differences between ANG and AFRC.. ?

Guest bravodelta79

Guest bravodelta79

Besides the ANG being a (primarily) state group and the AFRC being a federal group, what are the day-to-day differences between the two? I'm going through the interview process and have some stuff coming up with both. I understand that the ANG unit hires you and you go through the NGB whereas the AFRC sponsors you and then you go to a board sometime during the year. Also, AMS for ANG and (recently) all OTS for the AFRC.

After the hiring process, everything I've read shows them to be similar as far as UPT, SERE and then seasoning at your unit.

What other differences have you found? In the thread talking about the (rumors of) AFRC absorbing the ANG I read that the AF can have their way (sts) with the AFRC, but not with the ANG.

If you've followed along on my rambling so far, I appreciate it. I'm just trying to figure out what lifestyle and operational differences there would be with going to one or the other.

Cheers!

The academic differences might not be as relevant as the financial differences, as it pertains to the lowly individual member. In my opinion the AFRC has a better pot of money and pay structure (title 10 all the way) than your garden variety ANG unit. From my anectodal experience, between friends in the Guard, and those we have absorbed from BRAC'ed Guard units, I've come to the conclusion that everything else being equal (big assumption) you have a better opportunity to make money and less chance of consolidation at a AFRC unit than a ANG unit. So that's my take on ANG vs. AFRC, mileage may vary as always.

Of course I'm not even including the historically (way way in my experience) faster timeline for the AFRC to push you through training compared to the NGB, which everybody agrees it's like pulling teeth with the ANG. That said, location and airframe preferences will temper any individual preference towards either organization. My point is that when I looked at differences, these issues were the ones I considered relevant and I'm glad I'm AFRC today. Good luck.

Guest evil load

Not much of any difference IMO. Both AFRC and ANG have various types of pay status ( I think there are 8 different types). Some you can use on a flying status, some are ground status. Training is the same (UPT/SERE etc...). A little difference in commisioning (OTS vs AMS) programs, but AFRC and ANG go to either. When you get home, the amount of "seasoning" training may differ in length between ANG/AFRC. Missions are the same. You want to blow up stuff, both commands have fighters/attack aircraft. Fly transports, ditto. Want to put out forest fires, both the AFRC and ANG have the same equipment. The big difference is the ANG gets better tuition plans than AFRC (up to 100% tuition reimbursement, GI Bill, and Loan Repayment vs GI Bill and Kicker). More AGR slots in the ANG than AFRC for flyers. As for AF having their way with AFRC, AF can always try to but AFRC is still a seperate command like the ANG.

Guest slicknav

What about the differences between ANG and AFRC when you need a wavier to go to UPT. I'm talking the "5 yrs in service" waiver and possibily the age waiver? anyone have good insites?

• 10 months later...

I'm a little confused on what's going on with AFRC officer training right now. I found this in wikipedia...

"As of October 2007 Lt-Gen Bradley of AFRC has mandated that Air Force Reserve Officer Candidates attend the same 12-week OTS as their active-duty counterparts."

I feel like I've read something like this on a forum somewhere but can't find it again. Can anyone shed some light or direct me to a good source? Seems like I've read that it can go either way AMS or OTS regardless if your prior or non prior.

Thanks

Edited by kapilot

I'm a little confused on what's going on with AFRC officer training right now. I found this in wikipedia...

"As of October 2007 Lt-Gen Bradley of AFRC has mandated that Air Force Reserve Officer Candidates attend the same 12-week OTS as their active-duty counterparts."

I feel like I've read something like this on a forum somewhere but can't find it again. Can anyone shed some light or direct me to a good source? Seems like I've read that it can go either way AMS or OTS regardless if your prior or non prior.

Thanks

All AFRC pilots through OTS. I heard that AMS is closing, so everyone will go through OTS eventually.