Crosswind Landing - EDDH

Guest IGB

Guest regularjoe

Obviously some of you guys have never been to Kai Tak in the "good old days" that was some serious flying skills.

post-4065-1204579184_thumb.jpg

post-4065-1204579173_thumb.jpg

post-4065-1204579178_thumb.jpg

Oh well.... now the airport is Condo's.

Obviously some of you guys have never been to Kai Tak in the "good old days" that was some serious flying skills.

post-4065-1204579184_thumb.jpg

post-4065-1204579173_thumb.jpg

post-4065-1204579178_thumb.jpg

Oh well.... now the airport is Condo's.

I'll agree, that was a challenging approach, more so w/ x-winds. So, since the "good old days" are gone, where is the "new" Kai Tak today?

From CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/03/03...lane/index.html

Another second or two, the result could have been catastrophic. Does anyone have any good stories of being a PAX on a commercial flight that looked like this?

:beer:

F that man. I wonder what their crosswind limits are? I can't imagine being one of the passengers riding on the left side of the airplane. I most definitly would've needed a clean pair of shorts.

Guest regularjoe
I'll agree, that was a challenging approach, more so w/ x-winds. So, since the "good old days" are gone, where is the "new" Kai Tak today?

They built the new airport (Chek Lap Kok) out on a man-made island that was made with parts of two other islands to form the new airport. Much better runway and easier approaches that no longer have you weaving between buildings, runway is a bit longer as well for when you are leaving heavy and full for non-stop to the US.

Infrastructure is much better at the new airport with it being much easier to get in and out of it.

I would still take Kai Tak though anyday, nothing beats the old 90 degree turn at the checker board and staring at the people eye to eye in the Hilton on your way in.

What are the bank angle limitations on airliners like that? I'm guessing that's the limitation that keeps them in a crab all the way to the runway as opposed to the standard upwind-wing-down-top-rudder-approach on short final.

Did anyone else have to watch that CNN video on mute after about 15 seconds of listening to that twit of a reporter and our highly informed eyewitness who experienced this traumatic event? Now I realize why I hate cable news and everything associated with it.

Guest regularjoe
What are the bank angle limitations on airliners like that? I'm guessing that's the limitation that keeps them in a crab all the way to the runway as opposed to the standard upwind-wing-down-top-rudder-approach on short final.

There isn't so much a bank angle limitation on airlines but there is a maximum rudder effectiveness number, on the 757 I think it is 42 kts at 90 degree's the 747 is between 40-45 kts depending on gust conditions, the main reason you see a crab performed is usually do to the fact that most airliners these days sit relatively low to the ground and the clearence of the engine nacelles to the ground prevents the wing down approach.

On the 747 the main gear is designed to touchdown and be able to rotate to the runway heading at a maximum offset of 50 degree's. I have been on two of those types of approaches on NCA 747's and I tell you they are not nearly as fun as it looks :nob:. it is however impressive to see Boeing engineering at work when you land 40+ degree's off angle and use 100% rudder to turn to the runway heading against the crosswind.

Check out this link for an idea of what Kai Tak was like in crosswinds. BTW even though it is Korean Air this flight had American pilots on the controls as did all frieghter flights coming from and to the US for them.

Edited by regularjoe

I like this landing...Nothing beats flying down the side of a mountain at 20ft AGL!

Yeah that's at Tegucigalpa, Honduras.

Leave it to South/Central America to test what kinda pilot you are/are not...

Pleanty of sketchy fields down there.