Fighter, nose wheel steering question

Guest F16crewdwgg

Guest F16crewdwgg

I was just curious, while turning left and right with a fighter jet do you use differential braking? Or is it done efficiently enough by pushing down on the left/right rudder pedal. I was just wondering because when I use the NWS on the cessnas, the NWS is garbage at taxing. I can barely turn 20 degrees and thats while pushing the pedal all the way to the floor. I have to use the brakes to turn.

Edited by F16crewdwgg

I'm sure it differs slightly from jet to jet. In the F-15E, depressing the rudder pedals without engaging the nosewheel steering will give you up to 30 degrees of turn - this is generally enough on wide turns. Depressing the nosewheel steering button extends that to 45 degrees, which will give the jet a pretty tight turn. Using differential braking is allowed, using it generally varies on pilot and situation. I generally only use it if I need to slow down while turn, not for the actual turn.

Guest Bender

Slowing down in a turn...that'd be nice. I think Herk drivers get castrated for braking in a turn. We do have reverse thrust though...so that evens it out pretty well.

The Tweet handled great with NWS. Unless you managed to push the button on take-off...then you ate dirt. A dude in my class showed us. :)

BENDY

F-16: The NWS button is an on/off toggle on the stick (and used for many other things)

NWS off: No NWS (duh), front wheel castors and you have differential braking. Not usually used.

NWS On: Rudders coupled to nose wheel, good steering as you can pretty much pivot on a main.

NWS+Differential braking: Bad idea, can roll the rubber (tire) off the nose gear and tends to chew things up ... so slow down, then turn.

Guest AFlyer55

T-38 (the almost-fighter): have to hold down the button to get nosewheel steering ... really frickin' annoying. Differential braking is an option, but not ever used (at Columbus at least) because it requires a lot of power. The only place we'd ever need diff braking is in the tight turns into parking, and power in those confines is a bad idea (jet wash going who knows where).

T-38 (the almost-fighter): have to hold down the button to get nosewheel steering ... really frickin' annoying. Differential braking is an option, but not ever used (at Columbus at least) because it requires a lot of power. The only place we'd ever need diff braking is in the tight turns into parking, and power in those confines is a bad idea (jet wash going who knows where).

"the almost-fighter" haha

that's cute

Guest F16crewdwgg

Awesome, thanks guys. Didn't think I would get that many different answers heh. Thats all interesting though.

I think Herk drivers get castrated for braking in a turn.

In the 17 I've used diff breaking, full tiller (gives you 63 degrees of NW travel) and differential power all at the same time. Throw in backing (star turn) and you can turn around in a RELATIVELY small area.

Edit: Sorry, I know it was a fighter question.

Most pilots I know in the T-38 (including me) just hold a rudder pedal down and give the NWS button a little "tappity-tappity" every so often. This seems to work fine given the slight delay in the NWS hydraulic actuator.

But yeah, I can't wait until I'm in a Viper instead and I can hang my arms on the canopy rails like a GANGSTA while taxiing. Heh.

Most pilots I know in the T-38 (including me) just hold a rudder pedal down and give the NWS button a little "tappity-tappity" every so often.

Maybe I'm retarded, but that never really worked for me. I always hold the button down, but damn it'll feel good to be a Gangsta w/ my arms on the Viper's canopy rails! (I guess I owe Fury royalties or something for that line)

In the Hog it's an on/off button on the stick. The same button is also used airborne to engage the autopilot and/or take an offset mark. The only thing the Hog does fast is taxi so you end up using the brakes a lot. You're not supposed to use differential braking in the turn. In fact, in the FTU I had 6xMk82's/2xMavs/2xRktPods/2XAim9's, and a full gun and I used the brakes while turning into arming - the nose wheel tire folded on itself and exploded. Whoops :bash: . That said, there are times when it's required to taxi around the HAS's overseas, and to get around some fighter ramps/parking spaces that weren't built with our 57' wing span in mind. .......you just have to be very careful.

In the Hog, has it always been on the stick? Or was that a change after the HOTAS upgrades?

Maybe I'm retarded, but that never really worked for me. I always hold the button down, but damn it'll feel good to be a Gangsta w/ my arms on the Viper's canopy rails! (I guess I owe Fury royalties or something for that line)

Well that's how I roll ... but you really have to get the bandana (blue ONLY) and hairnet showing under the hemmet for full effect.

YMMV

but you really have to get the bandana (blue ONLY) and hairnet showing under the hemmet for full effect.

Good advice, I'll make sure to pick that stuff up on my way out to Luke. I assume wearing a grill and taxing w/ my mask hanging is also a plus?

Good advice, I'll make sure to pick that stuff up on my way out to Luke. I assume wearing a grill and taxing w/ my mask hanging is also a plus?

That works well. Bonus points for tapping the brakes hard while you're moving fast...as it makes the nose bounce like you have those HYDRAULICS, yo!

That works well. Bonus points for tapping the brakes hard while you're moving fast...as it makes the nose bounce like you have those HYDRAULICS, yo!

I hear the Block 60s have 20 inch blades with spinners...Dubai knows hows to party.

Guest Voodoo1

you guys might want to see if you can get it cleared to put 5% tint on the canopy...then you're really ridin' dirty