How to get ready for ROTC

stingray

Guest PBruton

Check out my site I made on how I started as an AS 250 Cadet and ended up with DG (9 months after) and a pilot slot (18 months after).

Let me know if it helps.

• 3 months later...

Not to derail the thread but I just moved into my college dorm and I got a mini-fridge and I told my roommate that he could put stuff in it if he wanted and i came home and there were 2 bottles of vodka in it. I don't have a moral problem with alcohol, I'll party every once in a while but we're not supposed to have alcohol in the dorms.

Do you think that if we got written up for having it in the dorms by the college, not by the cops, that they would kick me out of ROTC even if I didn't own the alcohol and never drank it? I remember reading something about a Det/CC getting mad at a cadet for just allowing underage drinking in his dorm, but I don't want to be a douche to my roommate.

Gannon

Not to derail the thread but I just moved into my college dorm and I got a mini-fridge and I told my roommate that he could put stuff in it if he wanted and i came home and there were 2 bottles of vodka in it. I don't have a moral problem with alcohol, I'll party every once in a while but we're not supposed to have alcohol in the dorms.

Do you think that if we got written up for having it in the dorms by the college, not by the cops, that they would kick me out of ROTC even if I didn't own the alcohol and never drank it? I remember reading something about a Det/CC getting mad at a cadet for just allowing underage drinking in his dorm, but I don't want to be a douche to my roommate.

Gannon

They wouldn't kick you out just for that. Could you get written up? Yes. Will the Det/CC give you the boot? I would be surprised...he'd have to be a huge ass.

Gannon

I've seen it happen...reallly depends on your PAS...just be up front with your roommate, and if he has a problem with it, hes probably an ass.

Gannon

I would not sweat it, unless you go to BYU.

At FSU you would get kicked out if you didn't have 2 bottles in you fridge at all times. I would take advantage of free chicks and alcohol while you can. Soon you will graduate, get sent to the Died, and you will not see either ever again!

I would not sweat it, unless you go to BYU.

At FSU you would get kicked out if you didn't have 2 bottles in you fridge at all times. I would take advantage of free chicks and alcohol while you can. Soon you will graduate, get sent to the Died, and you will not see either ever again!

Haha that's a good point. ROTC orientation is tomorrow so I'll see what they say. Thanks for the advice guys.

Guest boaisyjon

Any clue as to what ROTC orientation is like? I've got mine next Tuesday at Det 410.

Thanks,

boaisyjon

Any clue as to what ROTC orientation is like? I've got mine next Tuesday at Det 410.

Thanks,

boaisyjon

From what I remember from mine, Its a pretty long day. Our detachment did a tour of our det (heres the lounge, place where you'll get uniforms, library, lockers, etc), and then we all met up in a building where a lot of people brought their parents to see things for themselves. Lots of questions and answers. Summon together all the questions you can fathom and don't be afraid to ask. ROTC is a commitment and its your responsibility to know what your getting yourself into.

Lets not forget all the experienced cadets that meet you at the door with a smile assuring your experience will be lovely. Wait till a few weeks after that when they start smack'n you around and flashing the authority card.

Don't forget the automated message of "Good morning/afternoon/evening Sir/Mam, How are you?". The only real thing you'll have to do to not screw it up is check your watch if its morning, afternoon, or evening. I have literally been corrected 1 minute after noon. :rainbow:

You'll notice the authority tool bags really fast. Their fresh out of field training and aching for a salute. They stand around outside the det, hat on and all. They are waiting for that salute like a bus on the street. Bust out and bail out.

Btw, I recommend Lincoln wax for your base layers, finished with a dab of Kiwi Parade gloss. Nuff said.

Enjoy the :rainbow:'ness

Guest boaisyjon

So I'm going to be a 24 year old AS 250....it sounds like there is a high percentage of tools. There's going to be people I can get along with too, right?

Thanks,

BJ

So I'm going to be a 24 year old AS 250....it sounds like there is a high percentage of tools. There's going to be people I can get along with too, right?

Are you serious? You're like four years older than most of the people in your class.

Thanks,

BJ

We have a 25 year old AS250 now at M6 and got along fine with everyone from the freshmen to the seniors. Good guy.

Basically, it is all on you on how well you will get along with everyone. You'll see the tools when you start this year, hopefully there won't be a tank full of them for your sake ;) .

Yea, i've just started ROTC, how do you remember all the courtesies? Do they just get drilled into your head.

There's an upperclassmen who just got back from FT who's a real tool. Real full of himself and has a stutter. Interesting to watch.

If you have an ounce of intelligence, they come to you quickly. Don't worry about it (or the toolbag)

• 1 month later...
Guest PBruton

I just found out that I got selected for ENJJPT, if you want to know the path I took to getting that pilot slot, check out my blog:

My Blog

Good Luck