSAF is that everyone in the AF will wear blues (not Class A blouse) every Monday.

Direction is forthcoming. This came from the recent off site the Chief had here in D.C. with all 4-stars and 2 letters."

It's not even April dude.

Maybe the AF fashion police will change the uniform color to green next. I see the Army is switching over to blue uniforms. Geez!....Hawk

http://www.army.mil/asu/

Actually, the Army used blue uniforms from 1776 to 1962, according to that website. They are really going back to their roots.

Since the Air Force always has to be different, maybe they will change to gray. I can color-coordinate with my ancestors.

What are blues??

Yeah, no kidding. I had to wear my service dress a few months ago (1st time in about 4.5 yrs), and ended up popping a button off. I guess it gets frail sitting in the closet.

Theres no way they will follow through with stupid shit like this....if its actually true, which me thinks is not.

Guest Smoke_Jaguar4

*IF* this is true, I'm surprised they'd give such short notice. I'd expect at least 30 days to head off the impeding rush (and shortage) at AFEES. Also don't the enlisted troops get their uniform allowance in October?

However, it does mention the recent offsite, which was in this morning's AFA Daily Report:

A Long Agenda: Acting Air Force Secretary Michael Donley, Chief of Staff Gen. Norton Schwartz, and a small herd of senior generals convened at Bolling AFB, Md., for an off-site meeting Wednesday to plot a way ahead on a host of pressing Air Force issues. The summit was to decide--in no particular order--what USAF will do to increase the availability of unmanned aerial vehicles in the two combat theaters; whether to actually change over to a new uniform; whether to stick with or abandon the service's "Above All" recruiting and image-building TV ad campaign; how, when, and where to stand up Cyber Command; and whether to retool the Air Force's Roadmap, which lays out an overarching plan for every mission and program. The summiteers also aimed to solidify plans to re-establish USAF's bonafides in the nuclear mission, and, broadly, to restore accountability, confidence, and trust in the service. The leaders want their plan fully vetted and a consensus achieved so that when they present it at the Air Force Association's Air & Space Conference in Washington, D.C., in two weeks, there won't be any confusion about the way ahead.

UAV's, uniforms, cyberspace, AF Roadmap... it looks like this year the AFA Convention may actually be worth attending (despite the $450 cover charge)

And BTW, Bolling is in DC, not MD

Well, it looks like I was right. When his new CSAF letter was posted, I said it was the same rehash and the response I got was, "No, this guys a good dude...he'll be different." To which I responded

motivational speeches are one thing - actions are another. Here's to hoping he backs up the talk so we can stop worrying about stupid shit like new uniforms.

Looks like his first major action just flies straight in the face of that. Here's to the same bullshit with a different face.

:vomit:

Touche.

As one of the guys that said he'll be different, I stand by to eat my words. However, I still haven't seen anything official about this uniform sh!t. I will confirm that this has been batted around where I work for a while now, so it wouldn't surprise me. Of course, after 6 months passed and no change, I thought it might have died, but apparently it is alive and well at higher levels.

Also, we'll have to wait and see what is presented at AFA if that is going to be the "coming out" (sts) of the new message for the USAF. I'm still hoping that he can'x the new Service dress and then starts to fix the things that we all know are broken and being ignored.

Also don't the enlisted troops get their uniform allowance in October?

We get our clothing allowance in the month that we entered the AF, or close to it...I started basic June 12 so my clothing allowance is in my 1 July paycheck (too close to June 15th paycheck to get it in that one).

Yeah, no kidding. I had to wear my service dress a few months ago (1st time in about 4.5 yrs), and ended up popping a button off. I guess it gets frail sitting in the closet.

Uh, I don't think it was the button getting "Frail" that caused it to pop....

Looks like his first major action just flies straight in the face of that. Here's to the same bullshit with a different face.

:vomit:

Shack. It blows my mind that in a time when:

We can't figure out how in the hell (after 4 years) to man UAVs

We can't keep our nuke (in)security off the front page of the Sunday paper

We can't keep about 90% of our Captains from wanting to bail at the first opportunity

We are fighting a fvcking war for the love of God

...our leadership is so out of touch that when they get into power they think that something like dress-up Mondays should be anywhere near worthy of discussion. How about this numbnuts, figure out some solutions to the real problems the AF is facing, then worry about when you want us to dress up or or what Patch-Con is in effect on Fridays.

Different leadership, same old shit.

:flipoff:

We can't keep about 90% of our Captains from wanting to bail at the first opportunity

...our leadership is so out of touch that when they get into power they think that something like dress-up Mondays should be anywhere near worthy of discussion. How about this numbnuts, figure out some solutions to the real problems the AF is facing, then worry about when you want us to dress up or or what Patch-Con is in effect on Fridays.

2. Who the f!ck promotes these douchebags?

70384439_ba1fd5b9de.jpg

There hasn't been an official email/message sent out about it. I'd hold off on jumping.

I'll agree with Boom. It's a rumor and NO ONE has an official e-mail in their inbox yet. From what that article said, it sounds like Schwartz is actually looking at issues that need attention.

On a separate note, did anyone else catch in that article that they changed the AF mission statement? "The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight and win...in air, space and cyberspace."

Yeah, they kept the cyberspace part. But still other than that it's back to the old mission statement. No more "sovreign options" bullshit. When Moseley changed that mission statement, he had PA run about 20 articles on it.

HD

Edited by HerkDerka

I'll agree with Boom. It's a rumor and NO ONE has an official e-mail in their inbox yet. From what that article said, it sounds like Schwartz is actually looking at issues that attention.

On a separate note, did anyone else catch in that article that they changed the AF mission statement? "The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight and win...in air, space and cyberspace."

Yeah, they kept the cyberspace part. But still other than that it's back to the old mission statement. No more "sovreign options" bullshit. When Moseley changed that mission statement, he had PA run about 20 articles on it.

HD

I'm with HD and Boom...until someone produces an official notification of said uniform policy, it is only a rumor.

I also saw the revised mission statement, and am equally glad that the BS in the old one is gone. I hope this is the direction that the new CSAF is going, and that this 'blues on Monday' crap is myth.

That said, I am not even going to work on Monday as it is a holiday and even us slimy contractors get the day off! :rock:

Cheers! M2

I like where this is going...

New Mission Statement: The Air Force earlier this week revised its mission statement, adding one key word but otherwise trimming the verbiage. The new statement reads: "The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight, and win ... in air, space, and cyberspace." Gone is the part about delivering "sovereign options for the defense of the United States of America and its global interests." But no longer is the mission only to fly and fight, but rather to fly, fight, and win. The new statement is "simple and easy to understand," said Gen. Norton Schwartz, Chief of Staff. He added: "This is who we are. It's what motivates us and drives us to serve." The revamped language emerged from the strategic summit held Wednesday at Bolling AFB, D.C., that brought together senior service leaders including Schwartz and Acting Secretary Michael Donley to plot the path ahead for the service and to reach decisions on selected issues. For example, plans to realign maintenance units for fighter and combat search and rescue aircraft with their flying units have been scrubbed as have plans to field new service dress uniforms. In the latter case, efforts will be placed instead on correcting issues with the present airman battle uniform, all purpose environmental clothing system jacket, and physical training gear.

(From AFA's Daily Report)

Guest Smoke_Jaguar4
I'll agree with Boom. It's a rumor and NO ONE has an official e-mail in their inbox yet. From what that article said, it sounds like Schwartz is actually looking at issues that need attention.

HD

On Cyberspace:

Removing it from the mission statement is a political problem. When the effort was paused, some of the locations lobbying for the HQ went to their respective congressional delegations. Here's an example from Louisiana. Cyberspace is no longer about the best use of the AF; it's now local pork.

My prediction:

Gen Schwartz will continue to keep 'evaluating' cyberspace until after the election. Once that's done, the USAF will look at the new political landscape and either press with a reduced cyberspace mission or drop it altogether.

SJ4

As a former AF dude, acknowledging that it doesn't personally impact me, I have a huge problem with PT gear being treated as a fricken uniform. I can see if you have a bunch of guys in a training environment (OTS, leadership classes, etc) you might have PT gear that matches so that you look like a cohesive unit while running or training. But, after you are out of training and at your base I can't see what benefit there is in having everyone at the base gym wearing a matching PT "uniform". It sounds like that happens TDY and not at home base but even so I would be irritated at best with the situation. And from posts on here it sounds like commanders and first shirts are acting like you have to have the stupid thing ironed and pressed and a perfect gig line even when running or working out in your "uniform". There are even posts that suggest you should render a salute while wearing workout clothes if you happen to pass by a staff car (screw that!!!). They would have to get out and look me in the face and tell me what they expect before I'd salute their car while running or going to the gym in PT gear to work out. I'm all for rendering proper salutes and showing respect to senior officers but I'm going to have to throw the BS flag on this whole PT "uniform" thing!!

PS: On topic...I would also hate the idea of having to wear blues at all, much less every Monday. That would suck majorly, in my opinion. I only wore my blues about 4 or 5 times in 7 years of AD flying and that was for special staff meeting days or events.

Guest Sebastian

It's simple:

1. If you fly, wear a flight suit.

2. If you fix planes, wear coveralls.

3. If you work outside the wire, wear ABUs/BDUs.

4. If you sit at a desk all day, count money and play solitaire wear blues.