Air Liason Officer

Guest whyme?

Also they have little handbooks on each airframe. Read up on the airframe capes so you know what to expect.

Agree 100% on the Hawg comment barney. Hawg guys have a better understanding of "army speak" from the word go and its not just knowing how to go from MRGS to WG84 on the MFD.

• 1 year later...
Guest filthy_liar

Not sure what the difference is between the ALO threads but I will add a reply. I'm a bit dated - I did an ALO gig back in 2000-2003. I had to qualify then compete to get to the unit that I ended up getting assigned to. Obviously, it was volunteer. Good experience, like I think Beaver said, a lot of leadership involved. For three years my boss didn't really know what I did. If I needed to be somewhere, I went. I think a lot has probably changed since then.

As far as career progression, I would say that being an ALO does not necessarily hurt your career. I want to qualify that by mentioning that I volunteered to be an ALO, I wasn't handed the assignment. But from observing my career field, it hasn't relatively put anyone behind. You are going to be behind the dude that does a fellowship instead of an ALO tour. That's the way life works. There is nothing wrong with that, if the timing is right and you need to do an ALPHA, consider knocking out an ALO tour. Please do not show up to an Army unit unmotivated. That gives the AF a bad name.

Several years later after my ALO tour, I have a lot of spears to throw at the Army, but in a totally different context. After I left my ALO tour I said "never again" when it came to being surrounded by the Army. But, like all good plans, the enemy has a vote. So now I find myself surrounded once again by the Army. I have considerable compassion for ALOs, I know you are doing the Lord's work, while not being understood or appreciated by the component that you are supporting.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

6. Physical Requirements: All applicants must be medically qualified. ALO training involves a highly demanding physical program, that includes regular physical training events, obstacle course completion, and marching with 25-40 lb packs. Prior to being accepted you must successfully complete the TACP Physical Ability and Stamina Test. All candidates must meet the following minimum standards:

-Run: 1.5 miles in under 11:41

-Push-Ups: 39 push-ups in 1 minute

-Crunches: 45 crunches in 1 minute

-Pull-ups: 2 pull-ups in 1 minute

The TACP PAST is harder now, it changed in January of this year. (unless ALO's aren't held to the same standard as romad's) The run needs to be a 1.5 in 10:47, more calisthenics, etc. Looks like fun!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

From the ACC/A3FC Facebook page

ACC/A3FC TACP/ASOC Integration Branch

May 10.TO: MAJCOMS, FSS/CCs MPS/Chief, MPS/Supt

SUBJECT: Volunteers for the 13Lxx Air Liaison Officer (ALO) Career Field -

Summer 2013 selection announcement

1. The Air Force is seeking highly motivated candidates who are interested

in becoming a 13L ALO. Applications are now being accepted. Candidates who

are selected this cycle will attend Phase II ALO Aptitude Assessment (AAA)

scheduled for 3-7 Aug...ust 2013 at Jacks Valley, USAF Academy, Colorado

Springs, CO. This announcement is for ROTC and USAFA cadets who are

graduating in Calendar year 2013 and 2014, USAF cross flow officers and

Initial Skills Training Reclassification (IST) Candidates. OTS candidates

may apply for the Air Force OTS board (see pp 3.d below for more info).

2. Suspense for applications: 20 Jun 2013. Email applications to ACC/A3FC

workflow at: acca3fc.jid@langley.af.mil

3. To View eligibility and criteria copy and paste the following myPers

link: (https://myPers.af.mil/app/answers/detail/a_id/24135)

4. POC is ACC/A3FC, DSN 574-8384 e-mail acca3fc.jid@langley.af.mil

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Random question: I heard that they were giving CSOs opportunities to do an ALO tour. Is this true? And if so can anyone provide more information on it?

True statement, the pipeline is always open. Put it on your ADP & let your CC know you're interested when you come up on the VML

Anyone have any info on the AMLO assignment at Yokota. Day to day schedule, deployments, can you still fly?

When I was there several years ago, the guy in that billet flew (CSO...I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same position). Not a lot, so I assume he was pretty busy doing something, although I have no idea what! The day to day was over at the OSS so not around the squadron a lot. But he got to go on pretty much every exercise so that was a pretty good deal. I think I heard he just made O-6 too.

• 3 years later...
Couldn't imagine being relegated as an ALO not being able to fly the fighter of your dreams anymore...

Most people become ALOs because they suck at flying. The Commander has a special phone line direct to AFPC and when he has a weak swimmer he will call and specifically request an ALO spot.

• 2 weeks later...

On 4/7/2015 at 9:26 PM, Murch said:

Random question: I heard that they were giving CSOs opportunities to do an ALO tour. Is this true? And if so can anyone provide more information on it?

I have no idea what the modern USAF does, but my last assignment in 1992-1994 was as ALO at Fort Hood.  I was an EF-111 EWO.   If enlisted guys who have never sat in a cockpit can do just fine controlling CAS, there's no reason a nav can't.

I volunteered because this was my last assignment before retiring and I wanted my kids to be able spend all four years in the same high school in Austin.  I commuted 50 miles each way every day. The only physical requirement back then was the ability to fog a mirror.

It wasn't a happy end to an otherwise fun career. 

• Confused 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/1/2019 at 1:40 AM, Harambe said:

Could a 11M ever become an ALO?

Sorry about the delayed comment but I just viewed this post. The answer to your question is yes but likely only in the ANG.  I was a 12M (C-130H Nav) and got hired to be an ALO in an ANG TACP unit.  In AD, I haven't heard of any 1XM's becoming ALO's.   The ANG is open to it because they need to be.  My hiring interview went like this (edited out the stuff that didn't matter):  Do you like working with the Army?  Yes, I love to camp out under the stars and I have my air assault and army airborne badges.  Response:  you're hired.   After four years of ALO experience, it's the toughest job you'll ever love as the saying goes.  Totally recommend and we need great officers in the TACP community!  PM me for me deets.   

• 1 month later...

Dudes,

Marine FAC/Pilot here. Getting out in July 2021. Possibly looking for an ANG or Reserve ALO job. However, I'm having trouble finding locations/units. Is there a list anywhere or can you guys recommend a location pseudo-midwest United States? We'll be moving to the Dallas/Tulsa/KC/Nashville/Little Rock Central US area.... civ job dependent. Thanks for any info you may have.

Soup

• 4 months later...
On 3/18/2020 at 6:35 AM, justinlee0 said:

Dudes,

Marine FAC/Pilot here. Getting out in July 2021. Possibly looking for an ANG or Reserve ALO job. However, I'm having trouble finding locations/units. Is there a list anywhere or can you guys recommend a location pseudo-midwest United States? We'll be moving to the Dallas/Tulsa/KC/Nashville/Little Rock Central US area.... civ job dependent. Thanks for any info you may have.

Soup

OKC Guard has ALO's I believe.