Service/branch United States Air Force

Years of service 1972-2006

Rank General

Commands held U.S. Air Forces in Europe

Awards

Defense Superior Service Medal

Sam Il Korean National Security Medal

Cheon-Su Korean National Security Medal

Medalla De Oro por Servicio Distinguido, El Salvador (Gold Medal for Distinguished Service)

Mérito Aeronáutico, Uruguay (Aeronautical Merit)

Mérito Aeronáutico, Bolivia

Cruz de la Fuerza Aérea, Colombia (Air Force Cross, Great Cross category)

Cruz de las Fuerzas Armadas, Honduras (Armed Forces Cross)

Cruz de la Fuerza Aérea, Guatemala

Cruz Peruana al Mérito Aeronáutico, clase Gran Cruz, Perú (Peruvian Cross of Aeronautical Merit, Great Cross category)

La Medalla Legion al Mérito Confraternidad Aérea Interamericana (Legion of Merit, System of Cooperation Among the American Air Forces, SICOFAA)

Other work President of Mississippi State University

General Robert H. "Doc" Foglesong (USAF, Ret.) formerly of Williamson, West Virginia is a former President of [[Mississippi State University], and was asked to leave after exerting a self-absorbed personality, to include performing his own flyovers at the football games. He served in the United States Air Force from April 1972 until retirement as general in February 2006.

Contents

[hide]

* 1 Education

* 2 Air Force Career

* 3 Mississippi State University

* 4 Present

* 5 See also

* 6 External links

* 7 References

[edit] Education

Combat Foglesong earned the degrees BSc, MSc and PhD at West Virginia University in chemical engineering in 1968, 1969 and 1971 respectively. He holds an honorary Doctorate in Strategic Intelligence, and is a Distinguished Alumnus of West Virginia University [1]. He was selected by the West Virginia Education Alliance as a Graduate of Distinction [2], and was selected by the West Virginia Executive Magazine as the Patriot of the Year for 2005 [3].

[edit] Air Force Career

Foglesong attained the rank of four-star general in the United States Air Force, retiring from active duty after 33 years of service. His last post was as Commander of U.S. Air Forces in Europe and of Allied Air Component Command Ramstein. Many in the Air Force still regard his changes as "strange" and many folks are prevented from even uttering his name, lest you buy everyone in your presence a beer. More commonly refered to as "He whose name shall not be spoken."

[edit] Mississippi State University

Foglesong was President of MSU from 2006 to 31 March 2008. And not a very good one.

[edit] Present

He heads a scholarship program in West Virginia called the Appalachian Leadership and Educational Foundation, which he founded. He helped to establish the Appalachian Leadership Honors Program.

Damn! WTF! The douche must have some type of Wiki-Alarm on his account!

I think the Wiki entries are hilarious, but you guys are doing it wrong.

If you call him "Combat Foglesong" and refer to him as an idiot, then yes, it's going to get deleted. His page has been under attack since shortly after this thread start (not to mention I'm sure there are individuals who have never been here who have defaced his page) and so...yes...I bet he - or somebody who actually likes the guy - watches that page. So you need to change your tactics: If you make legitimate references and provide hyperlinks to his failed achievements, then that's fair game IMO.

Don't say stuff like "He is a complete assclown and everybody who served under him hates him." Say something like, "Foglesong's eclectic programs were privately rebuked by the military members on whom they fell," with a footnote that hyperlinks to this thread.

Then say something like, "Even in his post-retirement employment at MSU, Foglesong continued his attempt at instituting these policies at the University. Contrary to the military populace which could not openly decry the eccentric policies, the University students and faculty openly resisted his policies." and hyperlink to one of the many MSU articles or Op/Ed pieces about what a kook he is. And so on and so forth - with a valid source document, anything is possible.

Now - if THAT gets deleted, you get the Wiki moderators (or whatever it is) involved. Tell them that whoever is deleting the information is preventing verified information from being portrayed because this guy has a God complex. I would do it myself, but I've never tinkered with the Wikipedia edit and honestly I don't care to learn. But if you guys are already messing with it, do it the right way.

Subtlety is sometimes good.

Doc on ITunes:

I download C-Span podcast from ITunes and a few days ago came across one with Doc himself. I listened to the first 3or4 minutes. Sounded like it was recorded at an outdoor environment. He introduced himself, and his program/foundation thing "Appalachian" something or another. There was little applause and a smattering of groans and long sigh's. Kind of a "here we go" groan or sigh.

Not sure but I think it was on the "Oustide the Beltway" section of the C-Span podcast. Not hard to find if you happen to be curious, as cspan on leaves up recent programs.

• 2 months later...

*REVIVAL*

Sorry to bring back bad memories...

But this guy didn't have anything to do with "Combat Cooler Cola" did he? I just noticed a 6-pack of this stuff tucked away in a corner of a display case at the vet's memorial museum I help at, and couldn't help but think of this thread.

And on a completely unrelated note...

Doc can go eat a bowl of COMBAT DICK.

Priceless!

Article from the US Army on Toxic Leadership: http://www.carlisle.army.mil/usawc/dclm/Toxic_Leadership.pdf

I never knew or served under Fogledouche, but I have experienced many people like him in my short time in the military. I think one of the worst things is seeing a leader try to leave his legacy, and enact more useless programs at the end of their tenure. I would say these types get promoted the majority of the time, because they are willing to do whatever their leadership at the top wants them to do. I wish the "Peter Principle" would be adhered to in these cases, but I do not believe this will ever happen.

• 2 months later...

Doc's wikipedia page has been thoroughly cleansed, and in all amounts to about a long paragraph now. Must have somebody watchdogging it for him. All it says about his time at Mississippi State is that he was there...nothing else, at all.

Found this little article today: http://www.msstate.edu/web/media/detail.php?id=3637

STARKVILLE, Miss.--Mississippi State President Robert H. "Doc" Foglesong will fly an open cockpit biplane over Davis Wade Stadium Saturday [Oct. 28] prior to the Bulldogs' 1:30 p.m. Southeastern Conference clash with Kentucky.

A veteran pilot and former four-star general in the U.S. Air Force, Foglesong will fly the1940s-era, PT-17 Stearman craft as a salute to aviation pioneers of the past and MSU's own nationally recognized Raspet Flight Research Laboratory.

"I'm going to fly this Stearman over the stadium because of the proud aviation legacy we have here at Mississippi State," Foglesong said in reference to the flight lab, which has used the bi-wing plane to tow gliders for more than half a century.

"I took my FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) physical earlier this week and I have a pilot's license, so I'm perfectly legitimate to go up and fly this airplane," added the West Virginia native, who was inaugurated as MSU's 18th president earlier this fall.

The commander of U.S. Air Forces in Europe prior to his retirement from the military in December 2005, Foglesong has piloted some 30 different aircraft over his lengthy career, from propeller-driven craft to jets. They've included the sophisticated F-16 jet fighter--with a top speed of 1,500 miles per hour--and the heavier B-52 bomber.

He will fly the Stearman--which he's never piloted before--at a top speed of about 110 miles an hour at an altitude of approximately 1,500 feet immediately after the Famous Maroon Band plays the National Anthem at Scott Field.

"This will be my first time ever to fly the Stearman," Foglesong acknowledged. "It will be my first time in an open-cockpit airplane. "It's going to be great fun, and I'm really looking forward to it. I hope the weather stays good and that we beat the Wildcats."

Foglesong said he plans practice flights prior to the weekend event. Also, as a safety precaution, he will be joined in the two-seat craft by Phil Bridges, an experienced Raspet biplane pilot and MSU professor emeritus of aeronautical engineering.

"Somebody once told me the definition of getting old was when there are more endings than beginnings in your life," said the 61-year-old president, who jogs five miles a day, has run wind sprints with members of the MSU football team and occasionally sings lead for his own campus band, called Bark.

"I'm trying to reverse that trend and have more beginnings than endings," he added. "This is a beginning for me."

The Stearman, which has become the generic name for almost all currently flown biplanes, is a classic aircraft known for its simple construction, rugged dependability and nimble handling. The Stearman Kaydet, as it was officially named, was the only American aircraft used during World War II that was completely standardized for both Army and Navy use as the PRT 13D (Army) and N2S-4 (Navy).

The Boeing PT-17 began life as a PT-13 primary trainer, but was purchased from Army Surplus in 1950 for use in towing gliders for aerophysics research at Starkville's Bryan Field, where Raspet lab has forged a national reputation.

David Lawrence, director of Raspet, which is a research unit of MSU's department of aeronautical engineering in the Bagley College of Engineering, said the Stearman was flown from Texas to MSU. Subsequently, the plane was outfitted with a new 450-horsepower engine.

"The aircraft was used for crop duster research and has remained as the primary vehicle for towing research gliders to high altitudes," Lawrence added. "We also use it today as a tow plane in our ultra light unmanned aerial vehicle sensor program."

-30-

"has run wind sprints with members of the MSU football team and occasionally sings lead for his own campus band, called Bark."

I forgot about that...UFB...

I added that to his wikipedia. Hopefully it won't be deleted.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PeteyPants

Sorry to revive a dead horse, but man, what an entertaining thread! I was looking through USAFE pictures tonight and rejoiced that Fogey was gone, and out of morbid curiosity just HAD to google the son of a bitch to see what happened to him.

I was stationed at Ramstein from Sep. 2002-June 2005 and experienced his mania first hand one peaceful night at the USAFE AMOCC. It was just me and my senoir controller, sitting around, forwarding funny emails to each other and cuttin up with the flight plan dude. I'd say it was about 5 a.m. when the phone rings and it is the devil himself on the other line yelling at me to get the senoir on the phone. Just my luck of course that he was in the throne room at that moment, so I had to put Fogelpuss on hold and knock on the men's restroom door to tell an O5 that he was on the phone and was pissed. And why he called us I have no idea. Guess he just needed someone to rip on before sunrise. It was just awful for me, a little SrA, to have to answer that call, but I'm sure it was worse for the other guy.

I remember how WTF? everyone was when Spar01 changed to Mingo. I always sat there looking at my screen thinking "What the shit is a Mingo, anyway?" Caused a lot of problems with blanket dip clearances, ugh, who knows what else...

Oh, and the dildo jokes about his "Pocket Rocket" provided plenty of entertainment.

One day during his reign of terror I had to go to the clinic and had my brother along with me. We got close to the building and I hear "Ohh, soft!" I turn around and he is trampling all over the Combat Grass!!! I told him to please get off the grass before some poor guy has to come along and stand it back up.

How long did the damn near everyone has to wear blues thing last? I remember it applied to everyone in my office, day or night, until they somehow got it changed and we shift workers were in BDU's again.

I heard a story from a coworker of mine at Holloman that, when out on one of his infamous morning jogs, he broke red and a shitstorm ensued. Don't remember what base, may have been Holloman before I was stationed there. Never did I dream that I would encounter the bastard just a couple years later. I even shook his hand. Luckily assholery isn't a germ.

I think I will peruse the boards and see what other Fogelshenanigans I can find!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest boredwith9to5
If any of you would like to have the privilege of talking to him, then the goofballs on his staff who are controlling his website put all of his true contact information on there.

http://alefwv.com/contactus.htm

Posted from link, in case it gets removed.

ALEF

P.O. Box 1638

Williamson, WV 25661

Gen. (Ret.) "Doc" Foglesong

President

phone: (304) 542-6846

nineg@sbcglobal.net

Mary Humphrey

Executive Assistant

phone: (304) 543-2116

mhumphrey117@yahoo.com

ALEF Board Of Directors

Guest BAK12
Then two of my prayers would be answered!

Cheers! M2

Wasn't the Chief of Staff at the time aware of what was going on with this guy? If so, why didn't he do something about it??

BAK 12

Guest bargiel20

I guess I will be getting a chance to talk to him in person, since he is going to be the guest speaker at my UPT graduation. These threads don't sound too promising.

I guess I will be getting a chance to talk to him in person

I would highly recommend passing on that. I feel sorry for your class - don't you guys get to pick your speaker? If so, doesn't at least one person read this board?

I would highly recommend passing on that. I feel sorry for your class - don't you guys get to pick your speaker? If so, doesn't at least one person read this board?

The speakers are pretty much chosen for the classes, unless someone happens to know a 3 star and gets them to request it.

Guest Form 8
The speakers are pretty much chosen for the classes, unless someone happens to know a 3 star and gets them to request it.

So who's the tool who picked him?

Guest LTB@UPT

Originally our speaker was going to be the Vice CC of AETC, so we just left it at that. Nobody else in the class had anybody in mind. The other day I asked the Captain in charge of graduation if the speaker was still the same, and he informed me that it had changed to "Doc". Some in the class had heard of him, others not so much. I guess the base PA chose him because he was a former base CC here and was also the president at MSU. I'm assuming that's why they chose him. After reading this forum, I'm not looking forward to it. I at least hope he's a good speaker.

I at least hope he's a good speaker.

I absolutely guarantee you he is not. Think of the good speakers in the past and things they talked out; the state of the Air Force, their history with the military, and things they have accomplished.

Doc is the epitome of things that are wrong with the Air Force, he is a micro manager to the nth degree, and his lack of operational and combat time along with his tactical capability is laughable.

So I don't know what he's going to talk about, but I would put my two cents on BS irrelevant garbage or self-inflating tales.

Has there ever been 21K reviewers to one topic?

Yeah, a few more

2rh49ie.jpg

But it looks like Doc's in the top half percent of threads.