General info on UPT (Undergraduate Pilot Training)

Guest Aces-High

Guest gtyj98

A tad off the main subject, but...

I know of several guys who graduated 38s, and for different reasons, are now flying heavies.

Two examples. A buddy from my UPT class was a 38 FAIP, had a major back operation and had to switch to a non-ejection aircraft (went to the C-17). Another guy I met in GRACC at Scott AFB graduated 38s and asked for a C-17, and subsequently got it instead of a fighter/bomber--extremely rare circumstance though.

Originally posted by backseatdriver:

Don't you start T-38s/1s like the day after you track select?

You start the program right away, but not flying. You've got a couple weeks of academics and simulators before you get your first flight.

So if you're still in academics, you can switch?

I seriously doubt it. Remember that when the assignments are given out at track select, there is one spot for everybody. So if you really want T-1s but T-38s are the only thing left (I've seen it happen), you're getting a T-38. The only way I could see a switch happening is if two people (one from each side) came forward immediately after selecting and said that each had been pressured into their choice by (I've seen this happen as well) and wished to change. Then maybe this could happen.

Guest Apollo

Don't you start T-38s/1s like the day after you track select?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RaptorwannaB

Another thing I was wondering about UPT was how a class is stratified at UPT. Basically, what makes the #1 guy in a class #1? Any insight? thanks!

As long as you pass the FACT, your score doesn't matter. FACT does not directly weight into the overall ranking. However, if you can't pass it you may not have the best commander's ranking.

Another thing I was wondering about UPT was how a class is stratified at UPT. Basically, what makes the #1 guy in a class #1? Any insight? thanks!

Here's some info on and here's some info on

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest x-wing

I was wondering how many flight hours per phase of UPT each student gets. I was able to find the ENJJPT numbers are they the same for regular UPT?

The T-37 syllabus calls for a minimum of 89 hours and that is not normally an issue as long as the ASD (average sortie duration) isn't capped low for your entire time. Most students will have one or two 86 sorties (those are somewhat freebie rides after a break of 5 days or more in the jet) or have to repeat a ride for an incomplete or an unsat. The T-38 syllabus (at least when I was a student about 2 years ago) required 117 hours. Don't know for sure about the T-1 side but I think they had less sorties but more hours but some of those hours sitting in the jump seat (from what I know during the Transition phase, or first portion of the syllabus, you fly with an IP and another student and split the time at the controls with the other student but log all the time) Hope that helps and sorry it took 3 or 4 posts to get a worthwhile answer. I know not everyone is interested but I feel it was a valid question.

Guest x-wing

Phase 2 sorties/ hours

Category Dual Solo Total

Contact 35/44.7 1 1/13.7 46/58.4

Instrument 23/32.9 23/32.9

Navigation 8/10.4 8/10.4

Formation 14/18.6 2/2.7 16/21.3

Total 80/106.6 13/16.4 93/123.0

Phase 3

Category Dual Solo Total

Contact 21/25.1 9/9.9 30/35.0

Instrument 28/36.8 3/3.5 31/40.3

Navigation 9/10.4 9/10.4

Formation 32/36.5 7/7.8 39/44.3

Total 90/108.8 19/21.2 109/130.0

I found this info on one of the ENJJPT journals.

thanks for the responces guys

I'll have about 100 in the T-34 when I'm done at Whiting (next week!) Thats with about 4-5 mandatory 86 rides for being out of the plane longer than 5 days prior to solo flights. You can finish in around 90 hours if the weather and schedules work in your favor (doesn't really matter if you suck or not.) We also get 34 hours in the sim.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sniper5482

I've been looking through some of the old discussions about assignments out of UPT, but I still had a few questions...

It's normally about 6-7 months after UPT starts that you get moved into either T-1s or T-38s, right? Are those the only two paths or do helos get picked then too? Also, does the class like split up then or are you all still a part of the same class but some guys are flying different trainers? I thought that at Moody you had to move after 6 months?? And many of the posts that guys are making with all the aircraft that were dished out for their class included both for T-38s and T-1s.

What do the percentages normally look like? I'm thinking like 70% go T-1 and 30% go T-38? And at this point you don't find out what aircraft you'll get after UPT, right? You don't find that out until you finish in 38s or 1s right?

If someone could go through the pipeline step by step that would be really helpful. A lot of us guys going to UPT soon appreciate all the info you experienced guys can offer...

Guest sickels101

Phase I = Academics for 6 weeks

Phase II = T-38/T-6 for 5-6 months

You then go to either T-1s (refueler/airlift), T-38s (fighter/bomber), T-44s in Corpus Christi (C-130s although you can still get them out of T-1s), and Hueys out of Ft. Rucker.

Generally, most of the dudes go to T-1s. Usually anywhere from 3-6 dudes will get picked for 38s. And then less than one helo average per drop and about 1-2 130s.

You will stay in the same class unless going to another base for 130s or helos. You will just combine with the class in front or behind you.

Not sure about Moody but I have heard you do have to leave but still not sure.

Guest FlyingAgain

You track select six months after you start. Track select determines whether you get T-1s, T-38s, UH-1s (Ft. Rucker), or T-44s (NAS Corpus Christi).

T-6 Students at Moody will leave Moody at the six month point and go to either Corpus, Ft. Rucker, or a normal UPT base (Laughlin, Columbus, or Vance) to get T-1s or T-38s.

If you're at a regular UPT base, those who get T-1s and T-38s will remain in the same class, although will rarely see each other during the course of a normal work day. There are still social functions as well as fund raisers you will do as a class.

It's hard to look at percentages at a typical track select. There is usually one UH-1, five or so T-44s, four to six T-38s (determined by how many people are coming in from Moody), and the rest T-1s.

Hope that helps. I'm sure a lot of people on here can fill in anything I missed.

Guest Slye

Yes, it's normally ~7 months before Phase III starts. At that point you can go T-1s, T-38s, T-44s, or UH-1s. Everyone who tracks is still part of the same class but of course are flying different things. The studs who go to T-44s and UH-1s are not really in the same class though because their timelines are a little different and since they're switching bases, they will have a delay in their training.

If you go to Moody for Phases I and II (which will end eventually thanks to BRAC, but anyways) you will leave after you track because that base doesn't have follow-on aircraft for Phase III. If you're at any other base besides Moody, you'll stay where you're at if you get T-1s or T-38s.

It's usually a little less than 30% T-38s, with most of the rest being T-1s. There's usually 1 UH-1 and a few T-44s. I've seen it vary quite a bit from those numbers before though. You're correct, you won't know what aircraft you'll fly until the end of Phase III.

Guest Sniper5482

and what's the average class size? about 20? how many usually come in wanting to go T-1? T-38? T-44? helo? out of the number that get it?

in other words how many broken hearts are out there?

Guest Hoser

The average class size is approx 25-30 dudes. My class was 28. As for how many dudes want each type of aircraft, it all depends. There will be some guys that really want to fly fighters and then after puking a few times in the T-37's quickly change their mind. Likewise there are some guys that think they want the heavy lifestyle and after flying the tweet a few times, think flying loops to music is fun, and they too change their mind.

Seeing that the number of T-38 slots are decreasing per class, I would guess there are at least one or two dudes that want the figher track, but don't get it. I think another factor that plays into effect is the fact that most, if not all of the T-37 instructors are from the tankers or airlift life, so if the students are constantly exposed (STS) to that lifestyle, their feelings toward flying fighers, or even helos for that matter, may get swayed.

Hoser

[ 15. May 2005, 22:06: Message edited by: Hoser ]

Guest HueyPilot

In my class there were 2 people who were upset at not getting T-38s. Everyone else was pretty happy with what they got.

On a side note...my advice to you who don't get what you want...just realize that you're still in the game and your future depends on your attitude. Both of those guys had pretty crappy attitudes in T-1s, and neither did very well. One got a KC-135 (and wanted C-17s) and the other got an RJ (and again wanted C-17s).

The ironic part is both were pretty good students in Tweets, just not quite good enough to grab one of the 38 slots. Had their attitude not gone in the sh!tter, they probably would have finished fairly high in T-1s.

[ 17. May 2005, 11:23: Message edited by: HueyPilot ]

• 2 years later...
Guest tank1er

Hi all, I was wonderding if during UPT students were allowed off during Federal hollidays as defined per (5 U.S.C. 6103). Hollidays such as Memorial Day, Veterans Day and Columbus day. Also if one of these fall on a weekend then do you get the following Monday off?

Also has anyone had any difficulty living off base during UPT either while single or engaged especially while waiting to get married. I'm just trying to be able to plan for the future. Thanks for imput.