?s on ADSC (Active Duty Service Commitment)

I'll join the chorus...how did you pull off the 8 year commitment thing? Thought it was 10 years for everyone still...

I checked, and I'm showing 10 years. I thought I'd been told only 8. I'm planning on going for 20 anyways, so I wasn't all that concerned with it. Which means that, after my yearlong casual and all the follow-on schools, I'm looking at 12.5-13 years. By that point and time, I figure might as well stay for the ACP, if they're still offering the 5-year program, putting me to 17.5-18, and then 2 years for retirement. 50% of even O-5 pay puts alot of food on the table...

• 2 weeks later...

Is this in addition to a commission service commitment (or is that the same thing)? I've got seven years of service and an addition 11-13 years would put me right at retirement (although I would probably continue for as long as the AF wants me).

Is this in addition to a commission service commitment (or is that the same thing)? I've got seven years of service and an addition 11-13 years would put me right at retirement (although I would probably continue for as long as the AF wants me).

Those are likely concurrent commitments so you would be eligible to get out in 11-13 yrs. I, too, would like to stay 20 but I think Guard/Reserves will prove too tempting.....one day at a time though.

If you graduated after October 1999, you have a 10 year commitment. I graduated in Dec 1999, congrats to me, I have a 10 year commitment because I went through a 4.5 year EE degree. The dudes in my college class that did 4 year degrees, have an 8 year commitment. You must realize that you clock does not start until THE day you put the wings on your chest.

Guest NoGoodName

I too graduated and supposedly am subject to the 10 year indentured servitude UPT commitment. I'm not exactly sure what happened at AFPC or if there was a policy change I am not aware of, but my ADSC service date only reflects an 8 year commitment (taking me through 2012 vice 2014). Any idea what happened and if mine is simply a fluke? Of course I don't plan on pointing this out to anyone.... :thumbsup:

I too graduated and supposedly am subject to the 10 year indentured servitude UPT commitment. I'm not exactly sure what happened at AFPC or if there was a policy change I am not aware of, but my ADSC service date only reflects an 8 year commitment (taking me through 2012 vice 2014). Any idea what happened and if mine is simply a fluke? Of course I don't plan on pointing this out to anyone.... :thumbsup:

Good call! Don't even ask the question, we had a few dudes who came back to the Buff after being gone more than 5 years and the MPF screwed up their ADSC (should have added 3 years for their initial qual training)...some were able to separate after a year in their unit and are now flying the friendly skies all because they didnt bother asking the question.

• 1 month later...
Guest F16crewdwgg

OK, so I know a sign on minimum term for Officer in the Air Force is 4 yrs. I also "heard" a sign on term for a pilot is a minimum of I think 8yrs. My question is what if in AFROTC I am applying for pilot and for some reason I do not get it. Do I have to sign up still for the longer term to try for pilot? Or is the choice given to sign on for 4yrs? I hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

Guest F16crewdwgg
ADSC for pilot is 10 years from the date of winging. If you don't graduate UPT, you don't incur the 10 year ADSC.

Ok, so you start with either a 4 or 6 yr term and if you get your wings its a 10 yr minimum?

OK, so I know a sign on minimum term for Officer in the Air Force is 4 yrs. I also "heard" a sign on term for a pilot is a minimum of I think 8yrs. My question is what if in AFROTC I am applying for pilot and for some reason I do not get it. Do I have to sign up still for the longer term to try for pilot? Or is the choice given to sign on for 4yrs? I hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

You only get the 8 year commitment (NAV) and 10 year commitment (Pilot) if you get selected during the rated boards ( I'm not sure if ABMs have a longer commitment too). Once you get selected you sign a piece of paper saying you're not going to be a regular line officer, but a rated officer (whatever you got picked up for) and that you accept the extra commitment that comes with it.

So, if you don't become a rated selectee... then you don't get the uber long commitment.

You only get the 8 year commitment (NAV) and 10 year commitment (Pilot) if you get selected during the rated boards ( I'm not sure if ABMs have a longer commitment too). Once you get selected you sign a piece of paper saying you're not going to be a regular line officer, but a rated officer (whatever you got picked up for) and that you accept the extra commitment that comes with it.

Rated officers are line officers. Line officer is a competition category for promotion.

ADSC big picture:

-If you are selected for a rated position, you will sign an ADSC statment.

-The ADSC will begin from the date you complete training and receive your wings.

-If you do not complete the training, you do not incur the ADSC associated with it.

-All ADSCs run concurrently.

-Pilot ADSC - 10 years

-Nav ADSC - 6 years (Dubs, I don't know if it changed to 8 years or not, but afrotc.com still says 6.)

-ABM ADSC - 6 years

HD

Edited by HerkDerka

-Nav ADSC - 6 years (Dubs, I don't know if it changed to 8 years or not, but afrotc.com still says 6.)

As of a month or 2 ago the JSUNT Form 63's were 6 years after wings (probably about 8-9 total with the rate the Navy is putting navs through, don't know the Randolph timeline).

Rated officers are line officers. Line officer is a competition category for promotion.

Hmmm... maybe I'm confusing this with something else... but there was some form (I could swear I signed something like this... but then again my mind could be playing tricks on me) that changed my category from just saying something like "Line" to "Nav"... er... "CSO"

That's mainly what I was trying to get at

Oops, no it is 6... I had the 8 year thing going with 2 for training plus 6 after

Hmmm... maybe I'm confusing this with something else... but there was some form (I could swear I signed something like this... but then again my mind could be playing tricks on me) that changed my category from just saying something like "Line" to "Nav"... er... "CSO"

I know what you're getting at. What you're referring to is just a ROTC-ism. Basically, when you get a rated slot, your category changes because you don't have to compete with the other cadets for jobs.

Oops, no it is 6... I had the 8 year thing going with 2 for training plus 6 after

Gotcha. It's normal for navs to be in the pipeline for less than two years. Most nav start flying the lines in an ops squadron before they pin 1LT, depending on the MWS. But for discussion purposes, 8 years is a good wag.

HD

• 6 months later...
Guest calinod

I just had a question about the AFROTC Service Obligation you owe. I read on the afrotc website as well as heard that MOST cadets incur a 4-year active duty commitment. I also heard that it's an 8-year commitment and not a 4.

What's the difference between the Service Obligation of 8 years and the active duty commitment of 4? Also, I heard from a cadet that if you are on scholarship you owe 8 years, if you're not on scholarship you owe 4. I just feel like I'm "hearing" alot of stuff and after reading a lot on these forums I feel the people on here seem to know a lot.

Say you join ROTC, get a scholarship, and commission in an AFSC that isn't pilot, nav, abm etc...Would you owe 4 years or 8 (4 active 4 reserve)? Thanks.

Edited by calinod

Guest Codename46

I was always under the impression that the commitment regardless of whether or not you get a scholarship was 4 active and 4 reserve.

Guest calinod
I was always under the impression that the commitment regardless of whether or not you get a scholarship was 4 active and 4 reserve.

That's where I'm confused because I've been told that if you are on scholarship you sign a contract and get a military reserve id. Does that mean that the time you are in college counts as 4 years (or whenever you got the scholarship) since you are contracted?

What's the difference between the Service Obligation of 8 years and the active duty commitment of 4? ...Would you owe 4 years or 8 (4 active 4 reserve)? Thanks.

Your initial term of enlistment is for eight years from commissioning. Non-flying officers generally incur a 4-year active duty service commitment (ADSC), after which they can leave the military and spend 4 years in the IRR (Inactive Ready Reserve - doesn't drill but can be called up in case of major national emergency). If you incur additional active duty commitments than they can use up the rest of the 8 years in any combination. For example, a nav could spend 2 years in training, get winged, get a 6 year ADSC and serve all 8 years active.

AFAIK your "enlisted" status in ROTC only really makes a difference if you are disenrolled and they make you go enlisted; since you are already in the system as an E-x assigned to the obligated reserve section (probably a file folder at ARPC), they can just issue orders calling you to active duty at BMT instead of trying to enlist/draft you.

Your initial term of enlistment is for eight years from commissioning. Non-flying officers generally incur a 4-year active duty service commitment (ADSC), after which they can leave the military and spend 4 years in the IRR (Inactive Ready Reserve - doesn't drill but can be called up in case of major national emergency). If you incur additional active duty commitments than they can use up the rest of the 8 years in any combination. For example, a nav could spend 2 years in training, get winged, get a 6 year ADSC and serve all 8 years active.

AFAIK your "enlisted" status in ROTC only really makes a difference if you are disenrolled and they make you go enlisted; since you are already in the system as an E-x assigned to the obligated reserve section (probably a file folder at ARPC), they can just issue orders calling you to active duty at BMT instead of trying to enlist/draft you.

From how it was explained to me was, once you contracted (for non scholarship types) after field training, the two years (or however long you have until commission) between contracting and commissioning counted as 2 inactive years. You'd have to do 4 active once you commission and then another 2 inactive at the end. Course, this may have changed since when I went through.

ROTC time doesn't count for any anything, even though you are "enlisted" while you are in it.

Guest calinod

Thanks for all the replys everybody.

I talked to my buddy who is on scholarship and he dug up his copy of the scholarship papers he signed...It says 8 year MSO in which 4 are active duty and 4 to be served in a reserve section of the AF. Anyone know if the 4 reserve can be in ANG or is that completey different? hah sorry, I don't really know much.

Edited by calinod

Can anyone tell me how the ADSC works if you switch to a guard or reserve unit before your time is up? Example: serve 5 years after pilot wings...does that mean you can serve the other 5 in ANG/RES or do they boost it up to equal the AD 5? Is it even possible at all?

Can anyone tell me how the ADSC works if you switch to a guard or reserve unit before your time is up? Example: serve 5 years after pilot wings...does that mean you can serve the other 5 in ANG/RES or do they boost it up to equal the AD 5? Is it even possible at all?

No experience in this whatsoever, but from what I saw when people this last time around could go Palace Chase (switch from AD to ANG or AFR): whatever ADSC time you had remaining was doubled for time to serve in the ANG/AFR. In your example, the 5 remaining AD years would mean 10 years in the ANG/AFR. I don't know anyone that has been allowed to Palace Chase recently.

Guest Hammer

Most people are signing on for 4 AD plus 4 ready reserves. Aviators get the longer terms of commitment right off the bat, so these days it seems unlikely they'd want to shunt highly trained personnel off the early reserve status. But then again, pretty much anything is possible if it's useful or convenient for the AF at the moment.