Post Commissioning Employment

Guest RuffRider101

Guest RuffRider101

I'm a non-rated folk but my EAD isn't until 25 Oct and will not be reporting to ASBC until 3 Nov. Right now my military stipend and family helps me get through. However, starting June I will not have any income and will have to move out of campus housing. I know rent and bills are going to start stacking up (especially my LT loan in September). Does anyone know a decent paying job ($14/hour and up) I can get as a temporary fix until I go active duty? BTW, I live in Los Angeles and will have a BS in Aviation Administration. Thanks in advance!!!

Edited by RuffRider101

Guest MizzouNav

I don't know what they pay there, but here in Missouri if you can find a job at a beverage distributer they pay 12-14 and hour here, i am sure that equates to bettter money out there.

Or you could manage a fast food resturaunt, like most of your business buddies.

Guest echofox

Maybe UPS or USPS? I made $15-20/hr delivering pizzas and food in high school. That was at a nice resturaunt, so you may have to look around. Check at the local FBOs for jobs at dispatch or lineman. Probably won't be making $14 doing that, but it would be a cool job. Another way to make some money without having a job is to go to flea markets and garage sales and buy things you think will bring decent money on ebay. Pulled in a few hundred bucks a week over the summers in high school doing that.

I'm hitting up our school's career fair today to see what part-time jobs are available. These can be hit or miss, but worth a shot. Know who will be there, tailor a resume to their company, chat it up a bit, and you will probably be called in for an interview. If you don't want to go through the hassle, just hit up your local FBO and explain your situation....I'm sure they can find something for you to do.

Guest 055-NOS

I've been trying all of the defense/aviation companies located around LAAFB in El Segundo - check em out, there are a ton of summer internships up for grabs right now.

Guest ASUcadet

Just talk to your friends who have jobs because they can give you all the inside info (is the job easy, does it suck, do you make good tips, is the management retarded, etc). If it's a good job, find out when they're hiring and get your friend to vouch for you. If you talk to a bunch of your friends then it won't take very long to land a good job, you'll get to work with a friend, and you'll know which managers to avoid, who the tools are, etc without having to learn it the hard way.

Agreed. A summer internship is probably your best option. If you get hired you can always see if you can extend it through the end of September.

If he were planning for the summer of 09 maybe. All the recruiters will filling internship slots from November thru February for the summer. You aren't going to go out on April 21st and find a good internship.

Guest Cypher220

If any of you are still looking for jobs and would like something more on the adventurous side, Kitty Hawk Kites in the Outer Banks is hiring hang gliding instructors (to teach beginning lessons on the sand dunes). No prior experience is needed and it's not too late to apply if you are interested. Here's their website for more info:

http://www.kittyhawk.com/info/hremployment.cfm

I did this last summer and had a blast! You get to live on the beach and there's almost always a party going on with the other instructors every night.

Send me a PM if you are interested and want more details. When I left there at the end of last summer and from what I've heard now, they are hurting for instructors since most of the guys that had been there for a while aren't coming back this summer.

If he were planning for the summer of 09 maybe. All the recruiters will filling internship slots from November thru February for the summer. You aren't going to go out on April 21st and find a good internship.

You'd be surprised. There are several defense contractors who have still intern openings for June '08. Most were opened after several contracts were recently awarded. The ones I know about are looking for comp sci or EE but there are a few ME and Aero positions too. Location dependent of course.

IMHO I'd rather make use of that crisp 8.5 x 11" piece of paper I just earned rather than flipping burgers. But that's just me.

Guest Cap-10

I went to the Intl Airport (Boston Logan) and got a job with the FBO (Signature Flight Support) fueling airplanes, everything from C-152's and learjets, to Fed-EX MD-11 and British Airway 777. Seemed that the fact I had basic math skills and could do the conversion from lbs to kilo (most of the international birds fuel panel were in kilo's, while the US carriers were in lbs.) was a marketable skill in the re-fueling world. Also got to meet Aerosmith, and I drove Motley Crue out to their Lear-35. Oh yeah, did I mention Metallica too!

If you are not aware, this very problem caused an airliner crash in the early 80's when the crew thought they had 22,600 kilo's of fuel, when they really had 22,600 lbs. (difference of just over 27K of fuel). Imagine the crews suprise when they ran out of gas half way to their destination. (Note: Happy ending. They glided to an abandoned military base and made a successful landing. Everyone lived.)

For me, I knew I was only going to be working approx 6 months, so I picked something I knew I could start right after graduation, didn't have a lot of spin up time, and quite frankly, was interesting to me. I am fascinated with all that is airplane, and this was a chance to gain some experience in the industry, something that didn't actually involve stick/rudder skills.

Cap-10 :flag_waving:

I just got hired today to be a manager for a pool. Since its seasonal they dont care that I'm leaving until November. Pay isnt super $9 an hr, but its really easy and I get to be outside all summer. Maybe check something like that out.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest keystone215

Bartend or be a waiter at a restaurant that has $15-$20 entrees, you'll make 2 grand a month but the IRS will only see 8-9 hundred bucks.

EAD is not the time to try to start the "by-the-book" carreer, enjoy life and relax. Anyone will attest, restaurant workers party harder than any other 'profession'

the bottom line, it's your last chane to do that "fun summer job" Kitty Hawk kites would be ideal, so would lifeguarding. If you're wearing a tie to work on EAD, then you're missing the point, you're probably only 22 so trying to act like a grown up is lame.

• 1 year later...
Guest DavisF22

FBO would be a great job..If you have a municipal close you may get a few flight perks also.(So I hear)

Edited by DavisF22

With the latest rumor today being that 800 FY10 ROTC Commissionees are going to be delayed until FY11, anyone have any fresh advice or leads on good jobs for those with an extended wait to EAD?

This is why I am telling people that have their dates that they don't "really" have their dates...especially if they are going to UPT. But then again I'm a cynic

This is why I am telling people that have their dates that they don't "really" have their dates...especially if they are going to UPT. But then again I'm a cynic

So..how do I not have my dates?

Grad May 8

EAD May 13

ASBC RNLT May 20, class start May 24

ASBC grad July 1

RNLT July 2, Columbus AFB