Capt Malinda Hammond IS My Hero!

M2

Last time I saw one of those our OG/CC walked up and said... "What does LPA stand for?"

LT: "LT Protection Association! "

OG-CC: "Hum, I don't know about that"... OG/CC walks off.

Me: "Hey man, not sure if you got that, but what he said was: take it off now, I will be back in 2 minutes to check..."

LT: "really?"

2 minutes later OG/CC did come back around to check...

Guess some guys just don't have enough real work to keep themselves occupied..

Marginally related, but:

You older guys know when you show up to a squadron for MQT training, your the "Fuckin' New Guy", or FNG. Well, apparently FNG offended the Wing/CC that we are no longer allowed to wear the FNG nametags. We are now "TNG's" (Tiger New Guys). I had my FNG patch, and the SQ/CC said "dude, do you want to be a fuckin' new guy?" What I said was "It doesn't bother me if it doesn't bother you, sir". What I was thinking was "HELL YES, I've been waiting my whole damn career to be an FNG, don't take that away!"

I now have a TNG patch.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marginally related, but:

You older guys know when you show up to a squadron for MQT training, your the "Fuckin' New Guy", or FNG. Well, apparently FNG offended the Wing/CC that we are no longer allowed to wear the FNG nametags. We are now "TNG's" (Tiger New Guys). I had my FNG patch, and the SQ/CC said "dude, do you want to be a fuckin' new guy?" What I said was "It doesn't bother me if it doesn't bother you, sir". What I was thinking was "HELL YES, I've been waiting my whole damn career to be an FNG, don't take that away!"

I now have a TNG patch.

Aren't your friends across the street called EGGs???

FWIW-- the bats still have FNGs

Guest Hueypilot812
- Morale patches: These are small patches worn on the left sleeve or

the flight suit. They have nicknames, funny signs, derogatory symbols

and sometimes, little airplanes on them. Bottom line, they are not

authorized. They will not be authorized. That small Velcro patch is

actually designed for the flap cover on the pen pocket, which most

people remove. Need your help in policing this, since it appears to be

a problem. Additionally, these patches are not authorized on IBA and

other tactical equipment worn by Airmen performing missions outside the

wire.

I received this gem of an email not too long ago, sent out by the CMSgt for USAFCENT. I am glad someone is willing to school us on why that little Velcro patch exists on our flight suits. I also love how, despite all the other issues going on within our Air Force, they have deemed that the morale patch "appears to be a problem". These messages continue to be jammed into my mailbox despite our recently departed CSAF wearing morale patches on a regular basis (not to mention the 19AF/CC when he visited our base).

Edited by Hueypilot812

Aren't your friends across the street called EGGs???

FWIW-- the bats still have FNGs

Yes...but they've been "EGGs" for a LONG time. To change from FNG to TNG out of some fear that you've offended the FNGs is :rainbow: .

• 2 months later...

I thought this horse was schnitzeled, but apparantly the debate rages on. This is the latest issue of Airman magazine...at least it is well-written and makes the right points!

Cheers! M2

Dear Sirs,

I’d like to respond to the letter Senior Master Sgt. Joe Kost sent in [the July/August 2008 issue] that referenced a C-130 Hercules pilot wearing an inappropriate patch [on page 12 of the May/June issue.] A picture is worth a thousand words. This letter will take a few of those words to explain the origins of that picture. I am a full-time C-130 aircraft mechanic for the Texas Air National Guard. I was deployed as the dedicated crew chief for Capt. Melinda Hammond’s aircrew during its rotation to Bagram Air Base, Afghanistan, earlier this year. She was the person in the photo.

In my career, I’ve been deployed to many combat zones. Aircrews flying into harm’s way sometimes utilize what are unofficially referred to as “combat air patches.” Such patches are worn only during flight and customarily on missions into hazardous locations. These “combat air patches” may contain false names, silly slogans or misleading symbols that have an underlying and humorous cultural meaning to our aircrews, yet signify absolutely nothing to potential enemies. In my opinion, the reason for this is two-fold.

First, these patches serve as “disinformation” in the unfortunate event that a crew member falls into enemy hands during such a mission. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, the patches also serve as a harmless morale booster in what can be long and highly stressful flights for the crews. I know for a fact that Captain Hammond had entirely removed all of her patches during the photo shoot and interview with an Airman staff member. I also wish to emphatically state that she was in the process of returning to the aircraft before she began replacing the patches. It was at this time that the photographer called out to her and snapped a picture as she turned. It was this picture that appeared in the article. Now, the sergeant’s concern regarding the proper wearing and display of the Air Force uniform is understandable, particularly when it comes to the American flag patch. But his suggestion that Captain Hammond “poorly represented the Air Force” may be a bit harsh.

Captain Hammond is an excellent C-130 pilot and performed admirably as an aircraft commander during a particularly high-tempo period of our rotation.

She flew long hours while our airlift wing rotated out ground fighting units, air dropped ammunition to mountain tops and delivered food, water and other critical supplies during tense off-loads with engines running. And even on the longest days, in the most adverse environmental conditions, she always provided a smiling face and a positive attitude. I was proud to be a part of her team. I’ve taken the time to answer the sergeant’s assertion because I feel the real issue here is not the proper wear of the Air Force uniform, even with the disparaging inclusion of the American flag patch. To me, the critical concern here is one of discipline. To those who’ve never served in a forward-combat environment and who may witness that particular picture out of context, this episode may seem to be a gross lack of discipline. Lack of discipline and the projection of such, is our worst enemy in a combat zone, and I take it personally when my unit may be associated with such. But other individuals, informed of the circumstances and perhaps seeing the picture in a different context, may instead see a proud professional who expertly and selflessly served her country in trying and adverse circumstances.

Tech. Sgt. Michael Phineas

136th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron,

Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base

Carswell Field, Texas

I know this article and the responses are old, but here's the second reply to Air Force Times that was posted right after the retired MSgt from Randolph. I'm currently a HERC pilot and will do my twenty (thanks to being late rated.) When I get done with the twenty, I hope to go to the Texas Guard, and I hope to God that there's still leadership there like the Colonel Bob Waters, Jr.

Sir, If I ever have the pleasure of running into you in this lifetime, you drink free all night. :salut:

:beer::beer::beer:

"I bet your recent article showing Capt. Melinda Hammond wearing a FUBAR patch received a lot of attention! I’m also willing to bet the majority of the furor missed what really matters: What could possibly lead a highly experienced, sevencombat-deployment aircraft commander to display such a strong sentiment? To find the answer, just look at the rest of the magazine. Almost every picture describes Airmen as members of expeditionary squadrons. What happened to their home-station, combat-ready, status-ofresources- and-training system-reported and inspector general, staff assistance visit and aircrew standardization and evaluation visit-inspected squadrons? Oh, that’s right — under the current model, we just train and equip our folks then loan them out piece-meal to assemble “Frankenstein” squadrons in the combat zone. Our young Airmen are nurtured and mentored at home, then thrown together with supervisors and commanders who have no future responsibility or liability for their careers or professional development. These expeditionary units change and morph monthly, with little continuity or esprit de corps. Commanders must focus on operations, force protection and all the other hazards of war, while trying to build a team under fire. It’s like trying to play the New England Patriots with an all-star team that just started practicing last week. Sure, you’ve got some great players, but not a team. I have seen some commanders manage to function in this town is Archbald, not Archibald, but that is a common error. I would like to say thank you to all of our men and women in uniform, and also to those who report on them. But others revert to simple regulatory enforcement with the hopes of surviving the assignment without a major alcohol, sexual or war-crimes incident, getting a Bronze Star and returning to their “real” units. Why do we hamstring commanders with this concept when they have already constructed solid squadrons, groups and wings back at home? On top of this problem, you have the additional, M.A.S.H.-type comedy at Bagram Air Base of cipher locks on the bathroom doors to prevent Army troops from using Air Force facilities. Airmen ordered to not use open and available Army laundry facilities while waiting seven to 10 days for “KBRsupplied” [Kellogg, Brown and Root] services. Airmen who weren’t wearing white socks with their approved PT gear ordered out of the gym. Always better to sit in your “hooch,” rather than appear in a combat zone out of uniform. An evaluator, aircraft commander with more than a dozen Air Medals being grounded for 14 days for wearing an OIF (Operation Iraqi Freedom) ball cap while jogging in PT gear; and an F-15 pilot grounded because his mustache was out of regs. Comeon leaders, think about what’s behind all this! Let’s employ the squadrons, groups and wings we already have to fight this war. Commander’s must lead their Airmen, and Airmen must follow their commanders, not just the leader de jour. Make both sides accountable, faithful, responsible and dedicated to each other’s success. It’s the way the military was designed to work from the days of the Roman legions. I protect the person to my left with my shield; they protect me with their sword. Let’s stop playing this war like some kind of “pick-up” basketball game and seriously rework the construct we use to deploy our most valuable asset — our Airmen. I think you’ll find a lot less FUBAR." :salut::rock:

Col. Bob Waters Jr.

Texas Air National Guard

Edited by Toro

Can't believe I just now stumbled on this thread! I went to SOS with Malinda a couple years ago and can attest that she is the shit. We had something like half a dozen pilots in my flight so it was actually a bareable experience for most of us. Anyone passing through Ft Worth should definitely buy her her beverage of choice. BamBam, if you read this, thanks for representing 11Ms! You rock.

Cheers

Prozac

Wow- was that actually printed? I'd buy that man a beer, good stuff.

Yep is was in the exact same issue that the retired MSgt from Randolph backed Melissa. I think even more highly of the Texas ANG now.

:salut::salut:

Mike

Those two pictures - side-by-side - are probably the two most fascinating images that I can remember seeing for a long while.

Thank you for posting them.

Stevo.

I looked for two hours and all I found was a painting in that post. Maybe I'm just blind...

While were on the topic of letters to the editor. I read this in Torch magazine the other day in disbelief. Does anyone else think this sounds like a little kid that isn't getting enough attention?

Magazine Article - Page 2

I read the article “Too Much Chlorine in Pool Leaves Combat Controllers Coughing, Vomiting” (May/June 2008

issue of Torch, page 5) and was kind of disappointed.

In the article you mentioned, “The base fire department responded to the medical emergency.” Well, that may be, but I can tell you that two ambulances and an AMBUS responded with emergency room and flight medicine medics/emergency medical technicians for treatment and transport to the emergency room. The ER hospital staff came together as a team to treat the combat control students and handled the mass casualty situationvery well.

The hospital staff that was a part of this unfortunate incident was commended by everyone for the quick treatment, transport and overall outcome. The article I read mentions nothing about the hospital, ER or its medics. As the flight chief of emergency services, I can tell you that they did an awesome job that day. I think their performance is worthy of mentioning in that article.

Master Sgt. John “Chip” Coleman

Keesler Air Force Base, Miss., Medical Center

We appreciate your feedback and further insight on the noteworthy

emergency response to this mass casualty mishap.

I received this gem of an email not too long ago, sent out by the CMSgt for USAFCENT. I am glad someone is willing to school us on why that little Velcro patch exists on our flight suits. I also love how, despite all the other issues going on within our Air Force, they have deemed that the morale patch "appears to be a problem". These messages continue to be jammed into my mailbox despite our recently departed CSAF wearing morale patches on a regular basis (not to mention the 19AF/CC when he visited our base).

I'd like to witness this E-9 tool attempt to tell one of my JTAC's that "these patches are not authorized on IBA and other tactical equipment worn by Airmen performing missions outside the wire." He better have the testicular presence to first go OUTSIDE the wire to one of our FOB's, then stay there for 90 days plus, then go on a Combat recon Patrol (CRP) with the ODA, then take an IED and lose three team mates, then have a danger close JDAM assist his attitude......if he accomplishes all that, this CCT CMSgt will gladly advise my troops to remove their "America, Fu#% Yeah" morale patches from their IBA. Cricket....Cricket.

Guys, our USAF has changed in the last 26 years that I've been in it, and it friggin' sickens me to the core. It all comes down to leadership. Plain and simple. If you make it to O-6, remember this crap and tell shoe clerks to lick your testes when they enact this jack-assery.

PS: I'm still sporting my Whiskey Tango Foxtrot shoulder patch.....

While were on the topic of letters to the editor. I read this in Torch magazine the other day in disbelief. Does anyone else think this sounds like a little kid that isn't getting enough attention?

Master Sgt. John “Chip” Coleman

Keesler Air Force Base, Miss., Medical Center

We appreciate your feedback and further insight on the noteworthy

emergency response to this mass casualty mishap.

MSgt Coleman,

I'm sure the people that were invloved that day were satisfied with the job that they did and happy that they got to put their talents to good work.

Not everyone has to be given a gold star everytime they do a good job, and just because you got left out of an article dosen't mean you need to take precious time out of your day to make sure that your people get recognized in a national publication.

Next time, take the time out of your day to go shake the hands of the people who did their job expertly, give them a heartfelt thanks, and then forget to write this pathetic excuse of a letter to the editor that basiclly says, "Oh, oh, I was there too. Why wasn't I mentioned?" :nob::nob:

Edited by capt4fans

Guest Hueypilot812
PS: I'm still sporting my Whiskey Tango Foxtrot shoulder patch.....

We've had several groups of DVs roll through our unit in the past few months. One visit was particularly telling on the thoughts of senior leadership. My commander told me how he was disgusted when the general officer and the CMSgt that was visiting commented on the squadron by saying "Lt Col XXXX, your squadron is really outstanding, these folks are really sharp. I didn't see one single morale patch today, that's just outstanding".

So, we're not great because we're professionals that do our jobs really well. We're not an amazing squadron because we risk life and limb teaching foreign nationals how to fly airplanes in a combat zone. We're not outstanding as a unit because of our attitudes and forward-leaning ethic...

...we're outstanding because none of us had a morale patch on.

That's just terrific. :flipoff:

I just don't get it. Why are morale patches such a point of controversy? Why are there meetings and emails sent out about it? Why is it even being discussed? I wish some CC somewhere could just end it all and say enough with all this mickey mouse bullcrap, if it doesn't impact the mission and it doesn't undermine bearing and good order don't email me or bring it up in a staff meeting unless I ask you. A bunch of pansy ass wannabes just inventing solutions to problems that don't really exist.

How the hell does a GO equate no morale patches to being an excellent squadron. Who is at the wheel?

Edited by Skitzo

I just don't get it. Why are morale patches such a point of controversy? Why are there meetings and emails sent out about it? Why is it even being discussed? I wish some CC somewhere could just end it all and say enough with all this mickey mouse bullcrap, if it doesn't impact the mission and it doesn't undermine bearing and good order don't email me or bring it up in a staff meeting unless I ask you. A bunch of pansy ass wannabes just inventing solutions to problems that don't really exist.

How the hell does a GO equate no morale patches to being an excellent squadron. Who is at the wheel?

Dude, I totally agree. How have we gotten this far off course when something called a "morale patch" is looked at as being bad? Isn't morale supposed to be a good thing? And for the most part it's rated officers driving the push against the patches.

Don't you see it? The problem isn't the morale patch, it's the morale! The tragedy is that some commanders/senior officers think that the patches are the source of the problem, and miss the real problem altogether.

San Antonio just banned hotel rooms being sold by the hour in an attempt to curb prostitution; but it won't have any effect because it doesn't directly affect the problem! Banning morale patches has that some effect, if not the opposite. Banning them only pisses off people who are already pissed off; it doesn't improve their morale, it only worsens it and it also makes it visibly obvious that leadership is clueless to the real problems out there!

Morale/Friday patches are an Air Force tradition much like nose art, ones that grew from building comradery even if they appear to mock/buck the system. Why that very simple lesson is lost on some of today’s Air Force leaders is beyond me, but to tell the truth I know the answer…some people would rather look good than actually be good!

Cheers! M2

Morale/Friday patches are an Air Force tradition much like nose art, ones that grew from building comradery even if they appear to mock/buck the system. Why that very simple lesson is lost on some of today’s Air Force leaders is beyond me, but to tell the truth I know the answer…some people would rather look good than actually be good!

Cheers! M2

I think it's more of an envy issue. People who don't wear flight suits are envious of those that do, especially when they get these little non-standard patches made up.

Back when I was still at Dyess, we could wear Friday patches but we had to fence out as soon as we left the squadron, how gay is that? And they completely elminated the Friday squadron patch.

I wish some Comm NAZI with sympathy and access could compile data at his/her base on how many emails are generated with the word morale patch in them. Then a manpower/personnel officer or someone with a statistical background could extrapolate this to estimate how many are generated Air Force wide, and then publish the results on the portal, maybe instead of one of those banners that says I can check the E-9 promotion board results it comes up in flashing font much like the warnings to accomplish Information Protection, we waste XXXXXXXXX days a year generating emails about morale patches, what have you done for the Air Force lately?

San Antonio just banned hotel rooms being sold by the hour in an attempt to curb prostitution; but it won't have any effect because it doesn't directly affect the problem! Banning morale patches has that some effect, if not the opposite.

M2 Johnson is right - give us morale patches and whores!