"Red Eagles: America's Secret MiGs"

Steve Davies

Finished it the other night. Great stuff. Not a pilot but would have loved to be a fly on the wall out there during the years. Really wish the maintainers would have ponied up some info for the book. I'm sure some of the miracles they pulled off on a daily basis will be good fodder for another book :)

• 2 weeks later...

It seems to be back ordered from every source and by luck I found a copy at a local book store. So far it is one of the best reads I have ever had! Great work on the book, I just can't seem to put it down. It will come in real handy burning holes in the sky during Mission Employment next month!

Steve,

Thanks again for the great book. This book actually tied some very intersting things together for me. When I was at Safety School in Jan 01 on of the instructors there was the Flight Safety Officer for the F-117 program. Funny, the way he described the interview process and the trip to the hangar to see the aircraft (what the hell is that thing) was spot on from your book. He also hinted that his job included some other things that were still classified. Makes me wonder if they started brining safety officers out there after the Mig-17 crash.

• 1 month later...

Picked up a copy at the BX and read it (before I knew there was a thread on it...). Excellent read if you want to know about this kind of history. It gets a little dry when it gets into who's in charge of what and who's the next guy who took over XYZ...

Other than that, ya'll will enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

Related in that it's the same author, Steve Davies:

In the current LOGBOOK Magazine, there is a good excerpt from Steve's "F-15 Eagle Engaged" book as well as a review of the book.

I also recommend the magazine, started a few years ago by a former USN ASW pilot (helos, I think, but Dave might have driven P-3s) who now flies commercially.

LOGBOOK puts out some pretty good "there I was" stories, some entertaining aviation historical stuff, and some good photos.

Sorry to sound like a pimp for it, but I'd like to see a flyer make good at telling the stories.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry for thread necro...

I was going through the May issue of Air & Space and saw a writeup for this in the Reviews and Previews section. It reminded me I have to pick this up! This book seems to have gotten a lot of attention; well done.

Sorry for thread necro...

I was going through the May issue of Air & Space and saw a writeup for this in the Reviews and Previews section. It reminded me I have to pick this up! This book seems to have gotten a lot of attention; well done.

Thanks, Fuse.

Cheers

Steve

• 1 year later...

Thanks, Gents.

I've had a number of emails about the list from Red Eagles, all of whom echo the comments here; how typical of the men whose mantra was "be humble, you cool fucker". The truth is that I just wrote a book - these guys are the ones who made history. beer.gif to them.

• Upvote 5