Help understanding Dos Gringos

Bishop

Originally posted by NapesWVU:

LPA? Tried google, got Little Peoples Association... somehow I don't think that's it.

LPA stands for "Lieutenant's Protection Association." If you are a Lieutenant in a squadron, you are part of the LPA. The LTs band together to keep from getting f&cked over by everybody else. It's sort of like joining a gang when you are in prison to keep from becoming somebody's girlfriend.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rumblefish_2

kinda means...OK, shut up, I got it.

JUDY - "Aircrew has radar/visual contact on the correct target, has taken control of the intercept and only requires situation awareness information; weapons director (WD) will minimize radio transmissions."

Judy means you want GCI to shut up. It's a term that all fighters are familiar with and very few AWACS controllers know.

Seriously, the AWACS guys are always anxious to give you information, but there comes a point when the information they are feeding you is no longer useful and your interflight targeting and shot comm is being jammed by them.

A couple months ago that I had a fairly simply 2v2 with GCI. Once we're targeted, we don't need GCI anymore, but they kept talking - I called "Judy".

They kept on with diarreah of the mouth and my wingman was unable to transmit that he had just taken a Fox. When he was able to get a word in edgewise, it was "Fox III southern, AWACS - JUDY!"

They kept on talking and finally I had to go with the super secret brevity term "AWACS - STOP TALKING!"

That did the trick.

AWACS...HAHAHA those friggin guys. Just got back from ME phase at Weapons School and we have the same problems with them. Their wanna be EWO's get diarreah of the mouth and never shut up. All you here is "BREAK BREAK" so we can get important info out.

Cooter

"I was flying out of Nellis doing dark grey WIC support" -Going In For Guns

What is WIC? (all I'm coming up with on the google is that Woman Infant Children Crap)

Anyone still havent recieved theres yet?? Im still waiting :( , Hopefully soon though, Im gonna sue USPS for taking so damn long, bastards

[ 03. January 2006, 19:16: Message edited by: Bishop ]

"Weapons Instructor Course"

It used to be called "Fighter Weapons School" and "Fighter Weapons Instructor Course"." They took the work "Fighter" out of it when they started developing courses for AWACS controllers and intelligence officers. Traditionally, the Fighter Weapons School is the Air Force equivilent of the Navy's "Top Gun" School.

"Dark Grays" are F-15Es...not to be confused with "light Grays" or "C" model F-15s. Units often deploy to Nellis to support the WIC courses. You might be there to dogfight against the guys going through, or provide additional fighter support for CAS or Tactical scenarios.

Weapons School is the highest upgrade you can go through in your specific type of aircraft. When you graduate, you are your unit's chief instructor pilot until the next guy goes through. I'd estimate that about 10-15% of fighter guys are selected for Weapons School during their careers.

"I was on my ACT upgrade standard 4 v X"

This is probbably gonna be another obivous one, but what is an ACT upgrade? I would think it is Aircraft upgrade, is 4vx anything in particular?

"We had to step in 5 for our one DACT"

DACT?

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by Bishop:

"I was on my ACT upgrade standard 4 v X"

This is probbably gonna be another obivous one, but what is an ACT upgrade? I would think it is Aircraft upgrade, is 4vx anything in particular?

He's talking about an air-to-air sortie, likely in a 4-ship flight lead, mission commander, or instructor upgrade program.

ACT means Air Combat Tactics, and implies a 2-or-more versus 2-or-more scenario. In this case, a 4vX means that there are 4 blue fighters going against an unknown number of adversaries.

• 3 months later...

"S.O.S. is coming for you"

Been listening to the cd for since mid feb. Was listening to S.O.S. yesterday and realized theres a part of the song i dont understand what hes saying.

"scream about it all you want, you'll only waste your breath" afterwards I cant tell what hes saying, anyone? Its been driving me crazy since I realized I have no idea what hes saying

In regards to the LPA, is this a flying squadron thing only or widespread

Thanks for shedding light on this

"Between this, and 'Death by Bunga Bunga', you'll choose Death"

It's a reference to this old joke:

Three guys wind up on an inland in the tropics that is inhabited with a headhunter tribe. The leader comes up and says to the first guy,

"You have desecrated our island, but since you were washed up here, I'll give you a choice. Death or Bungy bungy."

The guy thinks to himself, 'I don't want to die', so he replies "Bungy bungy."

The leader raises his hands over his head and yells "He chooses Bungy bungy!" The all the headhunters line up and they each take their turn f*cking him in the a$$.

The leader says to the second guy, "Death or Bungy bungy?" the guy knowing what Bungy bungy is, still says "Bungy bungy"

The leader raises his hands over his head and yells "He chooses Bungy bungy!" and they take the guy and ritualistically pop him in the can one by one, too.

The leader asks the last guy "Death or Bungy bungy?" and this guy, seeing what happened to his buddies and cherishing the sanctity of his spinchter, says "I chose death."

The leader says, "Death? You chose death?"

The survivor says, "Yeah."

The leader says "So be it then: Death........................ by Bungy bungy"

• 2 years later...
Thread Revival (Since Dos Gringos is coming back for more).....

What do they mean in 2's blind when they say "We got spiked and lead went to the notch"

Thanks!

that's not a discussion for this forum. Go ask your intel folks.

that's not a discussion for this forum. Go ask your intel folks.

Because all intel folks would know what that term means.

Thread Revival (Since Dos Gringos is coming back for more).....

What do they mean in 2's blind when they say "We got spiked and lead went to the notch"

Thanks!

Found on Al Gore's Internet!

Pulse-Doppler radar is based on the fact that targets moving with a nonzero radial velocity will introduce a frequency shift between the transmitter master oscillator and the carrier component in the returned echoes. This is because the signal is subject to Doppler shift, so echoes from closing targets will show an apparent increase in frequency and echoes from opening targets will show an apparent decrease in frequency. Target velocity can be estimated by determining the average frequency shift of carrier cycles within a pulse packet. This is typically done by means of a 1D fast Fourier transform or using the autocorrelation technique. The transform is performed independently for each sample volume, using data received at the same range from all pulses within a packet or group of pulses. In older systems, a bank of analogue filters were used.

Velocity measurements are of course limited to measuring the component of the target velocity that is parallel to the beam (radial), since tangential movement will not affect the received signals. A target is either closing or opening, or it will fall into the clutter notch (a velocity range reserved for non-displayed clutter). Velocity information from a single radar will therefore result in underestimates of target velocity. Complete velocity profiles can only be derived by combining measurements from several radars, situated at different locations.

The radial velocity of the target can easily be calculated based on knowledge of the radar frequency, speed of light, pulse repetition frequency and average phase (frequency) shift.

jsoetk.jpg

Google it man, it's on the internet

Yup.

Scanner Glossary; This glossary of code words and phrases used in radio transmissions around Area 51 may be useful if you monitor the airwaves.

spike - Aircraft has a RWR signal indication; opposite to NAKED: "Snake one threat BRA 240 for 48, 7000" "Snake two spike" (Snake one tells his wingman of threat and BRA and wingman (two) acknowledges indication of the threat on the RWR)

notching - Flying through a gap (notch) in a mountain range

Thanks! I tried some googling prior to posting, I guess I wasn't using the right terms.... I think I tried "fighter terminology", which gave me a bunch of street fighter stuff, and then a few other random ideas. Thanks for the scanner glossary link. Tons of stuff in there. What's funny is that I had been to that website and didn't even check out the scanner glossary. You rock Toro. :beer: And to HossHarris, I will grab my favorite, some :jd: , and go enjoy.