Help understanding Dos Gringos

Bishop

Hey, I got my CD a few days ago, and have listened to it nonstop, I know they explain some of the terms in their insert( I knew most anyway). But I was curious of a few things.

Dropped the bomb that killed Sadam "We were screaming on that radio for KMART to let us go"

Whats KMART?

"Im a pilot"And the ECM pod that one’s my favorite joke

I know ECM is the Electronic countermeasures Pod (at least I Think) I dont understand what the joke is about forgeting to turn it on

JDAM Blues, I dont understand whats bad about dropping JDAM's

And also I dont understand the Fox 1, 2 and 3, I suspect is like.. do over or something, I dont know. I am sure I have lost a bit of credibility making this post.. but It has me curious.. Thanks... I uhh mean.. I wanted to ask for the newbies... yeah ;)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lightning4eva

there are people way more qualified than I to answer this.

But the part I am sure about is

FOX-1: AIM-7 Sparrow = Needs the radar of the firing a/c to guide it to the target. Last resort weapon. You are probably are out of AMRAAM's or don't have them. Good range but leaves your a/c open to attack from enemy a/c

FOX-2: AIM-9 Sidewinder = "Heater in your chest" Heat seaking missile. Used to have to fire from directly from behind but the newer AIM-9X is all-aspect missile. Short Range

FOX-3: AIM-120 AMRAAM (Advanced Medium Range Air to Air Missile) Fire and Forget, good range. The "only friend u'll ever need"...

Someone wanna take it from here???

Originally posted by Bishop:

Whats KMART?

KMART is/was the callsign of the JTF-SWA command post (2 star in charge) in Saudi Arabia during Operation Southern Watch. I'm sure the pointy-nosed guys on here will correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC they typically would have to call KMART to get autorization to employ weapons.

Well, I knew somewhat what ECM was, but the line is "And the ECM pod that one’s my favorite joke"

I dont understand why its his favorite joke, like what trouble does it cause the mechanic working on the plane if he forgets to turn it on?

Thanks for the stuff so far guys

Well, I knew somewhat what ECM was, but the line is "And the ECM pod that one’s my favorite joke"

I dont understand why its his favorite joke, like what trouble does it cause the mechanic working on the plane if he forgets to turn it on?

Thanks for the stuff so far guys

the joke is that MX has to troubleshoot the pod looking for a fault, when the pilot never turned it on to start with....there is nothing worng with the pod,, but he is making the mx guy rip his knuckles to shreds trying to fix it...

Dropping JDAM sucks because it doesn't take any skill. Plug numbers in, drive to the box, and pickle. As opposed to the fine art of level/laydown, dive, loft/toss, and dive toss deliveries. These methods took skill and a lot of practice.

[ 19. April 2005, 17:38: Message edited by: Clearedhot ]

Originally posted by Bergman:

KMART is/was the callsign of the JTF-SWA command post (2 star in charge) in Saudi Arabia during Operation Southern Watch. I'm sure the pointy-nosed guys on here will correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC they typically would have to call KMART to get autorization to employ weapons.

In OIF in '03, at least, KMART was the CAOC and JEREMIAH was the actual MFWIC.

Nah. I still have 7 hours and 32 minutes till my alert is over and I can start drinking again.

Of course that will put me at 0600 local, but it'll be noon somewhere, right?

I'll keep checking back periodically as I wait for Bergman to bite (sts).

[ 19. April 2005, 21:30: Message edited by: PAB ]

Originally posted by PAB:

Nah. I still have 7 hours and 32 minutes till my alert is over and I can start drinking again.

You are lucky GI, I have six more days until I can have a cold barley soup. I might mention in passing Strep throat sucks, not just for the sickness factor, but when taking antibiotics, you can't drink for ten days.

True statement, Hacker.

F***ing non-desert-deploying RC-135U guys thinking they were "in the shit"

Yeah, you heard me Major cool avatar moderator boy!

(You said correct you if you were wrong )

Don't hate me because I had a choice on track select night (the first one at least)! You really are a PAB!

I feel better. I did mention that KMART was for the JTF-SWA command post (CAOC) that had a 2 star in charge. I never claimed the 2 star's callsign was KMART. Although, I admit I'm just quibbling at this point. I'm really just a REMF who spent most of my time at EGUN and RODN.

[ 19. April 2005, 22:03: Message edited by: Bergman ]

Hey, I had a choice on track select night. Keep drinking at the club while most of my buds took off for Pensacola to go fly fighters (or RC-135's, which is like a fighter, only better)because I sucked at Capt. Zavacki's Tweet Low Level Hell and barely made it out of Airmanship phase, or keep drinking downtown and say "I sure hope I see Huch and Bergman and my nav school buds again someday!" so much that you all end up back at Offutt with me a year later.

Boy, was I glad to see you guys again!

...because I sucked at Capt. Zavacki's Tweet Low Level Hell and barely made it out of Airmanship phase

Ha ha! I ended up flying my checkride with him the same day he found out he was passed over for Major. Talk about a bad omen!

The funny thing was talking with CG at the club when we first got there bantering on and on about wanting F-15Es or B-1s and hearing him say "Nah...you're all going to end up in RC-135s with me" Yeah, right! Glad I didn't bet him on that one...

Guest Rainman A-10

I heard a guy call the JDAM "The Lt Col Weapon" during OIF. We had a couple LGPOS divert in and this guy was laughing about how the JDAM is perfect for an old Lt Col Guard guy like him. "The guys in the MPC do all the work mission planning and all I have to do is fly straight and level at 30K, hit the hammer, wait for the clunk and RTB."

No thanks.

My favorite tune on that CD is "Two's Blind". I laugh my ass off everytime I listen to that one.

• 7 months later...

New CD a few terms I dont know

BBR (bit@h spent all my money, going in for guns)

Dex "The AWACS guy was out to lunch and I couldnt get a DEX"

Is "Sammy Small" reference to anything ?

Still haven't got my CD yet so might have more in a few days(hopefully it will have one of those inserts again), thanks for the help

"Dex" is actually Dec as in declaration. It just means that AWACS wasn't telling them that the jets out there on his radar screen were hostile. We need to know that the contact is hostile before we shoot it. Otherwise we need to merge with it and ID it as a Mig or other hostile a/c and then shoot.

New CD a few terms I dont know

Dex "The AWACS guy was out to lunch and I couldnt get a DEX"

Declaration - of hostile aircraft - that would allow him to fire. "Guns" probably won't make any sense to your average UPT guy.

Is "Sammy Small" reference to anything?
It's their version of one of the most popular fighter pilot songs. I'm not a big fan of their version.