?s on ADSC (Active Duty Service Commitment)

Guest Jbino17

Sorry about my last post. It sounded way to dramatic. The risk doesn't bother me, and neither does the commitment. I just didn't expect that they would get rid of anyone who got into UPT. I figure most of those guys are extremely smart and would hope they would give them a chance at another career field if they wanted it.

Good point about wasting the AF's time and money. Although I know plenty of other military personel who waste tax dollars on purpose and are still employed, but naively I hope they are the minority!

Guest danjd26

To make sure, is that 10 years on AD? Or can you serve some of that commitment out in the guard or reserves?

Guest T38driver

Right now, that's 10 years on AD. (Unless you get approved for Palace Chase) There are always exceptions. For planning purposes, bet on 10 years. The Air Force spent a lot of money on you, and they are going to get their money's worth.

• 2 months later...
Guest wannabeflyer

I am a AFROTC guy who wants to fly and is trying get some idea of what i'm getting into before I inccur a 10 yr. ADSC. My question is what exactly does ADSC entail and can/how can it be broken if say the Air Force is force shaping such as it is today, medical DQ from flying, family hardship, etc. Before everyone tells me I'm a ###### for even asking please consider that most of us wannabe's are signing up for around 12 yrs. of Air Force without any idea what the lifestyle is actually like or what it's like to be deployed 270+ days a year with a family, etc. Thanks for the input

Before everyone tells me I'm a pussy for even asking please consider that most of us wannabe's are signing up for around 12 yrs. of Air Force without any idea what the lifestyle is actually like or what it's like to be deployed 270+ days a year with a family, etc.
You said it. As far as what it entails, it means the AF has you if they want you. If they decide they don't, then it can be broken, by them.

Guest DangerousLT

It's a good question. Definately make sure this is the only thing you want to do for the next 12 years. So far I'm not regretting my decision - but I definately could have spent more time considering it before taking the plunge.

Try and get an incentive ride in whatever you really want to fly. Flying 172's is one thing. Flying in a high performance jet is quite another. It might help your decision...

You could always go to nav school if youre hurting on the commitment issue. They still fly and their ADSC is shorter - like 6? years nowadays.

Or you could find something you like besides flying, get your education and do your 4 years and be done with it. Then when youre 69 years old you can tell your grandkids how you passed on the idea of flying jets for the greatest airpower in the world so you could go work in an office with no windows in the basement of Wright-Pat just so you could get out in 4 years and go work in an office WITH a window at IBM or whatever.

Other than that, YGBSM. Sorry if Im busting your chops on this one, but you gotta understand how lucky you are compared to the 6900 other guys out there each year that are either Medically DQ'd or too old or whatever and CANT go to UPT. Theyd do anything, ANYTHING to be able to fly...

Chuck

[ 25. September 2006, 19:42: Message edited by: Chuck17 ]

Guest KillYourself

I was worried about the 12 year ADSC so I selected nav instead of pilot myself.

I figured if I liked the AF and the flyer lifestyle then I can either upgrade to pilot or, worse case, continue flying as a nav. I may never make GO but that's not important to me.

Think it through and do what works for you.

How badly do you want to fly?
Only IMO, which may not hold much yet, but that's the key right there. At least for me, all I want to do is fly and kick some AQ ass...so what if it's in derkaderkastan...you're serving your country, kicking those bastards around, and doing it all by flying. If that's what you want to do, then just sign the ADSC. I bet ya 10-12 yrs goes by real damn quick; you won't even realize until it's over (and that's exactly what I've heard from every single military pilot I've talked to). If you really want to fly, you're not going to regret signing it.

Guest scottaxelson

Ive been a nav for 4+ years, and I just added bout 11 more with a UPT slot. I love this job and love serving my country. Getting to put on a flight suit everyday and wear wings is more than enough to get me going in the mornings and something I dont take for granted.

To me, this is not a job. Its about protecting a way of life too many people take for granted.

Dude, I was basically thinking the exact same thing when I was deciding whether or not to put in for a pilot categorization or not. I was thinking, man, 12 years is a long time, what if I get there and decide if I don't like it? Obviously, I decided to do it and have never thought twice about it since. I can't imagine doing anything else. I haven't gone yet, but I'm looking forward to deployments as a chance to actually do what I've spent so much time learning. If it's just the 12 years and deployments you're worried about, go for it. The 12 years will be over before you know it and if you end up hating deployments, you could always camp out in AETC and almost never get deployed.

So who was the last flier that got force-shaped?

Answer - it hasn't happened. Yet.

Okay, so a couple navs at Offut will be affected, but NOT people signing on for that 10-12 year commitment.

As for deployment rates and families and all that other horseshit, you're joining the MILITARY. They pay you on the 1st and the 15th for that shit. Amazes me how many people can't seem to grasp that.

A maintenance buddy of mine just got back from a deployment to Kyrgyzstan, and mentioned he wants to cross-train. I asked what, and he says Optometry. I asked cool, now why? Answer - "I want a job that never deploys, so I figure that's where to go."

I wanted to reach across the table and strangle him. Keep in mind this was his second deployment in 3 and a half years, and his previous one was to Frankfurt, Germany - pretty cake as far as deployments go. His complaint is that this deployment stuff takes him away from his wife and possible family (wants to have kids). I guess he forgot whom he gave his oath to. What pisses me off even more is that he gets paid extra money (family sep) for this, that I don't get, and he STILL *****es about it...

[ 26. September 2006, 00:17: Message edited by: Chuck Farleston ]

I'm on my first deployment. This experience is nothing short of amazing. This is the best flying, combat experience, and squadron building "bro" factor I have experienced to date. I will stay here as long as they powers that be will let me. We may get extended to six months...and that's good news to me. I do miss the comforts of home-everyone does-but nothing compares to actually doing the J O B in the AOR with your bros. I can see how this could get old for the dudes in the mobility business...they're here in the AOR so many days/year. But if you're in a jet that kills people and breaks their shit and helps our dudes on the ground...I can't think of a better place to be. But what do I know?

If you don't have the passion to fly, don't bother. For me, the idea stirs something deep inside me. It's the only job I can think of that excites me like this. And that's why I would happily sign up for a 12 year committment. Hopefully you can find something like that. If it's Air Force aviation, sign that contract and know that everything else will sort itself out. Otherwise, don't.

Originally posted by ucf_motorcycle:

Everyone knows the ADSC is 10 years after your wings. But then why did I and everyone who was with me at OTS at the time sign for 8 years? I even asked this question before I signed the paper and the MPF didn't have an answer. So I signed.

Ucf,

I would hold on to that piece of paper. That is the official "contract" between you and the AF. I know a NAV who only served 4 years of his 5 year ADSC because of a similar screw-up. He had decided to get out and went to turn in his paperwork. When he was at MPF they found out that they had signed the ADSC and it had the wrong date. He was able to seperate on the date on the form even though everyone knew it was a screw-up.

Unless things have changed, that is your ticket to walk early if you decide to. That being said, I hope you enjoy what you are doing so much that you decide to stay in. Hell, I'm still well beyond the initial commitment and enjoy everyday that I come to work.

• 11 months later...

Anyone know when the pilot time commitment went from 8 to 10 years? What year? I also need a regulation/instruction that has it in writing. I am in the Guard so it may be different than AD for the regulation, but it gets me headed in the right direction. Any help would be great. Thanks

Edited by Pan130

Anyone know when the pilot time commitment went from 8 to 10 years? What year? I also need a regulation/instruction that has it in writing. I am in the Guard so it may be different than AD for the regulation, but it gets me headed in the right direction. Any help would be great. Thanks

I don't know the reg, but FY99 was 8 years, I was FY00 and we are 10. :banghead:

Are you talking about 10 years total, or 10 years from when you report to your first flying unit?

I know I've got the 8 year commitment, but the clock doesn't start until I show up at my first operational flying unit, which means it'll really be about 10.5-11 year commitment.

I know I've got the 8 year commitment, but the clock doesn't start until I show up at my first operational flying unit, which means it'll really be about 10.5-11 year commitment.

???

I thought the AF was still doing 10 years starting from your winging date.

HD

Correct. Active duty grads receive their endentured servitude of 10 years the day they graduate from pilot training (winging)..not sure how guard/reserve handles it.

I'll join the chorus...how did you pull off the 8 year commitment thing? Thought it was 10 years for everyone still...