C-17 Globemaster Q&A

scoobs

Coming up on assignment night, anyone mind posting an update to C-17 ops tempo and family life? Greatly appreciated.

Oh...my first post. :P

You'll be gone a lot.

Coming up on assignment night, anyone mind posting an update to C-17 ops tempo and family life?

As previously mentioned it's getting busier again. The efficiencies we gaind through 2 EAS that were supposed to go towards improved family life/training are now being used by TACC to move more pallets of bubble wrap and 52" plasma TVs. It's a good time to be coming in if you want to stay single and build hours.

• 1 year later...
Guest Winning

Since when did flyers (read non-fighter types) start having to use the STS? It's about as gay as the day is long, and last I remembered from my previous airframe, was reserved for Weapons weenies who couldn't help but laugh every time someone said "69", or "put out."

what's the harm in it? it's good fun imo and the fighter culture is A+ in my book. beats having no culture.

• Downvote 10

what's the harm in it? it's good fun imo and the fighter culture is A+ in my book. beats having no culture.

Seriously.....a 3 year old post and you bring it back.....wow...trolling the boards and nothing else to do? Go read that Dash 1 about 15 more times, and quit wasting space here.

• 2 weeks later...

wondering if any Travis guys out there could update on what life is like. Are Travis guys gone as much as/more/less than other bases? (other than, PACAF... I already know that's the place to be...)

Guest Winning

Seriously.....a 3 year old post and you bring it back.....wow...trolling the boards and nothing else to do? Go read that Dash 1 about 15 more times, and quit wasting space here.

easy big boy i didn't see you posted that 3 years ago i just saw the thread pop up after it had been revived.

jesus. didn't know herbivores got so sensitive about the STS lighten up

• Downvote 4

easy big boy i didn't see you posted that 3 years ago i just saw the thread pop up after it had been revived.

jesus. didn't know herbivores got so sensitive about the STS lighten up

Says the SP that will fly a fighter in 6-9 months...

Edit to read Student Pilot

Edited by itsokimapilot

Oh you silly student pilots.

Avoid the RPA...if you can.

Gee thanks for your help... didn't realize "silly students" couldn't ask questions... some people have worked hard and deserve better than "avoid the RPA...if you can"

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Gee thanks for your help... didn't realize "silly students" couldn't ask questions... some people have worked hard and deserve better than "avoid the RPA...if you can"

OTOH, some people have worked hard and also aren't pussies...lighten up, francis.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guest Crew Report

Oh you silly student pilots.

Avoid the RPA...if you can.

Yeah, just wait to upgrade to C-17 IP before getting RPA's.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

deserve better

Clue: there's your problem.

WTF with all the butt hurt posts? Practice whatever traditions you want, and don't be offended when other people think it's stupid.

I haven't had my mandatory DADT training yet (no shit, it's an hour long and has to be accomplished by the end of May), but can we still say "butt hurt"?

I haven't had my mandatory DADT training yet (no shit, it's an hour long and has to be accomplished by the end of May), but can we still say "butt hurt"?

Absolutely, and now it is even more kosher than ever. Sodomy is no longer illegal under the UCMJ (if both parties consent). In other words, being butt hurt is now completely legit, you can probably even go see the flight doc for it.

As a side note, right before my DADT training, our first shirt said "take it as you will" referring to the training. I laughed for about the first ten minutes of commanders call.

Edited by Gravedigger

Sodomy is no longer illegal under the UCMJ (if both parties consent).

Which has nothing to do with DADT training. It is based on recent SCOTUS rulings and a ruling by the US Military Court of Appeals.

(no shit, it's an hour long and has to be accomplished by the end of May)

Champ, couldn't take that long. I read on here somewhere that it would take less than 10 minutes and be a couple of PowerPoint slides, at the most.

Take the ADLS version if you can and you can drag the slider to the end of the play bar for each slide, cutting out all the reading out loud and reducing it to 6-9 minutes.

Just curious if other folks have been told the same thing. Recently spoke to an AMC-staff bubba (C-17 IP) coming up on assignment. Since he has already met his gates he was told that he is he most likely will not be going back to a flying-gig... He was told to start looking at another non-flying job, that the C-17 community is overmanned right now. Anyone else hearing that? (obviously a lot will change this year, but I was pretty surprised)

Guest superD

Just curious if other folks have been told the same thing. Recently spoke to an AMC-staff bubba (C-17 IP) coming up on assignment. Since he has already met his gates he was told that he is he most likely will not be going back to a flying-gig... He was told to start looking at another non-flying job, that the C-17 community is overmanned right now. Anyone else hearing that? (obviously a lot will change this year, but I was pretty surprised)

While I'm not exactly in a position to speak to the staff stuff, I have heard that the C-17 community is "overmanned." AFPC is apparently scaling back personnel allocations (loads and pilots alike), probably part of cost savings measures that are forcing the AF's hand. With the 3 EAS idea on the table and the VSP (the list is apparently out, haven't heard much about it) we need to keep as many butts in seats as we can.

We recently sent a couple guys to Scott, I'll see what they have to say.

The community is kept overmanned for a reason. The C-17 community is one of a few kept overmanned on purpose - as the shock absorber for Predators and UPT assignments... No shit - straight from the assignment manager's mouth.

But as a guy going to his 3rd flying assignment and rapidly approaching my gate month quota in the next 1.5 years, thats a valid concern as well.

Chuck