How to get ready for ROTC

stingray

Hey guys, this is my first post. I'm a senior in high school going to college next year. I've got my ppl and i'm working on instrument and glider ratings and i have about 70-80 hours (total not pic), and I want to be a pilot in the air force. I called the afrotc detachment by where i'm going to college and they told me to call in and do an interview during the summer. I'm going to but I was wondering if I should get my hair into AF standards before I go, it's kind of long but i've been progressively cutting it. Also the pilot selection process is really competitive from what i've read, and how do you not get psyched out about it and feel nervous all the time that you won't be selected?

Thanks for all of your time and advice,

Gannon

Hey guys, this is my first post. I'm a senior in high school going to college next year. I've got my ppl and i'm working on instrument and glider ratings and i have about 70-80 hours (total not pic), and I want to be a pilot in the air force. I called the afrotc detachment by where i'm going to college and they told me to call in and do an interview during the summer. I'm going to but I was wondering if I should get my hair into AF standards before I go, it's kind of long but i've been progressively cutting it. Also the pilot selection process is really competitive from what i've read, and how do you not get psyched out about it and feel nervous all the time that you won't be selected?

Gannon

I'd probably cut your hair. When I went in for my first orientation my hair was a full on crazy mullet with grooves cut in the side. Looked sick, but it probably gave off a wild impression. Cutting it won't hurt you.

Getting psyched out is a waste of energy. School and ROTC will drain you enough, so focus more on the things you need to work on than worrying.

Pilot selection is competitive, but if your doing what you should be doing your chances are good.

Edited by yerfer

Guest MizzouNav

cut your hair, be repsectful and don't be afriad to take on projects but always be willing to admit if you are overloaded.

Take LLab seiously and get physically fit if you aren't already, pick a degree program you are interested in and actually study.

and don't get into trouble with the law.

do all that you shouldn't fear for a rated slot... unless you have some of the medical problems discussed in the aviation medicine section of thsi board. That is the only thing that get between you and a rated lot, if you do the above.

Gannon

Is this interview for scholarship or just to join the detachment? I don't know that ROTC will turn anyone away, so I wouldn't be nervous about the interview at all. Pilot selection will happen the Spring semester of your junior year. Join the detachment, get involved in extra curricular activities, have a high GPA, and score well on the fitness test will put you on the fast track to getting selected for pilot.

As far as your hair goes, I personally wouldn't worry too much about it. If you want to cut your hair in regs, good for you. If not, just look professional. You'll need it in regs while you are in ROTC, but during the summer you're free to do what you want.

If you want to know what it takes to get a pilot slot in ROTC, search for Order of Merit...it's the score used in ROTC to determine selection to pilot.

Alright thanks for the replies everyone. I know ROTC probably won't turn me away but I still want to make a good impression. When it comes to doing stuff in the DET should I volunteer for everything that's available or only things that I actually want to do, because I don't think that I'll be enthusiastic about doing stuff like drill team, but everyone says to be active in the DET.

Gannon

Guest MizzouNav

only do things you want to do. If you do too much (i did this) your grades will suffer. Just remember, the guy that does everything burns out and usually fails. Just pick a few things you like and then do your best during PT and LLab. Don't be a "ribbon chaser" as you will have no friends. don't do things just to get noticed either. that can and will backfire on you.

Cadre notice a good cadet better than a busy cadet, keep that in mind.

Yeah, don't sign up for everything as that will be no fun and it's not an efficient way to spend your time (for many reasons). I found that ROTC is not a whole lot of fun if you have to wake up early for PT and then you get to LLab to march around. What makes it fun is the people you are doing it with and the extracurricular things you can do with them. So, play IM sports or whatever interests you and you'll make the most of it. When you have fun, you'll put in more effort and you'll do better. Grades are just extremely important. I'm the worst student ever and I'm lucky to have a pilot slot. Life would have been so much better if I'd just put in a little more effort into school.

Actually, I think an often overlooked thing is your relationship with cadre. I'm sure it varies from Det to Det, but wow, if the cadre likes you they will go to bat for you. They will be willing to go out of their way to help you because you have shown an interest in them. So just stop by and talk to the NCOs. Talk to your PAS... whatever it takes. Don't kiss ass, just be normal and have a good relationship.

A lot of good advice above. I know what it feels like to be at the top then the bottom and then the top again so take it for what its worth.

1. I started off with a solid interview with my det (just like you), I got offered a Type I scholarship, on the spot, for a non-tech major because I did well in high school, athletics, good SAT scores, and I blew the "basketball throw" away.

2. Freshman year - got really discouraged, barely scraped by with a little over a 2.5 GPA, hated my major switched 5 times, had to beg a chemistry professor not to fail me, just enough to keep my scholarship (didn't get involved in ANYTHING ROTC related), I was just trying to stay a float. Ranked 29 out of 30.

3. Sophomore year - All the people who were in the top 5 (you know the ones who basically slept at the Det) they all got canned due to grades (one chick had a 0.9 GPA). After 3 semesters of straight A's brought my GPA up to a 3.6, starting to show up to the things that I could and improving my PFT, I went from 29 to 5 in my class. Even with a middle third rating at Field Training (woohoo!).

4. POC years - made it a point to just do the best at whatever job I got put in, Flight CC, Squadron CC, then Wing CC and then finally Finance and Acquisitions Officer. MOST IMPORTANTLY, STAYED OUT OF ALL THE OTHER RUMOR/BACKSTABBING BS that happens in a semi-competitive environment. Finished in the top two.

Just remember a good appearance (short haircut helps), a respectful/can-do attitude and a few "yes sir/no sir" gets you a long way. Finally make friends with everyone, but keep a distance from those who are out for themselves or just to bring others down.

Edited by leadeagle05

Guest F16crewdwgg

Here is what I would do if I were you:

--Get the haircut, something to where its finger length on top, and hair is not touching ears on the side.. (can't go wrong with a medium fade)..

--IMPORTANT!!! Train for PT.. You may think your in shape, but depending on your DET, PT can be rough. It was for me at first. To prepare for this, just run a lot, try to run at a decent pace for 20 min non stop. You don't have to run 6 min miles here. Just a 9-10 min mile jog is good for prep. Do lots of sit ups and push ups, and a ton of flutter kicks and scissors.. these will eat you alive if you do not do them often.

--Next, I'd get myself a ARCO study guide and get going on preparing for the AFOQT. Never to early to start studying for a test you can only take twice in your life (3 times with a waiver) << Do you really wanna be known as the guy who had to take the AFOQT 3 times??

--Keep your options open with the scholarship.. I'm not on one so I can't tell you much about it. I'm prior serv.. so I got a diff type of deal going on.. From what I hear, if you get a scholarship from ROTC and your job is hot (meaning the AF is in need of your specialty, Ex.. Electrical Engineers) be prepared to possibly give up your pilot slot for it.. << this is some reading I've done on the side, do not quote me on this...

--Mentally get ready for the transition. And by this I mean, don't quite because Active Duty is nothing like ROTC. ROTC just sets the bar for you. It weeds out the quitters and whiners.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll be cutting my hair short soon, I hope my girlfriend will like it. The general opinion i get is that I should just do what speaks to me as far as jobs around the DET go and talk to the cadre, but not kiss ass. I don't plan on taking any scholarship, at least until I've done ROTC enough to know that I can commit to it, and I'm gonna major in physics because it's one of my favorite classes in high school.

There's just one more question I can think of, and it was more or less answered in the beginning but I don't think it can be that simple for me maybe just because I'm nervous. From what I've read it seems that there are a lot of different evaluations in ROTC of things like leadership ability etc... How do you deal with the pressure of being constantly evaluated? I know that if it's something that I can't deal with I should probably find a dream other than military aviation but I was just wondering what's going through your head when you have different performance checks, and how you deal with the fear of messing up even if you know it's something you're good at. I've been through a checkride before on the civilian side of flying but I'd had a month to prepare for it and know exactly what to expect, and I have the feeling that ROTC might be a little more rushed.

Again thanks for all of your time, I really appreciate it.

Gannon

Dude...chill...seriously. You'll give yourself a stroke before your 200 year. Remember boy scouts? That is what ROTC is like. Do your best, work hard, stay out of trouble but most importantly HAVE A LIFE OUTSIDE OF ROTC. The rest will fall into place.

Guest Bender

I sing to myself all the way down the 3-engine ILS on my instrument check. The words go something like this:

"Don't fooking up up there Glide Slope...come here. Come here, good.

Don't fooking drift left, little right, little right, little left, good.

My leg is going to start shaking, call go around soon, soon, soon, good.

Flaps, climb, gear, speed, speed, breath....good."

Not really. I actually usually just let go of the control and admire, seeing how long it takes for the glide slope to track off.

Okay, I don't do that either. Ha.

To actually answer something here: As a pilot, you get offically evaluated once a year, with unscheduled checks in between whenever. Just do you thing...if it's good enough, it's good enough; If you're shit hot, don't expect to get your pecker sucked, but good for you. If it's NOT good enough, you'll get all the feedback required for you to work on what the problems are. Put the effort in to fix it and things will be fine.

From an ROTC perspective, you won't know when people are watching you and when they aren't. However, the first time you try and pick you nose in formation at FT...odds are, someones watching (that's just the way tht works. I would still pick it though.) ha.

You seem eager to get started on this, have a good frame of reference reading stuff here and a good attitude. You be fine. Relax.

BENDY

Guest Bender

Hey, ASU!

If you just douche that sand out of your ...you'll probably feel better! ;)

If they are incapable of passing the PFT, they aren't going to commission. That's a low bar, but it's something.

If they are incapable of passing the FACT, they aren't going to fly a fighter. That's also a low bar, but it's something.

Beyond that, it's motavation and metabolism.

To a certain extent, you are correct in your assessment. However, if you are going to be a pilot...You'll find much less to complain about in these respects regarding your co-workers. Although I have certainly had "some tubby friends," they are great pilots, great people and pass their PFTs.

I'll lend you $5 for you douche if need...I want you to be happy, ma'am.

BENDY

Guest Cap-10

Let me start with the easy one first:

Gannon: You are working yourself into a rich lather over nothing. Cut your hair, look professional, and relax. Participate in the activities that interest you. If you try to be the jack-of-all-trades, you will be the master of none (much like the F-16) and people will see that you are faking the interest.

ASUCadet: What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. (Billy Madison)

Since you stated you are on the HSSP (that's High School Scholarship Program for those that don't know), I'm basing my response on the fact that you are a cadet with no military experience (no prior enlisted).

Having said that, your only personal interaction with active duty military is most likely your cadre. In case you don't know, all of the branches of the military require to you have a 4 year military degree, and here is the kicker, THEY DON'T CARE WHAT YOU MAJOR IN. Could be your "super difficult" major, could be education, could be under-water BB stacking. You make it sound like the AF is going down the tubes because we are letting education majors onto active duty. In actuality, all branches of the service are doing it. I don't blame the services (they see a transcript and final grade). I would blame the teachers and colleges for letting these people pass will well below average ability.

"Typical, I can't feel bad for the AF going down the tubes to the USMC, USN, the Chinese, and whoever else wants a piece, because they can have it, and they will. The AF leveled the playing field for dumb-asses and fat-bodies alike and they can't figure out why everyone can beat us."

Until you get a TS/SCI clearance and start getting some current Intel briefs, you have no idea of our what ability we have against China. As for the fat bodies, with mother AF's need to get rid of 69,000 people, if you can't pass the PT test, you are normally 'chosen' to be force shaped.

"Maybe if we remembered that were supposed to be victorious in life-or-death war instead of a "feel-good" operation for non-hackers, then maybe we'd be on the right track."

I'm not sure what type of huggy/feely point of view your shoe clerk cadre is passing along to you and your fellow cadets, but NO ONE TRAINS TO FAIL. When I train my students, I know that they may be asked to fly during night one of the war, at 500', at night, with no lights on, and they may very well have a SAM, as large as a telephone phone, flying at Mach 3, shot at them. If you think I debrief them so they will "feel-good" at the end of the day, then you are smoking some serious drugs. If you suck, I will tell you. More on this later.

"Well, I hope that lesson comes before we lose the big battle and many of our best friends and allies are killed in the line of duty because I can't see many people who are fit to fight..."

Fit to fight. The AF is saving more American and Coalition lives right now in Iraq and Afghanistan than you can imagine. I've been boots on the ground in Afghanistan. You have not. Watch what you say about that which you do not know.

"...including the "pilot selects" (at least at our det) who act like they've already been handed fighter slots on a silver platter, even though the vast majority have never flown a plane in their life."

The amount of civilian flying time means the square root of f$ck all with regards to your ability as a military pilot. I've seen guys show up at UPT with zero civilian hours, get a T-38, get their first choice of fighter, and progress just fine. I've also seen a student show up, with a couple thousand civilian hours, mostly from her then job of flying corporate jets, that couldn't fly her way out of a wet paper bag with holes in it and was subsequently washed out of UPT.

"I pray the AF is vastly different everywhere else, but I really doubt it. And I really hope that someone "sets me straight" from this "sorely misinterpreted view" of the AF and translates it someway that I understand, because I can't see how the AF has much of a saving grace left."

Consider this your first no-bull de-brief. Are there people in the AF that currently have this point of view? Yes, we call them shoe clerks. But with anyone involved with the tip of the spear (turning people into hair, teeth and eyeballs) they are more than focused on the job at hand.

My honest opinion is that you, for whatever reason, have a pi$$ poor attitude toward the AF. If it doesn’t change, I recommend you cross commission. I'm sure the Army would love to have you.

Good luck.

Cap-10 :flag_waving:

Guest MizzouNav

Hey ASU, i don't think that is the kinda crap we should be feeding to motivated youngsters, do you?

Gannon:

You can take a scholarship without any committment for the first year. It only becomes a commitment the first LLab of your second year. If you don't like it, you can always quit the program and say "gee thanks" for the first years tuition if you get a scholarship.

Ignore ASU, he is a bitter sand-filled poon. There are a few instances of what he's talking about, but its the exception rather than the rule. Some dets are like that, some not. (my det recently went this direction, but my last LLab is next week so i don't give a flying f*ck)

Just try it out, see how you like it and remember, ROTC is not active duty. Might mirror AETC from what little i have seen, but not the real deal AF. ROTC is just some crap you have to go through to show you are motivated enough to be an officer in the best air force in the world. Just imagine the shoeclerkery in an air force like russia's, that would be soemthing to bitch about ASU.

Guest Bender

"under-water BB stacking"

Now THAT is more difficult than my major...anyone got one of these?!?!

Do you hafve 4 years to perfect this? How much money can you make from this?

I'm fascinated!!!

BENDY

Gannon

You compared being evaluated all the time in ROTC to your checkride. Look you are in ROTC to learn. Yes you will be evaluated at times but not everything you say and do gets recorded and put into one massive folder that is reviewed. You are evaluated on your physical fitness (PFA) grades (GPA) motivation (shown during events) and EVENTUALLY leadership ability. Your first year or two you are there to learn so don't stress yourself out. They aren't going to expect you to be Captain America on day one.

You want to know how to get ready for ROTC. Be ready to learn and don't be "that guy."

Edited by rotc_pilot

Guest MizzouNav
I am bitter that I didn't get selected for pilot because it's been all I've thought about and worked towards for as long as I can remember and when I look back at what I should've done differently, the biggest thing was to major in something that would've allowed me more time to devote to ROTC.

Don't worry about it. there are active duty boards and what not. Plus i just lost my nav slot to medical stuff, 3 weeks before i graduate. Just roll with it and you can start new on AD, kick ass and get the slot there. Thats what i plan on doing. you can't let that shit rule your life, take it as another opprotunity to reinvent yourself on AD.

We all have said bad stuff at one time or another. Don't drink and type!

MOST IMPORTANTLY, STAYED OUT OF ALL THE OTHER RUMOR/BACKSTABBING BS that happens in a semi-competitive environment. Finished in the top two.

Umm... so there's this guy at my det, and he's so weird... he's such an idiot. All he talks about is how good he is and how far he's come... But seriously, Leadeagle's advice is solid. Remember to have fun too!

Guest ASUcadet
Don't worry about it. there are active duty boards and what not. Plus i just lost my nav slot to medical stuff, 3 weeks before i graduate. Just roll with it and you can start new on AD, kick ass and get the slot there. Thats what i plan on doing. you can't let that shit rule your life, take it as another opprotunity to reinvent yourself on AD.

We all have said bad stuff at one time or another. Don't drink and type!

Haha, I know. What was it that Homer said "To alcohol; the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems."

Just a few quick things to always remember...

- School first, ROTC second.

- The "education" goes far beyond the academics. It is a once-in-the-lifetime experience to go to college. Use the time well.

- It all ends if you get bad grades, so unless you want to work at a grocery store for the rest of your life, find a good balance and maintain it.

- Chill. Ain't no one shooting at you, so don't stress it.

- Don't risk any unprotected sex. Sounds funny, but I've seen several dudes fall because they knocked some chick up. And it usually isn't 'Miss Right,' just 'Miss Right Now.' Paying alimony and child support down the road means you don't get to buy the Jeep you always wanted. Instead you'll end up with a Kia.

- Cut your hair and wear decent clothes to the interview. A suit may be too much, even a tie is a little over the top but you can probably get away with it. Just dress nicely (no shorts or jeans, and a collared shirt), shave and have fresh breath. Be friendly and yourself, and don't BS or asskiss. Let them judge you on you, not someone you are not.

- Finally, good luck, you can never have enough of it!

Cheers! M2

Guest MizzouNav
- It all ends if you get bad grades, so unless you want to work at a grocery store for the rest of your life, find a good balance and maintain it.

Big 2nd on that. We just had a guy 2 weeks from going AD get kicked out for grades! He was an asshat anyways, but still just a good example of what can happen if you don't study.