2 sets of designators?

Guest Unconfirmed Source

Guest regularjoe

Can someone explain to me why this F-15 is carrying both a LANTRIN and SNIPER pods?

I thought the Sniper pod was replacing the Lantrin so why carry both?

post-4065-1205181262_thumb.jpgpost-4065-1205181272_thumb.jpg

Isn't LANTRIN an integral part of the airframe and therefore expected to be onboard for weights and balances purposes regardless of whether its used?

SNIPER is only a targeting pod, which replaces the LANTIRN targeting pod that formerly went under the left intake. The LANTIRN Navigation pod on the right side stays -- the NAV FLIR and TF radar systems are in that right side pod.

Can someone explain to me why this F-15 is carrying both a LANTRIN and SNIPER pods?

I thought the Sniper pod was replacing the Lantrin so why carry both?

There's no SNIPER pod on either of those jets.

SNIPER looks like:

210px-LMT_Sniper_XR.jpg

And it's not so much weight and balance as it is SEEK EAGLE.

Edited by F-15E WSO

Guest regularjoe
There's no SNIPER pod on either of those jets.

SNIPER looks like:

210px-LMT_Sniper_XR.jpg

And it's not so much weight and balance as it is SEEK EAGLE.

What is the other pod then ? ATFLIR ?

Wouldn't a SEEK EAGLE Project be on a 422nd bird?

What is the other pod then ? ATFLIR ?

Wouldn't a SEEK EAGLE Project be on a 422nd bird?

LANTIRN Targeting pod or a LITENING pod -- Pretty much look the same.

I'm not implying that there was a SEEK EAGLE project associated with the pictures or the discussion, but removing the LANTIRN Navigation pod would force a fair bit of SEEK EAGLE work to get flight clearances for many configurations. SEEK EAGLE is generally done in Florida, not by the 422.

I'm not implying that there was a SEEK EAGLE project associated with the pictures or the discussion, but removing the LANTIRN Navigation pod would force a fair bit of SEEK EAGLE work to get flight clearances for many configurations. SEEK EAGLE is generally done in Florida, not by the 422.

I don't think there's any weirdness to flying without the NAV pod and anything else or nothing else on the other side that requires AFSEO testing/permissions at this stage of the game. I've flown the jet with all types of configs with and without targeting pots (all three...LANTIRN, LITENING, and SNIPER) and with and without NAV pods.

Dude, think. The F-15(A/BC/D) airframe has flown for 30+ years and has never had any pod on it. How can the pods be an "integral part of the airframe" when no such technology even existed when the jet was first produced? Also reconsider the weight and balance question - think about how much weight and balance changes when these guys start dropping bombs or even burn a lot of fuel.

Not wanting to sound like a pedant (or a dick), but a small handful of B and D model Eagles have carried target pods. Also, when the Eagle was produced the 1st generation of target pods were already well developed.

This doesn't change the validity of your post, however, and is just a minor correction.

Guest regularjoe
How can the pods be an "integral part of the airframe"

I think what he was getting at and I'm sure one of the E model drivers will chime in here is that the LANTRIN system is affixed to the aircraft in a way that it does not take away one of the hardpoint stations unlike an external hung store.

Guest regularjoe

Hoss,

I had to read your response twice before I realized we both said the same thing. My post was not directed at you but rather that I thought Pogo's understanding was as you stated.

I like your trunk monkey comment though - I can just see an F-15E sitting at an airshow and some kid points at the drop tank and says "is that a bomb" and the WSO says "nope" and pushes a little red button that deploys the money with a crowbar.

I like your trunk monkey comment though - I can just see an F-15E sitting at an airshow and some kid points at the drop tank and says "is that a bomb" and the WSO says "nope" and pushes a little red button that deploys the money with a crowbar.

<Insert WSO joke clarification here>

Guest regularjoe
<Insert WSO joke clarification here>

Chevrolet has a couple sets of commercials where the guy is driving the car and some guy tries to carjack them and the driver hits a "Trunk Monkey" button on the dash and a monkey comes out of the trunk with a tire iron and beats the crap out of the carjacker.

In another commerical I think it was someone either doing something stupid or annoying the driver and he hits the button and same thing monkey chases person off while weilding a tire iron.

Guest Jimmy
Chevrolet has a couple sets of commercials where the guy is driving the car and some guy tries to carjack them and the driver hits a "Trunk Monkey" button on the dash and a monkey comes out of the trunk with a tire iron and beats the crap out of the carjacker.

In another commerical I think it was someone either doing something stupid or annoying the driver and he hits the button and same thing monkey chases person off while weilding a tire iron.

That flew way over your head...

Haha, or maybe the trunk monkey in an F-15E looks strikingly similar to a WSO...food for thought.

Guest regularjoe
That flew way over your head...

What happens when I read faster than I type... I got it now.

But to be honest, I actually have a lot of respect for those guys.

I can't speak for any other airframe, but the E-model WSOs I've run across are SHARP and very talented at putting Warheads on Foreheads.

Yeah, the Trunk Monkey comment was an un-original jab at WSO's. But to be honest, I actually have a lot of respect for those guys. The WSO works the pod, radar, copies down 9-lines, programs JDAM's, and even talks on the radio's. I've had many recent conversations with -15E pilot's that left me asking them (in my best Office Space impression) "....so.....what would you say...you do here?"

And now, a reading from the Dash-1. "Chapter 4 - Crew Duties: Not Applicable." Just say it. Isn't it like music to your ears?

They also do A/R occasionally.

Guest Cap-10

If you've never flown with a WSO, then you don't know what they do or don't do. The nose gunner normally runs the radar and the WSO will take it for 6-9 seconds to take an A/G map. If you think that I as a pilot just fly around and don't copy down 9-lines or don't know how to program a JDAM, then you are smoking crack.

Just like wingman, I've flown with WSO's that are worthy of the callsign "Shaved Dogs Ass" (ref Dos Gringos song) and other who are an internal chaff bundle. I'm sure everyone has flown with a wingman or co-pilot.

When it comes (STS) time for that low altitude GBU-15 attack at night in the terrain of nK, I'll be glad I'm flying with a trunk monkey.

As for A/R, unless something has changed since I left, I'm fairly sure WSO's are not supposed to be flying while re-fueling.

Cap-10 :flag_waving:

As for A/R, unless something has changed since I left, I'm fairly sure WSO's are not supposed to be flying while re-fueling.

Who said it was something they were supposed to be doing?