Boycott Clovis New Mexico

ClearedHot

Well the mudslinging has begun.

A few AFSOC dudes who will soon be PCSing to Cannon put together a video with pictures from a recent visit. If you look at the comments on the Youtube page, the debate is already getting ugly.

I heard second-hand that this video made it to a recent mayoral debate, their answer...and this is takes the cake..."If they don't like it here, let them volunteer to go to Iraq".

Hey Clovis... :flipoff:

Boycott Clovis New Mexico

EDITED by Baseops -- Clip Inserted Below:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should really stop thinking Enid is so bad. I think the most important thing I've learned from that video is what I'll be doing with my shotgun if I ever get PCS'd there...fuck that shithole. And look at that PaulHunton douche bag's comments, what an idiot. Not only does the town itself suck major ass, but so do all the people who live in it. Why doesn't the AF just leave.

Not only does the town itself suck major ass, but so do all the people who live in it.

Not only have I lived there for several years, I still have family that lives there and calls Clovis home. I think you need to re-phrase your response bro.

If you have not lived there, you cannot truly talk shit about Clovis. Yes, there are much better places to live. The people there in East NM and West TX are seriously some of the nicest folks in the country...hands down.

Clovis isn't as bad as it seems

Not only have I lived there for several years, I still have family that lives there and calls Clovis home. I think you need to re-phrase your response bro.

If you have not lived there, you cannot truly talk shit about Clovis. Yes, there are much better places to live. The people there in East NM and West TX are seriously some of the nicest folks in the country...hands down.

Clovis isn't as bad as it seems

They "call" Clovis home and live there by choice. The USAF folks going there have NO CHOICE.

Clovis is a shit hole.

Let's see, hard working folks there who still tip their hats and treat everyone with respect. World class skiing only a day away. Green chillie... Oh, wait, you went to AFSOC because you wanted to go to Hurlburt? SUCKER. Now you get both the unbelieveable ops tempo and a place without a big city. Cry me a river. Every base is what you make of it.

*Been stationed at both Hurlburt and Kirtland.*

They "call" Clovis home and live there by choice. The USAF folks going there have NO CHOICE.

Clovis is a shit hole.

Well, at least you can go to Chili's and not Applebee's (cheescake factory of the south)...yeah that place doesn't look so hot.

Volunteer to go to Iraq lazy arses! What an asshole...

Tech...yeah I shouldn't have said "all"...but it's obvious based on some comments made both by Clovis residents and by AF who have/do live there that some of the populace has issues. Regardless, it still sounds and looks like a shitty place to live.

Seriously? A "day away"? Sign me up!

Meaning, of course, a day trip. You can leave in the morning and be back home at night without too much sweat. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

HD, they don't need your hubcaps, they already spent $4,000 ($3,995 more than the cost of their car) on rims.

Also, to clarify, people who joined AFSOC to bring pain upon those who deserve it with a few different kick ass C-130 mods, more power to them. It won't matter where they are stationed. They get to do a kick ass job and "Bring the rain" to those who oppose us. (Yeah, Transformers, I know) I'm guessing we all know people who just wanted to go hang out on the beach at Hurlburt and don't care about the mission. Those are the ones who will really be sore at going to Clovis.

I'm of the opinion that the people who bitch about the base they are stationed at are the ones who make that particular base a shit hole. 13 years in the USAF has taught me this. I loved my time at Kirtland. Granted, Clovis ain't no Kirtland, but it's still not as bad as....(Insert the name of any base in Texas here). But hey, that's my opinion, and, as we all know, opinions are like assholes. I won't change anyone's mind here what they think of it, I realize this. So I'm going to sit back and enjoy the rest of this thread.

Discus - glad to be both an asshole and the proud owner opinions

Also, to clarify, people who joined AFSOC to bring pain upon those who deserve it with a few different kick ass C-130 mods, more power to them. It won't matter where they are stationed.

You could not be more wrong...it matters to me where I am stationed and more importantly where my family lives when I spent 5 months a year down range.

I'm guessing we all know people who just wanted to go hang out on the beach at Hurlburt and don't care about the mission. Those are the ones who will really be sore at going to Clovis.

You are guessing wrong dude. I've been doing this a LONG time, and I've never met a single person like that in the gunship community.

Oh yeah, Clovis is a shit hole.

Granted, Clovis ain't no Kirtland, but it's still not as bad as....(Insert the name of any base in Texas here).

Are you saying that Kirtland is a bad place to be??? WTF?

You simply cannot put Cannon in the same class as Kirtland. That's like saying the Chevy Cobalt is a "race car." It just doesn't work, man.

Cleared Hot,

Discus,

....have you been to Cannon? I can remember very well that when the -111s were there,...we'd say a guy or gal should get credit for a remote tour if assigned to Cannon.

I've flown into Cannon on several occasions and other than kite flying and base MWR, what does Clovis, NM have to offer locally? Please educate me!

I loved my time at Kirtland. Granted, Clovis ain't no Kirtland, but it's still not as bad as....(Insert the name of any base in Texas here).

Yeah....as stated above, you cannot compare Cannon to Kirtland. Albuquerque is a large city, tons of restaurants, skiing, colleges, lots of stuff to do. Clovis, not so much. For god's sake, the "pro-clovis" video featured "Chili's" for the "Good Food!" plug. YGBFSM!

Your whole reasoning of "well, look at Texas, they have shitty bases" is just ridiculous. Just because we have bases in shitty places, doesn't mean we need to fight to keep them open in shitty places.

The thing that is so unnerving about this whole move is that anyone has yet to produce any valid reasons for keeping cannon open. There are plenty of other places that will provide a better environment for training and quality of life that they can choose from, if they are in such dire need for a "West coast base". (which I am still trying to figure out why they think Clovis is on the west coast, someone please help me on that)

All it is, is some politician somewhere keeping it open, and some asshole skewing the numbers to sell some general that he is saving money on keeping it open, when in fact it's only going to cost the Air Force millions in retraining people because of the large retention plague that is going to hit AFSOC.

Want a west coast base? Look at Fairchild for god's sake.

....have you been to Cannon? I can remember very well that when the -111s were there,...we'd say a guy or gal should get credit for a remote tour if assigned to Cannon.

I heard Cannon used to be a remote but they moved the gate a mile further out to get the base within X amount of miles of the nearest big city to avoid the remote title. Any truth to that?

Who's the dirty politician behind all of this?

Back when F-111s still ruled the universe, I was up at Mt Home. Many had bad things to say about it (I didn't, I liked Idaho!), but many more said "at least we're not at Cannon!"

Whereas I am a strong advocate of making the best out of any situation, I also wonder why the USAF has to force everyone to "embrace the suck?" I can put up with it, but as CH so aptly stated none of us want our families to have to put up with it as well! The thing about Hurlburt was at least you knew your family was in a nice place.

We all know the reasons the USAF chose Cannon, ain't no way you are gonna convince us otherwise.

And watch what you say about Texas, junior! I think people would prefer even El Paso over Clovis!

Cheers! M2

I heard Cannon used to be a remote but they moved the gate a mile further out to get the base within X amount of miles of the nearest big city to avoid the remote title. Any truth to that?

Who's the dirty politician behind all of this?

Points all taken and noted. Yes, I have been to Cannon, four months TDY there. As I said, it's all about opinions.

The Dirty Politician is none other than a certan ex-presidential canidate... And yes, it was BS that they kept it open. Even if I didn't mind it there, it should have been closed down... No real use for it after the F-16 went away.

I heard the exact same thing about Laughin, except it was that they built a new gate and made the original gate the "back gate". I believed it, seeing as how the static displays and guard shack (in 97, at least) look a lot like you would expect a front gate to look.

I'd like to thank Nate and Pete for the boycott Clovis video. The EMS company I work for wants to station a EMS helo there from Lubbock. The town sucks big time. The video my help change a few minds. I was stationed at Hurlburt and Kirkland while in AFSOC and a remote tour is warranted for Cannon.

Guest MizzouNav

The replies from people who are from clovis (or say they are) on youtube sound pretty confrontational and mean spirited twoards militar types. "go say hello to the suicide bomers for me" was quite memorable. Looked like a lot of cities in my home state of Michigan.

And watch what you say about Texas, junior! I think people would prefer even El Paso over Clovis!

Met a former airman who was from El Paso, and when asked where he wanted to be stationed, he said he wanted to be close to home, so he put Holloman, Kirtland, and DM on his top choices. The AF sent him to Cannon and he told me that was the reason he only did his initial commitment and got out. He had nothing but bad things to say about it really, and I didn't even have to fan the fire. So yeah, spot on M2.

If you're thinking that Clovis isn't family-friendly, then you are wrong. Especially if you're saying that and haven't lived there. I lived there for almost 6 yrs as a kid, and can honestly say that didn't mind living there. You have to make an honest effort to get off the base and get involved in town. We knew several families that liked Clovis and a few that didn't. The ones that did like Clovis were the ones that lived off base and got involved (school/church/sports/etc). The ones that didn't were the ones that lived on base and never ventured into town.

Are there better places in the country to raise a family? Sure. Are there worse places than Clovis? Sure. I can think of one right off the bat...Del Rio. I lived there too and can say there is much less opportunity there than Clovis.

Like was stated above, every base is what you make of it. Hell, its not like you're living there for the rest of your life. Just a few years.

As far as making comments to the effect of going to Iraq to avoid living in Clovis...not cool.