Blues on Monday

okienav

It's official- I'm looking at the memo dated 4 Sept. Hooray!! I hate blues.

I can tell you we're not wearing blues on Monday. No one at the squadron has even heard of this nonsense, and they looked at me as if I had sprouted an extra eyeball when I asked them about it.

Guest Sebastian
Prior to the events of September 11, 2001, it was common practice for a majority of Air Force members to wear the blue uniform as their duty uniform. While MAJCOM policies often differed, it was also common practice to wear utility uniforms one day a week. Post 9-11 we've moved away from our blue uniforms almost altogether and have transformed into an Air Force that wears our utility uniform on a daily basis.

During our recent 4-Star summit, we had several discussions concerning our uniforms, including the wear of our blue uniform on a routine basis. We all agreed that part of our image, culture, and professionalism is instilled in our blues. As a result, effective 8 Sep 08, the blue uniform will be the duty uniform worn every Monday by the Air Force uniformed personnel in appropriate career fields and environments as determined by your installation commander.

Installation commanders have authority to adjust this policy to meet mission requirements (e.g., AOR, exercises, etc.).

May the Schwartz be with you.

So this is what what the most senior leaders had "several discussions" about?

Combining AMXS and OPS...we'll get to that...cyber command...later...UAVs, tankers...maybe some other time. Ladies and Gentlemen may I remind you that we only have a limited time together. Let's only discuss absolute pressuring issues please. Blues!

http://www.acc.af.mil/shared/media/documen...-080904-072.PDF

yikes... blues tues...err monday here we come.

zmoney

This is total horse shit. While I don't have a problem moving us (back?) toward the blue uniform, this is such a blatantly forced, artificial solution.

Only Mondays? So on Tuesday - Friday it makes sense for 'A1C Cruststache' to wear utilities in the finance shop?

Somebody at Randolph told me that everyone wears utilities to "support our deployed warfighters". I've now decided that this person was either full of shit or we've now made it a policy to only "support" them four days a week.

Don't get me wrong, i'm definitely not pushing for more blues. But this policy just highlights the issue and doesn't address it appropriately. Plus it makes Mondays suck even worse. :flipoff:

It seems to me a ballsier solution (and the one that I suspect the Schwartz WANTS to employ) would be as follows:

Flyers who fly - Bags

People who do dirty jobs during the duty day (as defined by installation CC) - ABU

Office workers and staff officers (including non flying flyers) - Blues

(and while you're at it, tell your DOD civilians to stop dressing like chodes and lose the baggy hawaiin shirts and crocs)

The last time they pulled this shit (it only lasted around two months or so in 2004, I think) I wore my flight boots and my wheel hat with the short sleeve shirt/tie combo. It pissed off the leadership, but I think I got my point across.

I got a ton of grief from our Navy aviators the one time I had to wear BDUs to the office. One even sent for more flight suits for me from his closing S-3 unit.

This will be the ultimate in humiliation. The Army, Navy, and Marines in our building will be laughing their asses off at the Air Farce trying to be 'different' again.

Above All...

This will be the ultimate in humiliation. The Army, Navy, and Marines in our building will be laughing their asses off at the Air Farce trying to be 'different' again.

Above All...

How do the other services handle the bag wearing issue? My understanding was that it wasn't really a problem for them, and that it is well understood among those services that the only people who would be wearing a bag would be those who stand a reasonable chance of being put on the flying schedule that day, is this not the case? I've seen lots of marine aviators in digies with wings sewn on.

Come on people, it's obvious this is something that Gen Schwartz had in mind before ever taking this job. I imagine the "discussion" about this topic lasted all of 30 seconds and went something like:

Gen Schwartz: BDUs being the normal uniform is crap, if you're not flying or getting dirty you should be in blues.

Someone else: But sir we're supporting blah blah blah

Gen Schwartz: Fine one day a week then, it's done.

Someone else: Yes sir

We need someone to come up with the most insane, but legal, blues combo. If all baseops-ers wore the combo (that is crazy but legal) it'd be like giving the finger to ridiculous management. So any suggestions- I like the wheel cap, short sleeves, tie, boots (maybe bloused if legal) cardigan. what am i missing?

We need someone to come up with the most insane, but legal, blues combo. If all baseops-ers wore the combo (that is crazy but legal) it'd be like giving the finger to ridiculous management. So any suggestions- I like the wheel cap, short sleeves, tie, boots (maybe bloused if legal) cardigan. what am i missing?

Your F'ing reflective belt! :nob:

Oh, I also always enjoyed the regulation "Blackberry holster". Maybe a "Above All" Fanny pack?

Never had a staff job? I hope when/if you get a staff tour, it'll be 5 day a week blues mandatory.

No, I've never had a staff job. And I know it sucks to wear blues. But are you saying that as a rated pilot you're "entitled" to a bag in an office setting with no chance of flying and somebody who isn't a pilot is not? I'm talking about practical, functionality of the uniform.

It doesn't make sense to make airman snuffy who works at the MPF wear blues while Major General Magee over at the Pentagon sits at his desk in a bag.

For what it's worth, I'd be ok with doing away with blues and only having bags and ABUs...but that's off the table for now.

No, I've never had a staff job. And I know it sucks to wear blues. But are you saying that as a rated pilot you're "entitled" to a bag in an office setting with no chance of flying and somebody who isn't a pilot is not? I'm talking about practical, functionality of the uniform.

It doesn't make sense to make airman snuffy who works at the MPF wear blues while Major General Magee over at the Pentagon sits at his desk in a bag.

For what it's worth, I'd be ok with doing away with blues and only having bags and ABUs...but that's off the table for now.

Do you fly everyday? According to the "practical, funtionality of the uniform," you should wear blues when you're not flying.

I still have rank from 7 years ago on my blues, and i think I threw my shoes away a few years back.

Do you fly everyday? According to the "practical, funtionality of the uniform," you should wear blues when you're not flying.

I still have rank from 7 years ago on my blues, and i think I threw my shoes away a few years back.

I would say that the argument could be made that anybody who might fly during the day, could be authorized a bag. As a blanket policy it would be easier to just allow all flyers in an ops squadron the bag as a duty uniform.

I also think your comment about your blues just reinforces the point that the Schwartz is trying to make.

Again, I HATE wearing blues. But if it's going to be a duty uniform for ANYONE, there needs to be good reason for some people to be immune. Entitlement just doesn't do it for me.

My personal take is that if leadership wants people to go back to wearing blues as the default, then if you're a line dog assigned to a flying squadron, you wear a flight suit, from the commander on down. If you're staff, be it wing, group or majcom you wear a flight suit when you know you're going to fly. Then again I don't think blues are all that bad. Sure they look stupid with the powder blue up get we currently have, but ultimately we should be acting as a professional force. I don't really have a problem with our representatives dressing like professional students of warfare.

On Cardigan Mondays, I believe that a pair of BCGs would be final piece of flair to make the outfit complete. So, let's see...that brings the uniform up to wheel cap, cardigan, short sleeve blue shirt, tie, ribbons, full-sized badges, flight boots, and BCGs. If that doesn't deserve a hearty "Airpower!" then I don't know what does. :thumbsup:

Guest Smoke_Jaguar4
Your F'ing reflective belt! :nob:

Oh, I also always enjoyed the regulation "Blackberry holster". Maybe a "Above All" Fanny pack?

We need to petition the Virtual Unform Board for our own version of the Navy's Tropical uniform. That would so f'ing rock!

em_15.jpg