Professional Development Training (PDT) info

Guest GonnaFlyfoLife

I heard from the 400s that went to Turkey and Czech that it was pretty chill. Just do a lot of tourist type stuff.

I put in for Olmstead Cultural Immersion Program and Cadet Immersion Program.

Some how I got the Cultural Language Immersion Program in Chile. Sounds cool, just will have to practice my Spanish during summer before the trip since I haven't had to use it since HS. Wondering if it was an accident? Will ask Cadre tmrw.

Guest GonnaFlyfoLife

I want to say 17 cadets to each country (not sure how many countries they will send people to this year)

Last year I know cadets who went to Brazil and India, so hopefully there will be multiple trips going.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ASUcadet

I somehow got roped into doing CLI in Kyrgyzstan. No joke. I start learning Uzbek on 2 Jun, then I leave for Bishkek in late July. All I know about Uzbek is that they have those backward Russian letters in their alphabet... But, I guess it beats flipping burgers all summer.

Guest brandonjd25

dude don't do it. i know some guys from my det who did and they all got conditional events for it! besides, legal drinking age is under 21 there anyway.....

i know how you feel tho, i leave for prague 2 days after my 21st lol

I somehow got roped into doing CLI in Kyrgyzstan. No joke. I start learning Uzbek on 2 Jun, then I leave for Bishkek in late July. All I know about Uzbek is that they have those backward Russian letters in their alphabet... But, I guess it beats flipping burgers all summer.

Bishkek will be awesome. Did you know that Bishkek is the mail-order bride capitol of the world? Manas AB does not let anyone leave base to go there not becasue of any threats...there is none. It is becasue they want people "war-focused"...not out there having an awesome time which is really easy to do there.

The only danger there is falling in lust with Natasha and confusing it for love...which can lead to all sorts of bad things.

You will have a blast unles the people running the show are DBs. Have fun!

Guest ASUcadet
Bishkek will be awesome. Did you know that Bishkek is the mail-order bride capitol of the world? Manas AB does not let anyone leave base to go there not becasue of any threats...there is none. It is becasue they want people "war-focused"...not out there having an awesome time which is really easy to do there.

The only danger there is falling in lust with Natasha and confusing it for love...which can lead to all sorts of bad things.

You will have a blast unles the people running the show are DBs. Have fun!

It definitely didn't say anything about that in the brochure and even though the Air Force is paying me to go, the program is run through the university, so I tend to think the civilians will give us a slightly longer leash. But, I'm already happily married so I won't be having THAT much fun there (I know we're young, we got married because we had a long-term, long-distance relationship and we found out that if we got married then she could get in-state tuition and we could afford to be together). But thanks for the heads up :rock: Do you know if there is a fun nightlife there, aside from the 'female company?'

I really have no idea what to expect over there, but one of my friends suggested that I grow out my hair, don't shave, buy a bunch of 'local' clothes and shoes, and only eat 'local' food. Basically, completely assimilate into the Uzbek culture. I think I might give that a try, but don't hold me to it. I also want to find really obscure gifts for my friends, like sheep skulls or goatskin blankets or something.

Do you know if there is a fun nightlife there, aside from the 'female company?'

There is, but beware, the nice cluds are often run my Russian mafia...in general they are more than happy to have you there as you will spend more in one night than their usual customers make in a month, but remember not to piss of the "family".

I really have no idea what to expect over there, but one of my friends suggested that I grow out my hair, don't shave, buy a bunch of 'local' clothes and shoes, and only eat 'local' food. Basically, completely assimilate into the Uzbek culture. I think I might give that a try, but don't hold me to it. I also want to find really obscure gifts for my friends, like sheep skulls or goatskin blankets or something.

There are two (well more than that really) very disticnt cultures over there. There are the Asians, and then there are the Europeans. They all have cool accents though. The Russians are a clean cut at the next guy, it you roll over there all shaggy, you will fit in if you go out into the counry, but in Bishkek, not so much...not totally out of place, but not the nrom either. Just go be a polite American and you will be fine and have a blast!

• 3 months later...
Guest checksix

For those who have gone on their PDT what uniforms did you guys need or didn't need. The cadet guide was very vague about what to pack. Thanks for the help!

Did your det give you the contact info for the base PDT project officer? They are responsible for scheduling you between squadrons, etc which varies a lot from base to base. That would be the best source since they know what you will actually be doing.

BDU's, Flight Suit (May need it, just depends where you go. Friend used it at Nellis), Short Sleeve Blues, PT Gear, and some relax clothes. Bring money, I ended up dropping about $100 dollars just because of activities and stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

I brought everything but the kitchen sink and ended up in BDU's every day. One of my friends went and had to wear blues once. I would say chances are you will be in BDU's 99% of the time. I would bring one set of blues just in case, tho. Have you been contacted by your cadre yet?

• 1 year later...

So just got my PDT assignment for this summer. Got my second choice which is Ops-AF...wanted SOAR but heard only 12 slots were given for that this year. Anyways my question is this, my freshmen year I went on the OPS-AF PDT to Mountain Home, AFB as a freshmen in ROTC going into my 200 year. This time I'm headed down to Keesler, AFB but as a POC this time. My cadre told me that this is a different program since I am a POC this time and that I would have a 'leadership' role there instead of being a regular cadet like I was my first time. But I've been looking around trying to find anywhere that this might be explained but I can't find anything. Any help would be great.

My cadre told me that this is a different program since I am a POC this time and that I would have a 'leadership' role there instead of being a regular cadet like I was my first time.

ROTC may have changed since I was there, but I'm having trouble seeing what exactly an ROTC cadet is supposed to "lead" while touring an AF base. You're going to tour a base, that's it. Tell your cadre to get a life.

I did this program last summer as a POC. In my experience, you do very little leading as far as the Air Force time there goes. You may have smaller opportunities to lead weekend activities, but basically you are a tourist. Relax, have fun, stay out of trouble. More than likely you, or the GMC at least, will be doing bitch work when not touring. Hope this helps...

So just got my PDT assignment for this summer. Got my second choice which is Ops-AF...wanted SOAR but heard only 12 slots were given for that this year. Anyways my question is this, my freshmen year I went on the OPS-AF PDT to Mountain Home, AFB as a freshmen in ROTC going into my 200 year. This time I'm headed down to Keesler, AFB but as a POC this time. My cadre told me that this is a different program since I am a POC this time and that I would have a 'leadership' role there instead of being a regular cadet like I was my first time. But I've been looking around trying to find anywhere that this might be explained but I can't find anything. Any help would be great.

Guest VETTE277

Got picked up for OPS-AF to Kirtland AFB. Anyone have any info on this location's PDT program, what to expect ? Thanks.

BDU's, Flight Suit (May need it, just depends where you go. Friend used it at Nellis), Short Sleeve Blues, PT Gear, and some relax clothes. Bring money, I ended up dropping about $100 dollars just because of activities and stuff.

And if you don't have a flightsuit and you are fortunate enough to get an incentive ride, life support or whoever will provide one to you.