Good workout to prep for PFT?

Guest F16crewdwgg

Guest F16crewdwgg

Anyone have any good work-out routines they used to max out the PFT? I'm not talking going nuts here with working out.. Just a good routine to keep you in the game and not have to worry about physical standards for AFROTC.

Really? If you know the max scores just go for 20 above the max numbers for the push ups and sit ups, and just try to do the 1.5 at a sprint. You'll end up beating your times/high scores in no time. If you you go running and then do the sit ups and push ups after the run (while your dead tired) you push your body to build up endurance when you feel like your going to quit. That's what does the trick.

-Geoff

Anyone have any good work-out routines they used to max out the PFT? I'm not talking going nuts here with working out.. Just a good routine to keep you in the game and not have to worry about physical standards for AFROTC.

Train with intensity.

Example: If your doing push ups and max out around 40, drop down on your knees at 40 and max out from there. If your running, push yourself harder every time and when your at your last lap, light the fire under your ass and take off as fast as your legs will carry you. Your body will adapt over time.

I found the best way to do push ups is doing push ups. If your watching some tv, drop down and do sets or one large max set till your juiced. Try doing it everyday or every other day. Since its summer and your not doing homo workouts that some POC threw together, you can do whatever you want and not have to worry about training aside from PT 2-3 days a week.

Sit ups are sit ups. The more of them that you do, the better you'll get at it. The AF's requirements are very easy to accomplish with little work, assuming your not some fat ass off the street looking for an easy route to silver wings just getting by with minimums.

Aside from all of this, My uncle does cross fit training and loves it. However, you need to know what your doing and it can be more time consuming than what your already doing. If you have someone that will do the cross fit training with you, give it a shot and see how it works for you. From what I've heard, its really intense. The guys from 300 did cross fit in preparation for the movie.

For myself I like to incorporate push ups, sit ups, pull ups (Marines OCS applicant), running, and 5 days a week of weight training to stay in the best shape possible. Sounds like a lot of activity, and it is, but I take in a boatload of calories everyday and my bodies adjusted.

200 push ups and 200 sit ups monday - friday rest weekends.

mwf - 200 push ups as fast as possible (sets of 50 or whatever u can do the fastest)

t th - 200 push ups anyway possible (sets of 25 throughout the day etc)

samething with situps. do this for a few weeks(or until u can atleast do 50 in a minute) and then bump it up to 300. i do this about a month before a pt test and always max pushups and situps 70 each.

running? cant really help u thats my weak point.

Guest F16crewdwgg

Hmm awesome responses.. Thanks. I def do not have alot of time to go nuts with working out and hitting the weights.. worrying about my food intake.. I have too any studies to worry about. What pisses me off like you said yerfer is the damn Pt work outs.. Just because its good for the POC doesn't mean its good for everyone.. i mean i don't mind doing some running and pushups and situps.. but my god.. when you have to bust out like 40 flutter kicks at a 4 count =1 3 sets.. It gets a little rediculous.. I think all ROTC should have a set program to follow and a POC just enforces it. I remember when I first started I could barely walk the next day..

Guest ASUcadet

I'd recommend protein because it will help you recover faster so you're not dragging in class.

Guest Hammer
http://www.afrotc.com/admissions/fitnessSt.php specifically says several times that you do "crunches" for the test, but in the prep tips section it recommends you work on "sit-ups" in your room. And I seem to recall reading elsewhere that the test involved sit-ups, though I couldn't say where I read it. It seems kinda knit-picky, but they're not the same thing. Should I be training for crunches or sit-ups?

FACT situps:

Put your feet up on a bench or something so that your legs make 90 degree angles at both the hip and knees. Put your fingertips on your collarbone, now touch your kneecaps with your elbows. Repeat.

Guest gonzo

Dudes,

The AF PFT is nothing to get too spun up about. I saw the suggestions involving doing hundreds upon hundreds of push-ups a week and sprinting the 1.5 and all that. Personal experience here, you always have those guys in ROTC that have to prove how awesome they are by doing 10 more pushups than requried and all that. It isn't army ROTC where your leadership abilities are proportional to your PFT scores. That being said, don't be a shitbag either. They will know if you are overachieving and will recognize it as tool-dom.

This spring was the first time in two years I didn't max the PFT, and it was missed by about 3 seconds on the run(gotta love Oklahoma wind and 3 months of lunch and backs in the T-1). To be honest, and this is no bullshit, the first time I maxed the PFT I chugged a red bull and smoked a few marlboros about an hour prior...

There is no need to be captain america and a ROTC nazi when it comes to the PFT. I run 4 miles a day, do 50 pushups in the morning, and the last time I did "crunches" was on my last PFT. That has gotten me a max or damn close to it every time. If you want to go apeshit with crossfit and all that, feel free, if you are going to do the ironman. This is the AF PFT here, most girl scouts can max it...

Dudes,

The AF PFT is nothing to get too spun up about. I saw the suggestions involving doing hundreds upon hundreds of push-ups a week and sprinting the 1.5 and all that. Personal experience here, you always have those guys in ROTC that have to prove how awesome they are by doing 10 more pushups than requried and all that. It isn't army ROTC where your leadership abilities are proportional to your PFT scores. That being said, don't be a shitbag either. They will know if you are overachieving and will recognize it as tool-dom.

This spring was the first time in two years I didn't max the PFT, and it was missed by about 3 seconds on the run(gotta love Oklahoma wind and 3 months of lunch and backs in the T-1). To be honest, and this is no bullshit, the first time I maxed the PFT I chugged a red bull and smoked a few marlboros about an hour prior...

There is no need to be captain america and a ROTC nazi when it comes to the PFT. I run 4 miles a day, do 50 pushups in the morning, and the last time I did "crunches" was on my last PFT. That has gotten me a max or damn close to it every time. If you want to go apeshit with crossfit and all that, feel free, if you are going to do the ironman. This is the AF PFT here, most girl scouts can max it...

lol so far this is the best, most honest advice

Dudes,

Glad to see the AF offered you a commission. I'm sure you understood what "excellence in all we do" really means...

You see those extra 10 over the max as being a tool. Around here our det encourages that type of drive. Those who go above and beyond are the only people noticed around here. I guess your det was another story.

Doing what I suggested above can only make you a healthier individual. Its not about being a tool, its about being in great shape. If you don't want that, fine. Smoke a pack and day and brag about it. Your future will let you know how your plan turns out. I can say from reading what you've wrote, theirs missing attributes in your character/leadership that I wouldn't want to follow.

If someone wants to work on their body to do better on the PFT, good for them. They are showing they care about their future. I have seen people max out at 20 push ups because they didn't work on them. You get out of it what you put into it. Work on your weaknesses and you'll make them strengths. Were not interested if you got by on the PFT. This thread was made to help people increase theirs scores.

We push the limits to be the best in the world. Anybody wants to argue that, your in the wrong business.

Guest gonzo

Easy their hoss,

I didn't say don't try. I gave an honest opinion. I saw too many guys try to use the PFT as a way to show off when other and more important attributes were lacking. You can lecture me about healthy living all you want their champ, but doing what I do works, and the dude asked, so I answered honestly from my perspective. I'm sure your det is the mecca of dets that all others strive to be, and from your offended response, you must be a front runner for cadet wing king of said detachment(that or you're the typical embry-riddle cadet), but when you actually get a comission, you can start criticizing someone's leadership traits, I just happen to find honesty to be an important trait.

As for my future letting me know how my plans turn out, I was a UPT DG and have wings. Wait until you're a little more than a cadet to lecture me on whether or not I am in the right business. From the angry tone and ease in taking offense, not to mention being a condescending ass, you have a bright future in finance. I'm sure they could use someone who likes to talk about pushing the limits to be the best.

Not trying to be a dick, just responding to AS 200 cadet asshat lecturing me on leadership and what the air force is about.

Easy their hoss,

I didn't say don't try. I gave an honest opinion. I saw too many guys try to use the PFT as a way to show off when other and more important attributes were lacking. You can lecture me about healthy living all you want their champ, but doing what I do works, and the dude asked, so I answered honestly from my perspective. I'm sure your det is the mecca of dets that all others strive to be, and from your offended response, you must be a front runner for cadet wing king of said detachment(that or you're the typical embry-riddle cadet), but when you actually get a comission, you can start criticizing someone's leadership traits, I just happen to find honesty to be an important trait.

As for my future letting me know how my plans turn out, I was a UPT DG and have wings. Wait until you're a little more than a cadet to lecture me on whether or not I am in the right business. From the angry tone and ease in taking offense, not to mention being a condescending ass, you have a bright future in finance. I'm sure they could use someone who likes to talk about pushing the limits to be the best.

Not trying to be a dick, just responding to AS 200 cadet asshat lecturing me on leadership and what the air force is about.

I see your point of view, I just disagree with it the same way you disagreed with mine. No biggy.

Second, I have no aspirations to be wing king or a pilot for the Air Force anymore. Did a year of AFROTC and thought it was a joke, so I've switched to the Marines PLC air contract.

I'm sure your 6 weeks of field training were absolutely brutal. I can only imagine how much of a leader they made you. After all, 6 weeks of marching a flight and shooting for top gun proves someones ability to be a great "leader".

Try 12 weeks of brutal OCS and then 6 months of ground school and I'll take your "leadership" seriously.

Btw, Leadership doesn't start as a LT. It starts from the beginning. I'm just "honestly" saying I think your a bad example for the AF image. Hey, don't be mad, I'm just practicing your favorite leadership trait. H O N E S T Y.

Guest gonzo

We had a Marine student at Vance who quit UPT after a month because, and I quote, "It wasn't hardcore enough." Sounds like a leader to me. I think it was more along the lines of, "I can't hack it, so I'm quitting before I get fired." Must not have been getting enough pushups in the plane. But, given that you did one whole year of Air Force ROTC and know such a great deal about our PFT, your advice is definitely worthwhile.

On a side note, where did the "Who's training is harder" pissing contest come from? I don't recall saying it was brutal. I'll admit it was a joke, but that's a different topic...

Again, when you have any semblance of real world experience in the military besides your marine meetings, then you can try to lecture me.

We had a Marine student at Vance who quit UPT after a month because, and I quote, "It wasn't hardcore enough." Sounds like a leader to me. I think it was more along the lines of, "I can't hack it, so I'm quitting before I get fired." Must not have been getting enough pushups in the plane. But, given that you did one whole year of Air Force ROTC and know such a great deal about our PFT, your advice is definitely worthwhile.

On a side note, where did the "Who's training is harder" pissing contest come from? I don't recall saying it was brutal. I'll admit it was a joke, but that's a different topic...

Again, when you have any semblance of real world experience in the military besides your marine meetings, then you can try to lecture me.

Tough customer

Guest F16crewdwgg
Dudes,

All I have to say is, when you start hitting the 23-24 age range.. those pushups and situps and 1.5 miles are def no cake walk if you do not train for it.. Hell when I was 17-18 I could sit around eating fritto's all day and then go run 2 miles with no problems.. When I was like 8 yrs old I loved it, I was the fasted runniner in my school.. when I was 6 or 7.. I used to play duck duck goose.. and just keep running around the circle against someone who claimed they were faster then me.. heh.. just to prove I could out run the fasted runner.. Now.. at age 24.. shoot.. If I lay around for a week.. I can barely get the motitvation to walk fast.. let alone run 1.5 miles in under 10 min... I think there are those who are lazy and there are those who are all gung ho about fitness.. To pass the PFT with higher end score you have to fall inbetween. You shouldn't have to dedicate your days and weeks to prepping for the PFT but you shouldn't take it lightly either..

Guest gonzo

Exaclty. Don't be a dirtbag in the fitness area, but you don't have to spend every moment of every day working out. Being able to max a PFT only speaks to your personal fitness, not flying ability or leadership ability. I doubt Jimmy Doolittle or Curtis LeMay were maxing PFTs throughout their career, but I doubt anyone would question them in either of those facets...

• 3 years later...
Guest Greg G

How much time do you get to do pushups and sit-ups (crunches)? Is it 1 min per activity?

Edited by Greg G

How much time do you get to do pushups and sit-ups (crunches)? Is it 1 min per activity?

Correct, you will have 1 minute to perform each exercise. Keep in mind you're allowed to rest if needed; however, you can only rest in certain positions though (i.e. up position with arms locked for pushups)

UPTgoal