F-16 Down at Luke

HossHarris

F-16 Crashed this afternoon at Luke. I don't have a link handy, nor should I really throw any details up here ... so check the internets for details.

Let's keep the speculations and details to 0 for now.

That area was part of an aerial survey job I did two years ago...very rugged and isolated. We based out of KDVT, but flew the missions for that area out of Wickenburg. I have photos of '16s flying around us as we flew our survey lines...it was pretty damn cool.

This really hit home as my bro is at Luke...but not in the same squadron as the accident pilot/aircraft. I can honestly say that for the first time I was worried for my kid bro...this stuff isn't forgiving. And yet here I am wanting nothing more than to be doing the same thing a year from now.

update

The search continues for the pilot of a F-16C fighter jet from Luke Air Force Base that crashed Fridaysouth of Alamo Lake.

Crews discovered the wreckage around 10:30 p.m. in a remote area of western Arizona. A "G-suit" and parachute was uncovered, but no pilot, said Mary Jo May, a Luke spokeswoman.

The parachute and some of the pilot's gear were found about 150 feet from the impact crater, May said. However, an instructor pilot flying near the crashed jet didn't see an open parachute when it went down.

The site east of Parker in the Buckskin Mountains is reachable only by helicopter.

"All levels are still out there doing an intensive search," May added.

The pilot, whose name is yet to be released, was on an air-to-air student training mission when the crash occurred around noon. There were no weapons on board.

A board of officers has been convened to investigate the accident.

Yeah I had heard no "ELT" was activated after the crash...slim hopes...condolences go out to his family. It's been a bad friday...my classmate here was roommates with the stud killed in the T-34 crash in AL friday. It was the last flight before that guy got his wings....

A toast to the three lost this friday....may three glasses be broken in their honor.

I don't normally reply to these posts because there isn't usually much I can add. In this case, there is.

I had the pleasure of handing Dave his first set of gold bars. I was his Faculty Advisor for AMS Class O-2006-4.

I only worked with him for 6 weeks, but I remember him being smart, dedicated to serving his country, and willing to help others succeed. He did well at AMS, and I genuinely enjoyed commissioning him. He was definitely "one of the good guys".

Sadly, I must also report that this might be the first regular baseops.net user to pass. Dave was registered here as

VIPER_STUD. His last login was at 0954 on Thursday, 14 March 2008.

:salut:

Edited by Bergman

I don't normally reply to these posts because there isn't usually much I can add. In this case, there is.

I had the pleasure of handing Dave his first set of gold bars. I was his Faculty Advisor for AMS Class O-2006-4.

I only worked with him for 6 weeks, but I remember him being smart, dedicated to serving his country, and willing to help others succeed. He did well at AMS, and I genuinely enjoyed commissioning him. He was definitely "one of the good guys".

Sadly, I must also report that this might be the first regular baseops.net user to pass. Dave was registered here as

VIPER_STUD. His last login was at 0954 on Thursday, 14 March 2008.

:salut:

:salut::flag_waving:

Guest Future C130 Nav

I can't believe this happened to him. I went through AMS with him. Pray for his family guys.