Part 135 Question

Guest Unconfirmed Source

Guest regularjoe

I am fairly sure there are a couple of 135 and airline guys on here but given the amount of pilots I am hoping if nothing else maybe someone knows someone or has some insite.

I have received an offer to get some rightseat fixed-wing time with Lifeflight doing organ flights and medical transport.

Does anyone have any insite on how good of a gig this is?

They state that it is mostly on-call so I know what that is going to do for QOL but seems like some good flying when they have it.

Thoughts/ Recommendations?

Secondly I have applied for EG&G and while I meet all their requirements I haven't heard anything from them for about a month, is this normal?

When I try and get any status from them all I get is we have received your package and will get back to you. Is this a sort of "thanks for trying now piss off" response or is it the standard hurry up and wait routine?

I am fairly sure there are a couple of 135 and airline guys on here but given the amount of pilots I am hoping if nothing else maybe someone knows someone or has some insite.

I have received an offer to get some rightseat fixed-wing time with Lifeflight doing organ flights and medical transport.

Does anyone have any insite on how good of a gig this is?

They state that it is mostly on-call so I know what that is going to do for QOL but seems like some good flying when they have it.

Thoughts/ Recommendations?

Secondly I have applied for EG&G and while I meet all their requirements I haven't heard anything from them for about a month, is this normal?

When I try and get any status from them all I get is we have received your package and will get back to you. Is this a sort of "thanks for trying now piss off" response or is it the standard hurry up and wait routine?

The "ride-along" stuff is nebulous at best. What type of airplane is it? If no SIC is required, you can't log SIC time. If you are going to be the sole manipulator on empty legs, there are a couple of considerations:

You need to have three TOL's with an instructor first.

If you're going to log the time as PIC, you had better be prepared during a job interview to answer all ATP level, oral-type questions about the airplane you flew. No kidding. Bold-Face, ops limits, sytems - you name it. You'd better have it down cold or you'll be shown the door.

Regarding your resume, here's the thing: Nobody is going to go through their big stack of resume's and pick yours out for a phone call, unless there are special circumstances. (You have a ton of time in their airframe and are current.)

You'll get hired by showing continued interest in the position. That means the occasional visit to express that you're still interested. Wear a suit. Be polite. If you're currently working as a pilot, wear the uniform you have now. If you're genuine and earnest, eventually they'll hire you just to get you to quit bugging them.

Best of luck, if you need help or advice, give me a call anytime.

LJDRVR

281 859 8459

Guest regularjoe
The "ride-along" stuff is nebulous at best. What type of airplane is it? If no SIC is required, you can't log SIC time. If you are going to be the sole manipulator on empty legs, there are a couple of considerations:

You need to have three TOL's with an instructor first.

If you're going to log the time as PIC, you had better be prepared during a job interview to answer all ATP level, oral-type questions about the airplane you flew. No kidding. Bold-Face, ops limits, sytems - you name it. You'd better have it down cold or you'll be shown the door.

Regarding your resume, here's the thing: Nobody is going to go through their big stack of resume's and pick yours out for a phone call, unless there are special circumstances. (You have a ton of time in their airframe and are current.)

You'll get hired by showing continued interest in the position. That means the occasional visit to express that you're still interested. Wear a suit. Be polite. If you're currently working as a pilot, wear the uniform you have now. If you're genuine and earnest, eventually they'll hire you just to get you to quit bugging them.

Best of luck, if you need help or advice, give me a call anytime.

LJDRVR

A/C is a Lear 36 but I didn't know the level of the interview was going to be as intense as you described so I will make sure to brush up on all my numbers before talking to them next week. On my initial talk with them (LF) they seemed pretty informal about everything but of course that is just the "management" talking. I will do my best to be polite and keep after both of them per your advise.

Thanks very much for the response.

RJ

Hacker - McCarren it is and my clearence is current but probably not "on file" with them if that is what you meant. I am just not used to the apply and wait and don't hear anything routine.

A/C is a Lear 36 but I didn't know the level of the interview was going to be as intense as you described so I will make sure to brush up on all my numbers before talking to them next week. On my initial talk with them (LF) they seemed pretty informal about everything but of course that is just the "management" talking. I will do my best to be polite and keep after both of them per your advise.

Thanks very much for the response.

RJ

OK, my mistake, I see what you're up to. My advice was for somebody logging empty leg time on an AC that doesn't require an SIC. Those folks are the ones that need to be able to discuss the airplane they flew during their next interview. Good luck on the Learjet job, I flew those for almost six years - great airplanes. Sounds like you're interviewing for a real position.

Guest pilotapplicant

Dear Regularjoe,

I flew Part 135 freight and charter for several years and have a little experience with the SIC requirements. It all boils down to the Ops. Specs. of the company. For IFR operations under 135 you either need an autopilot or a copilot (see 135.101 and 135.105). Additionally, many companies have internal policies that require a copilot even when one would not necessarily be required by part 135. If a company has such a policy they would have language to that effect in their Ops. Specs. The use of a copilot can add value for the customer as well as provide a significant discount on insurance premiums.

Some Part 135 freight operators take advantage of the ability to include in their Ops. Specs. the ability to use copilots on some flight. They then sell the copilot "job" to a pilot trying to build time. Since you can't officially pay to come to work, the operator pays the copilot a minimum wage, the copilot pays a third party flight school something like $50/hour for the flight experience, and the flight school pays the operator for the use of the right seat. This experience is regarded by most people as the least valuable experience you can get. It is mostly used by foreign students who don't have the ability to work in the US to build time. The existence of this "scam" has cast a pall over the very legitimate experience to be gained as a copilot under Part 135.

This sounds to me like a legitimate and pretty good deal. Generally the definition of "on call" that the med flight operations have is being available on your cell phone at home with about a thirty minuet call back. If you intend to do this as your only source of income you should ask some questions about standby pay and average flight hours per month/year (if they tell you "it varies" ask the pilots who work there for some examples of the ranges). I have friends that do this as well as flight instruct or do non-flying work and the combination can be made to work pretty well.

If you are a required copilot and if you are getting paid you should get some legitimate training and the experience will be an asset to your resume. Part 135 experience is highly valued by airlines, corporate aircraft operators, and fractional ownership companies.

Good Luck,

Pilotapplicant

Edited by pilotapplicant