?s on ADSC (Active Duty Service Commitment)

The other one they pulled, the separations girl at MPF at least, was that AETC tours were controlled tours. The way she tried to explain it, that made it basically a 3 year ADSC even though I didn't have an ADSC. She tried to tell me they could keep me even though I was a free agent. I did the research and showed her the AFPAM (not AFI) governing controlled tours. Like every other reg, it's needlessly obscure about some things just to give shoe clerks the chance to screw you. 

In the end I basically just had to tell her to pound and and sign the form saying I'd been "counseled" by the SSgt about the benefits I was giving up by separating. What a fvcking joke of a system. Thankfully, once you hit submit on the separation request it goes right to AFPC. Local idiots don't get involved. Had the orders within a week. I was pleasantly shocked. 

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, MooseAg03 said:

So what AFI governs separations? I'd like to study up to hopefully prevent being screwed when the time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

36-3207 is Commissioned Officer Separations. 36-3206 is Admin Discharge for Officers.

Really what you're going to want is the Separations PSD from MyPers.

Edited by LookieRookie

2 hours ago, MooseAg03 said:

So what AFI governs separations? I'd like to study up to hopefully prevent being screwed when the time comes.

Couldn't hurt to brush up on 36-2110 Assignments, mainly the seven day option

So assuming someone stays past their UPT ADSC and is a free agent, what options do they have when given a non-vol 365? The other thread says a 3 day opt, but I'm hearing you must have a separation date established otherwise you can't opt out. If that's now the case it's just one more reason to quit.

Here is one for the masses, I get an assignment I don't like or want so I take the RIP down to the Laughlin MPF and 7 day opt it, ask if there is anything else I need to do, nope is the answer.  I go into the MPF once a month and ask if there is anything I need to do, nope (I sign in every time cause I know I'm getting screwed).  Fast forward 3 months and I am TDY on a Class A investigation (T-38 crashes on landing in Houston, they could make a movie outta that one) and I have that damn new government card that acts like a debit card and I call Citibank to make sure my room was covered.  I find out I have over $5K on the card for my PCS, to the assignment I thought I 7 day opted.  In the meanwhile I had applied for VSP through the vMPF because my future ANG until wanted my there before my ADSC was up.  After a lot of back and forth I was told I could remove my VSP app and basically 4 month opt at the time or let my VSP ride and if I get denied, just opt out of the assignment.  They agreed that my local MPF screwed me over and were willing to bend over backwards to help me, I got VSP.  (Don't take the money......ever).

Turns out you have to 7 day opt on vMPF, nobody knew.

You can 3-day opt a 365 like you always could. 

You can no longer set a DOS if you get a 179 to get out of the 179. Did you notice that almost all the 365s have been split into 2x 179s. Weird coincidence I'm sure. 

(If you already have a DOS set before notification of a 179 you should be good. Of course if you have a DOS in the next 6 months you shouldn't be getting a 179 ....)

You can 3-day opt a 365 like you always could. 

You can no longer set a DOS if you get a 179 to get out of the 179. Did you notice that almost all the 365s have been split into 2x 179s. Weird coincidence I'm sure. 

Meaning they make 2 dudes share the misery or they tag one poor soul with back to back 179s? I would think the former, but I wouldn't put it past the Air Force to do the latter.

Here is one for the masses, I get an assignment I don't like or want so I take the RIP down to the Laughlin MPF and 7 day opt it, ask if there is anything else I need to do, nope is the answer.  I go into the MPF once a month and ask if there is anything I need to do, nope (I sign in every time cause I know I'm getting screwed).  Fast forward 3 months and I am TDY on a Class A investigation (T-38 crashes on landing in Houston, they could make a movie outta that one) and I have that damn new government card that acts like a debit card and I call Citibank to make sure my room was covered.  I find out I have over $5K on the card for my PCS, to the assignment I thought I 7 day opted.  In the meanwhile I had applied for VSP through the vMPF because my future ANG until wanted my there before my ADSC was up.  After a lot of back and forth I was told I could remove my VSP app and basically 4 month opt at the time or let my VSP ride and if I get denied, just opt out of the assignment.  They agreed that my local MPF screwed me over and were willing to bend over backwards to help me, I got VSP.  (Don't take the money......ever).

I knew you were ed at "Laughlin MPF"

Guest No2bonus
4 hours ago, matmacwc said:

When the MPF closes for training days, WTF are they actually doing? After you showed up in person they should have told you the first time to use vMPF.

Edited by No2bonus

The problem is that "training days" aren't used for training to do their actual jobs, it's to knock out green dot, suicide prevention, cyber awareness, wingman day prep, human relations CBTs, etc. (assuming they're doing anything productive at all, which might be a stretch)

Guest No2bonus
1 hour ago, mcbush said:

The problem is that "training days" aren't used for training to do their actual jobs, it's to knock out green dot, suicide prevention, cyber awareness, wingman day prep, human relations CBTs, etc. (assuming they're doing anything productive at all, which might be a stretch)

Thanks for the information. I thought the clinic and MPF were honing their skills on "training days."

I think the MPF needs a beer light and should invite the folks in ops over on their next "training day." We can all "train" together. I'm trying to create synergy.

Edited by No2bonus

10 hours ago, MooseAg03 said:

...they tag one poor soul with back to back 179s? I would think the former, but I wouldn't put it past the Air Force to do the latter.

This directly violates CSAF policy on 179-day deployments. If it happens my first call would be to my chain of command. 

Had to run by MPF one day and the door was closed for "training". However the door was unlocked so I decided I would just see what kind of "training" they were up to. Turns out they were all huddled around a laptop in the back watching some Hollywood movie. Then I realized why Non-rated retention was so freaking high.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

• Upvote 1

Guest No2bonus
3 hours ago, Duck said:

Had to run by MPF one day and the door was closed for "training". However the door was unlocked so I decided I would just see what kind of "training" they were up to. Turns out they were all huddled around a laptop in the back watching some Hollywood movie. Then I realized why Non-rated retention was so freaking high.

When you walked in did they even acknowledge you or keep watching their movie? You didn't see the "training" sign on the door...sir!

Did you a snap a pic? You could be on to something here... couple of images to go viral on social media and this could make the point for us versus the "ops vs support" sport bitching.

3 hours ago, Duck said:

Hollysood movie met the CAF down day diversity pillar, the 4th and invisible usaf pillar

• Upvote 1

I wish I would have taken a picture. I was a brand new 1LT and hadn't figured out how backwards it was. They did get up and get me whatever it was I needed though.

Holloman AFB. Best in Air Force? Check out the close up of their hours. Did the same thing, door was shut but not locked. I walk in and everyone is essentially ing off. All civilians with a few non present enlisted personnel. They were not happy to see me.29105efa3392a2535d0404e7079e92c9.jpg19458c29c73e4b9bf2784d42bb702533.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

On 4/6/2017 at 8:38 PM, MooseAg03 said:

Meaning they make 2 dudes share the misery or they tag one poor soul with back to back 179s? I would think the former, but I wouldn't put it past the Air Force to do the latter.

I think a lot fewer people would bail on the Air Force over a 6-month deployment than a year-long one.  But that could just be me.

6 months is still way too long for too little payoff personnel wise. When I joined, 90 days was the standard. It may have costed more to swap people out more often, but it was so much easier on the family. What happened?

I think a lot fewer people would bail on the Air Force over a 6-month deployment than a year-long one.  But that could just be me.

I think the AF also does a shitty job vetting the "requirements" on the 6 monthers. There are a lot of rated officer deployments that could be sourced with non-rated, enlisted personnel. The cost, in time and money, of getting a pilot re-qualed or re-current after one of these should be reason enough to stop sending 11Xs to non-flying billets.

Guest No2bonus
1 hour ago, Duck said:

6 months is still way too long for too little payoff personnel wise. When I joined, 90 days was the standard. It may have costed more to swap people out more often, but it was so much easier on the family. What happened?

From my understanding, the Army was doing one year deployments. I know of units who still deploy for a year. During Gates time in office, we as an AF wasn't doing enough of anything right in his eyes. So the AF had to embrace the suck too with 6 month deployments. 

Edited by No2bonus