?s on ADSC (Active Duty Service Commitment)

I would stay voluntarily bonus free past 20 as long as I have the freedom to turn down the 365 or bad deal.

Accepting a ADSC past that mark just gives bonus free work and all leverage to the USAF.

I will hit the VML with 2 yrs and 2 mos left on my ADSC so chances are I’ll put in my paperwork for separation rather than accept another adsc.

This is where the AF will miss out...people willing to stay with their freedom in tact but forced to separate rather than be under the thumb of big blue.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, di1630 said:

I would stay voluntarily bonus free past 20 as long as I have the freedom to turn down the 365 or bad deal.

Accepting a ADSC past that mark just gives bonus free work and all leverage to the USAF.

I will hit the VML with 2 yrs and 2 mos left on my ADSC so chances are I’ll put in my paperwork for separation rather than accept another adsc.

This is where the AF will miss out...people willing to stay with their freedom in tact but forced to separate rather than be under the thumb of big blue.

“Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don’t want to.”  — Richard Branson

Or....do whatever you want. I don’t think the AF knows how to calculate ROI. 

Edited by DazedandCynical

Good funny/not funny article.  For the institution, I can actually agree with it.

However, my point/reason for even being on this thread is related:

As the meat servos continue to get younger and more inexperienced by the day as already gained/paid for experience flows out the exit and have to operate equipment that gets older and more worn out on every one of those same days, the number of fireballs on Day/Nights 1 and 2 are going to mimic a pretty good 4th of July event.

And we won't have the time or industrial capability, most likely, to refill those losses and the subsequent peace talks are likely to be a tad uncomfortable for our side.

Therefore, keeping the experience IS a thing for combat capability.

But, JCS truly doesn't care.*

*I know, buzzkill for the intended humor...

I saw something interesting in that Crisis Task Force NOTAM that went out today. It said something about being eligible to apply for VRRAD while still on AD with an approved retirement date in the system. Seems like a loophole that can be leveraged if you want to stay AD but want to be immune from certain BS.

What’s happens with the C-21/C-37/C-40 units shutting down, will there be requal ADSC leniency? This three year requal ADSC is really making a bad situation worse. 

If we 7-day opt the 3 year requal ADSC, will big AF really keep us at our base with no planes until the DOS?

Asking for a friend..

• Upvote 1

On 8/3/2018 at 7:01 AM, HossHarris said:

This one is double edged. 

Yes, there are fewer 365s. But they are almost all 179s now. 

179s are a lot less painful, yay us!

But you also can’t 3-day opt a 179, yay Usaf retention. 

I doubt the actual  number of deployed occupied desks making coffee and checking slides has changed significantly. 

I don't know too many people willing to bail out of the Air Force for a six month deployment.  Hell, those are the standard in my community when you go with a squadron and employ the aircraft downrange.  I know plenty of people willing to bail on a 365.

6 minutes ago, pawnman said:

I don't know too many people willing to bail out of the Air Force for a six month deployment.  Hell, those are the standard in my community when you go with a squadron and employ the aircraft downrange.  I know plenty of people willing to bail on a 365.

The deployment isn’t really the crux of the issue. 

The issue is who’s in charge of your future and who gets to make the yes / no decision. And that has been trending towards big blue for a little while now.

They Don’t have to make people want to stay if they don’t have a choice. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HossHarris said:

The deployment isn’t really the crux of the issue. 

The issue is who’s in charge of your future and who gets to make the yes / no decision. And that has been trending towards big blue for a little while now.

They Don’t have to make people want to stay if they don’t have a choice. 

For me the deployment is the crux of the issue... I’ve missed so much of my kids lives...

When I was gone 6 months without kids doing a meaningful mission it was OK.

When I was gone 3 months doing a meaningful mission and missed my kids first steps it was sad, but that is service.

When I was gone 2 months on a mission that was not required in a place where I could have brought my family and missed my kid talk... it was not worth it.

The length is a factor, but not THE (only) factor.

If the world explodes I’ll take my 4 year unaccompanied tour and go fight for America again. But if I even smell another wasted, mismanaged deployment, much less 6 monther or 365 cooking in the kitchen... I gone. Not worth it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

The AF has paid for my ATP and PhD. I'm in for 20 (5 more years). I haven't decided if I will stay past 20, but I won't accept an ADSC past 20 years. I will have less than 3 years when it's time to move again. I wouldn't mind a requal, but I have other career options post-AF and won't accept the ADSC. 

AFI 36-2110 paragraph 2.30.2.1

Officers in the grade of LtCol and below with less than 19 years TAFMS with no ADSC or an ADSC which will expire before they reach 20 years TAFMS will be authorized to request a retirement date in lieu of an additional ADSC if that additional ADSC would extend beyond the date the officer reaches 20 years TAFMS.

What’s happens with the C-21/C-37/C-40 units shutting down, will there be requal ADSC leniency? This three year requal ADSC is really making a bad situation worse. 

If we 7-day opt the 3 year requal ADSC, will big AF really keep us at our base with no planes until the DOS?

Asking for a friend..
Or they could still PCS you without the requal and you'll get to do some crappy ground job until your adsc runs out.

Hmm, I wonder who will soak up all the 179 day deployments...

2 minutes ago, jazzdude said:

Or they could still PCS you without the requal and you'll get to do some crappy ground job until your adsc runs out.

Hmm, I wonder who will soak up all the 179 day deployments...

True, but there is no guarantee that you won't get hit with a 180 or 365 anyway. Always a game of chess.

I think the requal adsc is a sign that we have all seen coming-our FTUs are not adequately manned/resourced. It should be a big red flag that FTU capacity isn't where it needs to be, making the strategy to grow our way out of the pilot shortage near impossible.

• Like 1

I think the requal adsc is a sign that we have all seen coming-our FTUs are not adequately manned/resourced. It should be a big red flag that FTU capacity isn't where it needs to be, making the strategy to grow our way out of the pilot shortage near impossible.

What do they call a UPT graduate? Pilot.

HAF doesn’t care if they’re through IQT or MQT. The numbers will be green for total number of pilots.

1 hour ago, jazzdude said:

I think the requal adsc is a sign that we have all seen coming-our FTUs are not adequately manned/resourced.

If BODN anecdotes are any indication, that problem will fix itself as pilots maneuver to avoid requal ADSCs and therefore the FTU, and instead complete their centerline thrust restriction removal and MEIs.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, nunya said:

If BODN anecdotes are any indication, that problem will fix itself as pilots maneuver to avoid requal ADSCs and therefore the FTU, and instead complete their centerline thrust restriction removal and MEIs.

For anyone not on TPN, looks like a new FAA memo will help with centerline thrust restriction. https://www.scribd.com/document/385329095/FAA-Centerline-Thrust-Restriction-Removal-Changes

2 minutes ago, ThreeHoler said:

Welcome to the discussion from yesterday.

Apologies. Three different DV visits cut into my internet time this week. I did a quick search for centerline thrust and only saw the previous post. Tried to post something quick before my wife kicked me off the computer to go mow the lawn. Epic fail. I submit myself for disciplinary actions.

1 hour ago, Dogs-N-Guns said:

Apologies. Three different DV visits cut into my internet time this week. I did a quick search for centerline thrust and only saw the previous post. Tried to post something quick before my wife kicked me off the computer to go mow the lawn. Epic fail. I submit myself for disciplinary actions.

Quibbling

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, pawnman said:

I suppose you mean RegAF. For some of us there's a canyon of difference between a primary AFSC deployment, and an AFCENT rent-seeking, combat desk, operation deny family,  green slide warrior, congressional pork barrel jobs program nonner 179. It may be a distinction without difference for those who entered the military with a high level of price inelasticity relative to what their income potential on the civil sector is. For those of us who have options on the outside however, it's anything but the same difference; it's a non-starter of a difference. I've left quite a bit of money on the table over that so-called non-difference over the last 12 years.

And I have point blank asked my family that question: in my household's case, the consensus is that if they are to involuntarily be without my company for 200 days out of the year, they prefer the sentence to be served out on a 3-on-4-off basis, vice a 200-on-165-off. Gee I wonder what that looks like? I digress. To each their own.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, di1630 said:

Manchester 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3