Guam is bad luck

Guest MizzouCE

Guest MizzouNav

Here is the story:

B-1 rolls into vehicles after landing

The Associated Press

Posted : Sunday Mar 9, 2008 8:24:56 EDT

RAPID CITY, S.D. — The Air Force says a B-1B bomber from Ellsworth Air Force Base collided with two emergency-response vehicles Friday after landing at Andersen Air Force Base in Guam.

The bomber declared an in-flight emergency shortly after leaving the base and then landed, Ellsworth said in a release. After coming to a stop on the taxiway, the craft started to roll on its wheels and collided with the vehicles, according to Air Force officials.

Details on how the accident occurred were not provided.

No one was injured. The crew had left the bomber before the collision.

The bomber was returning to Ellsworth after taking part in the Singapore Air Show Feb. 19-24. Ellsworth crews flew the B-1 on a “nonstop 21-hour mission” to get the plane there, according to a story on the Air Force Web site.

Now i'm, no pilot but is there a parking brake on that thing? Seems lke guam is bad for our bomber lately.

Sounds like crew fatigue and dealing with the IFE got the best of the crew. MizzouNav, in the C-130 we typically set the parking brake during ground egress, or at a minimum chock the nose gear (in the event of hot brakes) to prevent something like this from happening. However, depending on the emergency, if it's between setting a parking brake and egressing before you burn, choose the latter. As a Nav, don't forget SCNS...

Edited by StrokerAce

This does make me wonder what is going on in the B-1 community. Even in the lowly -135, we brief emergency egress procedures every single flight. That brief always includes the phrase, "I'll throw down the chocks, chock the nose wheel..." and the pilot brief always includes, "I'll set the parking brake, cut off the motors, turn the battery off...blah blah". Now we know why. In fact, it's Step 1 on our "Engine shutdown checklist". Go figure.

One other question...the article lead me to believe they had flown from Ellsworth to Guam, and that it took a "non-stop 21 hour flight". Did I miss something there? We used to make the KOFF to RODN run in an RC in ~18 hours. What sort of airspeeds does the BONE fly during cruise?

No excuses for not getting the chocks, but the B-1B is notorious for hot brakes. The WSOs watch the brake temps on the central integrated test system (CITS), and if it exceeds 600 degrees, you don't set the parking brake...it's a recipe for brake fires.

Sucks to hear of another mishap. I'm sure those guys had fun giving up copius amounts of blood and urine.

In the mighty KC-10, setting the parking brake is in our ground evacuation checklist...even with suspected hot brakes.

In the mighty KC-10, setting the parking brake is in our ground evacuation checklist...even with suspected hot brakes.

In the -135 you don't set the parking brake if you have hot brakes. The Boom pops the hatch, installs the ladder, chocks the nose gear, and everyone gets out. I saw a crew abort a take off, get hot brakes and decided to taxi to parking and the AC set the brakes. They were Q3'd.

Guest MizzouNav
So now there's 2 B-1s stuck at Guam? Niiiiiice.

Also I understand that place is quite the B-52 graveyard as well, crashed wreckages all over the place (mostly on the cliffs), from the Arc Light days.

theother one was a b-2.

Oh yeah, but there's that other B-1 that's been stuck there for, what, like 2 years? Came in hot brakes, then gear fire, then engine bay fire...

all of that....and then rolled backwards off of the taxiway. Still there IIRC.

There is more to this than what was released to the press. Wait for the safety investigation results.

Same with the Diego B-1, alot more to the picture than simply forgetting the gear.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest lightning4eva
Must have been real slow since the airshow ended on the 24th of Feb and this happened on the 8th of March. Even the Wright Flyer could have made it in better time.

when the flaps get stuck down, why complain about an extra week or 2 of vaca? just a rumor, nothing confirmed