General info on UPT (Undergraduate Pilot Training)

Guest Aces-High

I'm guessing here but the "course for pilot/nav/uav" you have listed in month 15 is IFS....with a commercial license, you can scratch that step out.....

Nope, I could totally be wrong but I remember someone mentioning some sort of basic officer course that covers the subject matter and mission of the aviation specific tacks and what's expected of you as an officer in that field. It has some kind of 4 letter acronym. I could have misinterpreted what someone was saying about UPT academics or something, or maybe in takes place after your qualified and before you go to your first unit. I'll ask a couple of the guys I know who fly for the AF.

Nope, I could totally be wrong but I remember someone mentioning some sort of basic officer course that covers the subject matter and mission of the aviation specific tacks and what's expected of you as an officer in that field. It has some kind of 4 letter acronym. I could have misinterpreted what someone was saying about UPT academics or something, or maybe in takes place after your qualified and before you go to your first unit. I'll ask a couple of the guys I know who fly for the AF.

SERE?

SERE?

LOL no, besides I'm SERE C qualified already. I talked to a friend of mine in the Air Force and he said there's no class in-between. I must have confused stories about the first week of UPT. That takes care of that. Looks like these days if you're SERE C, and already have a license there's not a huge hold up. I suppose the biggest things would be the Air Force physical and any kind of security clearance stuff.

Month 1: Application submission.

Month 2: Generally nothing

Month 3: Board Convenes, packets are reviewed. Candidates are chosen for phone interviews.

Month 4: Phone interviews are conducted and the remaining candidates are invited to a personal interview.

Month 5: Interviews are conducted and primary/alternate are selected.

Month 6-12: MEPS/Medical/Administrative processing etc. (maybe less for prior service?)

Month 13/14: AMS (if available and faster, if it's faster to go through BOT, although the course is longer, then that will be used)

Month 15/16: UPT (the academic portion first and then everything else).

Month 3: Board Convenes, packets are reviewed. Candidates are chosen for phone interviews.

Month 4: Phone interviews are conducted and the remaining candidates are invited to a personal interview.

Is this something special that's done for prior service/enlisted folks? None of the units I've applied to have done phone interviews prior to on-site interviews. Sometimes you can arrange a phone interview in place of an on-site interview...

Is this something special that's done for prior service/enlisted folks? None of the units I've applied to have done phone interviews prior to on-site interviews. Sometimes you can arrange a phone interview in place of an on-site interview...

I was told that the unit I'm talking to did this last time. Not sure if it's standard or what, just threw it in there based on what I heard. I'm trying to be a bit conservative on the timelines because I know how things can drag out in the military.

I did a phone interview with my unit because I was deployed at the time.......I had stopped in numerous times and sat down with the SQ/CC before the deployment so that also helped..

Probably thinking of the old "ASBC" course, a month long post-OTS course on "how the AF goes to war". It was cancelled in 2012 or so, but it's still in some of the unrevised instructions.

• Upvote 1

Probably thinking of the old "ASBC" course, a month long post-OTS course on "how the AF goes to war". It was cancelled in 2012 or so, but it's still in some of the unrevised instructions.

Good call man, that's what it was. Glad to hear it was cancelled. I was really disappointed to hear that they cancelled the FWQC, but with the elimination of ASBC and IFS (for licensed pilots), the timeline is much more manageable.

I can understand how cutting courses like ASBC and IFS in order to save time and money makes sense, but getting rid of the FWQC to save money doesn't.

It would seem to me that having a rated aviator be on active orders for a shorter period of time and fly less hours in his/her qualification would only save the Air Force time and money. One of the F-16 pilots I've been working with on this actually used it back in 2010. If it was still there myself, the prospective unit, and the Air Force would have a much easier time making this happen.

Edited by xcraftllc

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update this based on what I've found out: Due the budget constraints, ANG and reserve units are having a hard time being able to tell exactly when they'll be able to put selected applicants through UPT. For example, the unit I've been working with only knows that their UPT class will be "some time in FY16," even though the board will be conducted at the end of this year. Although this will in my case potentially put it past my 30th birthday, I spoke about it with the Group Commander and he still highly encourages me to apply.

I'm not sure how this relates exactly to Active Duty, but from what I last heard, they are able to shuffle age-critical personnel around as needed to get them through in time, I'm assuming based on what the Commander told me that the ANG can work a similar deal. There are of course always Waivers and ETPs which can be used for such minor deviations in such adverse circumstances.

Anyway I've also heard of this happening to some other units so I just thought I'd throw it out there to give a heads up.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

It varies lot depending on post-selection paperwork, how the physicals go (needed waivers), etc. but I'd expect 7-9 months to your OTS date, then straight to UPT base, sit for a month or two, allow five weeks for IFS (if you have to go), sit another month, then start UPT class for the next year. No guarantees, but that's a rough estimate with "normal" training schedule and delays.

Edited by HiFlyer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

What have been the general trends for class drops? For example, how many UPT students generally get fighter, mobility, etc.?

The only real trend is that historical data is not reliable for upt assignments.

What have been the general trends for class drops? For example, how many UPT students generally get fighter, mobility, etc.?

It changes every 3 weeks. Be the best and you have the best chance to get what you want.

1. Timing is everything

2. There is no justice

standard thought process, maintainer's perspective, now applied to drops:

1. they wouldn't set it up like that, that's insane

>

2. oh lord, they did

>

3. WHY

>

4. (picks up wrench)