Active Duty at a Guard Base?

Guest Knuckle Dragger

Guest Knuckle Dragger

Is anybody familiar with the paperwork process for an active duty guy to fill a spot at a guard unit while still on active duty? I know some active guys have snagged a three-ish year assignment to the guard before... Just curious. Thanks in advance.

Cheers

:beer:

Edited by Knuckle Dragger

Limited Experience Pilot/Total Force Absorption Program (LIMEX/TFAP)—Currently not in use This program is designed to shift some of the burden of creating experienced fighter pilots out of inexperienced ones (LIMEX) to the Air National Guard. Through this program, LIMEX pilots may be assigned to selected ANG units for a normal three year tour. After that tour, they will be assigned in a similar fashion as other pilots getting assignments from ops units. TFAP pilots will be attached to a CONUS ANG A-10 unit, and will periodically visit their active duty squadron. Wing leadership at the active duty unit will be involved in the OPR and assignment process.

[Fighter Associate Program (FAP)—Currently active This program replaces the TFAP program mentioned above as it relates to AFRC (TFAP exists only for the ANG). The Active Associate units will be manned by one instructor pilot and up to three additional inexperienced pilots (B-Course graduates). The IP will act as a Flt CC and will mentor the two inexperienced pilots.

The above is from the AFPC A-10 Aissgnments website. As a guy who did FAP, I can tell you there's no way to get one of these other than timing. Well, if you know your assignment guy/gal personnaly, he/she could maybe work it (sts) for you, but since the manning for these gigs is so small, it's tough.

Bottom line for your question, TFAP is closed down for A-10 guys; FAP is open right now, but Whiteman is the only A-10 Combat Coded (aka take AD dudes) and they just got these new dude about a month ago. A bit fighter-centric, but that's what I know.

Guest AirGuardian

There are tours at Guard units here and there as "Liasons" if that's what you're talking about?

Liasons at flying units are experienced rated folks (at least ours have been) and we've been able to bring them in after their tour for the most part. More of a recruiting scheme of ours :thumbsup:

Granted, it looks like we may have lost our liason spot which is a first for us. And yes, we're assimulating him into our unit - great guy/pure asset.

If you're talking non-rated, uuuh - I do nohhh.....

Godspeed.

Guest evil load

Years ago (5-7?) we got a guy right out of UPT into our AFRC squadron for his first assignment. He liked it so much he PC'd out of AD and stayed with us. I dont think the AFRC has this program anymore, but you never know.

• 3 weeks later...

the program is called TFAP. It is still going on. what happens is when a guy is at the end of pilot training and the drops come down, included in those drops may be assignments to a guard unit. for our unit the drops would come down at corpus for guys to come to our guard base. the assigment system still has them listed as possible assignments so i know the program is still goin on. in fact we have a guy right now who is about to upgrade who is an AD guy. do a search you will find this topic has been talked about before

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone heard of a Guard bum attaching to an AD unit for an extended deployment? I thought I heard at one time where a someone PCSed to McConnell or Fairchild and stayed on AD orders for a year or two. Is this still an option?

We have a Pilot and Boom that's here at Fairchild who belong to the Reserve unit at McConnell. The Pilot teaches some of the vault classes and the Boom does some of the MQT for new Booms that show up. They're on extended orders I think funded by AMC.

• 6 months later...

I figured my questions would be best served here...

1) Does Guard Bases have clubs like the OSC?

2) A guy in my husband's class said that we would get extra allowences since Pease (in this case) doesn't have a BX or Comm. Any truth to this?

3) How is the community around ANG bases? Pretty open and friendly?

4) How do deployments work? Will he deploy when his Squadron does? or will his orders for dpeloyment come from the AD side? (I've heard mixed stories on this..)

Thanks in advance!!

2) A guy in my husband's class said that we would get extra allowences since Pease (in this case) doesn't have a BX or Comm. Any truth to this?

4) How do deployments work? Will he deploy when his Squadron does? or will his orders for dpeloyment come from the AD side? (I've heard mixed stories on this..)

Thanks in advance!!

There is a commissary close to Pease at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. The Shipyard MWR, auto hobby shop, etc. all caters to Pease as well. The community around Pease is great. Total hippie town, but I have never been looked at cross-eyed while going out for lunch in uniform. I don't know how it will work for this new joint-basing thing that is starting this spring, but in the past, AD folks stationed at Pease have dealt with Hanscom AFB for personell type issues.

Thanks in advance!!

1. Is the "OSC" similar to the OWC?? Please tell me that they didn't actually change the name. I can't imagine a male spouse actually going. Although it would be a great place to meet chicks!

2. I have never heard of this. Your housing allowance will of course be indexed to the local zip code, but haven't heard of additional pay.

3. Since an ANG base has a much smaller personnel footprint (typically - can't speak for Pease specifically) the local community may or may not even realize there is a military installation there.

If anything, I'd say that's a good thing, as there aren't 10,000 junior enlisted knuckleheads pissing off the locals all the time. Most ANG bases employ ~1000-1500 people, including weekenders.

4. Don't know how they will pair up the AD units...whether they will "own" a few jets that they will then deploy with 200 days a year (like every other AD base) or be paired with the host ANG unit, who deploys maybe 120

days every 18 months (tanker unit). Of that time, most of the pilots will only be gone 30-45 days.

Are you going to be with the active duty associate unit at Pease?

1. No, not typically at a guard base do they have those. Mostly since the majority of the members are part timers.

2. Never heard of extra allowances either, but could be. Was it a guard guy that told him?

3. Like Bergman said most people don't even know guard bases exist. My unit is forever getting mistaken for the reserve unit across the ramp because they have more of a visible presence then we do.

4. I am pretty sure that nobody knows for sure what is exactly going to happen with these associate units. No offense but I am kinda glad you aren't coming to my unit. I hope things go well for you guys.

1 - Not really. Nothing formal, but we never had the turnover or the numbers before, so it was always the same people, so everyone knows each other. Also, we're pretty spread out, since a lot of guys are part-time. It's not uncommon for a part-timer to drive in 2 hours for drill or a flight. Guess that'll probably change, I'll leave that up to the spouses.

2 - Nope. There's a COLA if you live in Massachusetts and some other high cost of living areas, but it has no bearing on whether there's a BX or not. My state has no sales tax, so who cares about a BX anyway...

3 - What ATC said, and even more so since we're mostly locals, at least from the same region. We kind of blend in, since a lot of the Guardsmen also hold full time jobs in the community. It's a pretty low profile, like what Bergman said...the general public doesn't even really know there's a base until a fighter takes off at max AB and then the PA phones ring off the hook.

4 - They're still trying to work this out. I know...I've been to the meetings. Anything you hear is conjecture, so don't believe the hype. The plan is to have the AD crews deploy with a couple of the jets. That's great, except if you are an 8 PAA unit with multiple alert commitments. The Guard AEF cycle will probably remain separate, and it'll be Guardsmen who fill the Guard bucket, and AD folks who will fill the taskings for mother AMC. I could see them taking a jet and some crews to the desert, or maybe just the crews, and they stay current at their guard base and then hitch a ride over when a Fairchild jet drops in and picks them up, or they fly down to MacDill a day early and load up there, or maybe we run a swapout (what a deal that would be for a crew...). Again, more conjecture and speculation on my part.

1 - Not really. Nothing formal, but we never had the turnover or the numbers before, so it was always the same people, so everyone knows each other. Also, we're pretty spread out, since a lot of guys are part-time. It's not uncommon for a part-timer to drive in 2 hours for drill or a flight. Guess that'll probably change, I'll leave that up to the spouses.

2 - Nope. There's a COLA if you live in Massachusetts and some other high cost of living areas, but it has no bearing on whether there's a BX or not. My state has no sales tax, so who cares about a BX anyway...

3 - What ATC said, and even more so since we're mostly locals, at least from the same region. We kind of blend in, since a lot of the Guardsmen also hold full time jobs in the community. It's a pretty low profile, like what Bergman said...the general public doesn't even really know there's a base until a fighter takes off at max AB and then the PA phones ring off the hook.

4 - They're still trying to work this out. I know...I've been to the meetings. Anything you hear is conjecture, so don't believe the hype. The plan is to have the AD crews deploy with a couple of the jets. That's great, except if you are an 8 PAA unit with multiple alert commitments. The Guard AEF cycle will probably remain separate, and it'll be Guardsmen who fill the Guard bucket, and AD folks who will fill the taskings for mother AMC. I could see them taking a jet and some crews to the desert, or maybe just the crews, and they stay current at their guard base and then hitch a ride over when a Fairchild jet drops in and picks them up, or they fly down to MacDill a day early and load up there, or maybe we run a swapout (what a deal that would be for a crew...). Again, more conjecture and speculation on my part.

edit:

4. I am pretty sure that nobody knows for sure what is exactly going to happen with these associate units. No offense but I am kinda glad you aren't coming to my unit. I hope things go well for you guys.

It's going to be culture shock for sure (I can't believe that SrA just called that LtCol by his first name...oh my GOD!), but I'm optimistic. The rated pilot hiring pool's gonna get a lot deeper, and we'll know who we are getting after a three year IOE... :thumbsup:

edit:

It's going to be culture shock for sure (I can't believe that SrA just called that LtCol by his first name...oh my GOD!), but I'm optimistic. The rated pilot hiring pool's gonna get a lot deeper, and we'll know who we are getting after a three year IOE... :thumbsup:

Thanks for answering the questions! My husband spent a couple of years as a reservist. He's not as "stuffy" as some might think, plus he's been in for 10yrs.

I am sadden by the lack of OSC, even though I understand why you all dont have one.. I've gotten pretty active with the OCS here, and was hoping to do the same at the "next base" we went to. Oh Well. I'll keep myself busy somehow.

Oh Well. I'll keep myself busy somehow.

Portsmouth ain't Enid...Skiing, beaches, Portland, Lake Winnepesaukee, White Mountains, Boston, Cape Cod, Rhode Island, Vermont, Maine, fishing, hunting, camping, hiking, sledding, skating...you don't need an OSC to get a few families togehter to take a weekend trip somewhere.

Matter of fact, all of those associate units are pretty close to major metroploitan areas.

With the AD moving in, those things that AD is used to will probably move in too. They'll probably be looking for someone to start an OSC...that may keep you busy as well.

STS. You don't need an OWC for that I'm guessing. Or maybe that's what really goes on at those meetings... :rock:

All I can do is chuckle at that....

Jeff,

Someone suggested joining the OSC thats on the Naval Base. I don't know, we'll see!

• 3 months later...

I saw an e-mail last week welcoming the new AD squadron commander in a few days. We've had sponsor meetings, done up proposals for each office on how we're going to integrate the AD folks and I've personally met 3 people while I was deployed who had orders for this summer's PCS cycle coming to Pease, as well as knowing friends who have orders to March and Scott, so it seems to be rolling right along from what I can see.

I saw an e-mail last week welcoming the new AD squadron commander in a few days. We've had sponsor meetings, done up proposals for each office on how we're going to integrate the AD folks and I've personally met 3 people while I was deployed who had orders for this summer's PCS cycle coming to Pease, as well as knowing friends who have orders to March and Scott, so it seems to be rolling right along from what I can see.

I guess they aren't taking any more UPT grads till the squadron is in works.

The only reason why I asked, is because I would like to get contact info on the spouses.. see who gets where first (I know out of the UPT guys, we're the first ones to PSC there....)-- maybe they can get info for new AD families coming to pease and have you.. My intentions are good, I swear.