Remote to Korea

Guest Viperdriver9

Guest Viperdriver9

Hey all: Leaving for 1 year remote in Korea soon. Any advice on what to send over early with the movers?

Mountain bike, driving sucks and the roads are rough. Don't forget your helmet and REFLECTIVE BELT!

And remember...never shake your baby. I would not recommend bringing your POV, unless you like playing bumper cars with something nice. You don't need any furniture or anything like that. A TV ain't a terrible idea. Your room should have plenty of random left over kitchen stuff, and then it is legit to steal and pillage whatever else you need. Most dudes have a shitload of DVDs and stuff, so you can keep those in the states. The BX and commissary at Kunsan should have everything else you need. PM me if you want any other poop.

I'd disagree on the car, but that's that's just my perspective. I lived off base and worked in the AOC. During exercises, the difference between walking from work to the gate or walking from work 50 yards to the parking lot in full gear was reason alone to bring a car. I found that shipping it was easier than I thought. You can buy a cheap car while there, but its really not necessary because of the ease of shipping your own.

I wouldn't bring a nice car. We brought my wife's Lincoln LS and in six months it's been in a hit-and-run fender bender once and was vandalized last week while parked at the PX on a Korean Army base (I'm an exchange officer at the Korean AF Staff College which is on a Korean Army base) to the tune of $2000 (top of the bumper got smashed by a rock). Thankfully USAA covered all but the deductible. You can find a nice used Korean car for under $2000 and I would recommend having a car so it's easier to travel about. Despite the vandalism incident, we've had a very positive experience here and staying on base the whole time will make for a miserable experience.

PBAR

They'll even pay OHA for her to get an off base apt - even if you keep your dorm room. Ref - JFTR Chap 10.

You might want to check this with finance there. REF: JFTR (U10400) If you clear out of your dorm room, then YOU are authorized Single OHA (FSH-O) if approved by the housing office. If your spouse joins you as non-command sponsored, then you stop receiving BAH for any stateside location, then begin receiving with-Dep rate OHA.

If you kept your Dorm room, I bet finance didn't know that. If you begin the with dependent rate OHA, you should also not have a dorm room.

Guest Cap-10

When you get to Osan, you will get a dorm room. You can get your SQ/CC to sign a form, allowing you to live off base. You then take that form to the housing office and get put on 'the list'. If you make it to the top of the list, you get approval to move off base, at govt. expense.

If you don't make it to the top of the list, then you are not 'approved' to live off base, so you keep your dorm room and just happen to sleep over at your wife's apartment 7 days a week. The dorm room is also money during the exercises, becuase after working 18hr days, you can walk 5 minutes to the dorm, get your 6hr rack time, and then rinse and repeat, vs having to fight hours worth of traffic allowed thru the one exercise gate with mandartory vehicle inspections for all, losing out on precious sleepy time.

When you are on a remote assignment, the govt. is paying a housing allowance (BAH or OHA) for where ever your significant other is living....could be back in the states, could be out the front gate of Osan.

Big differences are you pay to get your wife/kids over (approx $1200-$1500 per round trip ticket) as well as limited househould goods. If you are command sponsored, then normal JTFR allowances apply. If you are non-command sponsored, then you can ship 600lbs by air, or 10% of JTFR by bo-at.

Most apartments off base are not furnished, but you can normally make arangements for some basic furniture: I worked out one bed, a small table and chairs to eat on, couch, etc. With the high turnover rate, there are always flyers around the BX for people selling stuff cheap. Goes for cars as well.

Seeing the driving skills and VERY narrow roads, I would recommend buying one of the 94-95 Daewoo Princes (seems to be AF standard over here) for about 1-2K, drive it like you stole for one year, and then sell it.

Must get back to work!

Cap-10 :flag_waving:

• 3 weeks later...

My wife is about to commission and I have a victory lap at school. She is going to immediately put in for a remote for Korea so I have a few questions...

1) Is it likely she'll get the remote upon completing ASBC? Or will she go to finance officer training first?

2) I got a pilot slot and so I'll likely not EAD for a few months to six, so can I go over there?

3) Could I potentially do some casual time over there? Probably far fetched but just a random idea...

Thanks.

1) Is it likely she'll get the remote upon completing ASBC? Or will she go to finance officer training first?

It would make more sense for her to complete all of her training before they send her on a remote/deployment.

2) I got a pilot slot and so I'll likely not EAD for a few months to six, so can I go over there?

If you got a passport, and bought your plan ticket, I don't see why you couldn't go over there. You would be an American visiting Korea:-)

3) Could I potentially do some casual time over there? Probably far fetched but just a random idea...

Ask. The worst that will happen is they (who ever is in charge of you) says no. I haven't heard of anyone doing their casual status over there. But that's not saying it doesn't happen.

• 2 months later...

It's looking like I'm headed off to Osan at the end of the year. Does anyone know if I can take a motorcycle and if it would be a good/bad idea to do so? I'm thinking it'd be nice to run around base on, but not sure about off base (criminal situation).

Guest Cap-10
I'm headed to Osan next and was wondereing if anyone had advice on cheap airline tickets. I'm going unaccompianed but bringing my wife. I wanted to buy tickets now while they're still cheap but was told to hold off until I got to Osan - that I could get much cheaper tickets through a travel agent outside the gate once I got there, even if the departure date was within a couple weeks. Anyone know if this is accurate?

The USA Travel office on base sometimes has prices a little cheaper than I found on line. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

There is an American Airlines, Korean Air, and Asiana Airline office just across the street from the front gate. They normally only have prices a few weeks out (which is in line with how most asian's travel, they don't plan ahead). I was looking at prices to bring my parents out for a vacation visit, but prices were fairly close to what I was finding online anyway. As always, it depends.

It's looking like I'm headed off to Osan at the end of the year. Does anyone know if I can take a motorcycle and if it would be a good/bad idea to do so? I'm thinking it'd be nice to run around base on, but not sure about off base (criminal situation).

I wouldn't ride a motorcycle off base in Korea. From what I've heard you would be asking for extra visits to the medical hobby shop.

Guest Cap-10

I know a few people that have motorcycles here at Osan. Hell, there are already eleventy-billion people riding around on scooters in the scooters only lane.......oh wait.......that's the sidewalk.

I will say that driving over here is 'differnet' to say the least, but I haven't heard any of the bro's with motorcycles complaining any more than I did back in the states.

With regards to the criminal threat, there is actually very little crime in South Korea, and what little there is, is most small time petty stuff.

I wouldn't ride a motorcycle off base in Korea. From what I've heard you would be asking for extra visits to the medical hobby shop.

Riding over here is not much different that back home. If you don't pay attention you will get in trouble, same thing with crime. Crime is worse on base than off. If you are smart and have some SA you will not have a problem. Now if you have a 600RR and plan on doing 160 on the road up to Seoul, you will be visiting the medical hobby shop.

I didn't bring a car or a motorcycle, I walk and bike to work. But I am at Yong San, much smaller base than Osan.

Bring the motorcycle.

Edited by Nole_96

• 1 year later...
************* Thread Revival *************************

I just found out I am going to Camp Red Cloud this winter. Anybody been there or know someone who has?

Yes, been there, known lot's of people there. It is out in the middle of nowhere. It does not suck as much as it used to and the Seoul METRO goes all the way to Uijongbu now so it is easier and faster to get to Seoul now.

This is more aimed at the guy from last year who thought an Osan/Red Cloud assignment was a screw job.

There's plenty of fun shit to do in the ROK if you give it a chance and don't just automatically assume it's going to suck. There's rock climbing in Seoul (indoor and outdoor), some pretty decent skiing, and the food kicks ass (my opinion). Panmunjon is worth seeing. Lots of temples. Some different SCUBA diving, decent water skiing, fishing, etc.

Alternately, you could eat at Popeye's and the club every day for a year and wear out a DVD player or two watching movies in your room all weekend. I've seen that work for a lot of guys too.

Edited by 60 driver

• 3 weeks later...

Ello!

- Who is able to get stationed at Korea? Can it be anyone (heavy/fighter) or just fighter?

- If you are able to make it a 3yr tour, can one bring his/her dogs (along with the spouse, of course!)?

Thanks!

Guest Form 8

We have a guy at my base who did a staff job in Korea for a year (forgot the base) to come back here.

We also had a Copilot get popped back in April for a 365 day TDY to the Deid.

Ello!

- Who is able to get stationed at Korea? Can it be anyone (heavy/fighter) or just fighter?

- If you are able to make it a 3yr tour, can one bring his/her dogs (along with the spouse, of course!)?

Thanks!

Short answer: Anyone.

There are no resident heavies on the peninsula, but there are other jobs there. Not sure about the recent changes allowing accompanied tours.

• 10 years later...

Thread Revival

I’m an O-5 select with 14 years TIS and an ADSC that expires in December 2020.

Looking at my options for the future and one of them is trying to get a year gig in Korea and then sign the 5 year bonus which should get me to 20 years with avoiding a year in Afghanistan.

I am curious about how it works to bring your wife and kids with you for the non-command sponsored year assignment.  Will I still get my BAH at my last duty station.  Am I able to get a place off base and then have them live with me?  Would I have to pay out of pocket to live off base?  How does it work if they get sick and need medical care while there?  What about a dog, if we paid for him to come over on airline, are apartments pet-friendly over there?

Any other issues I should think about it?

Thanks!

If you’re family is over there for semi-permanently, you will get OHA instead of BAH. I think Korea requires visitors to not exceed 90 days in country at a time (doing so requires a work/student visa). I remember guys’ wives every 90 days taking a trip somewhere (anywhere that’s not Korea) for even a few days (rehacks the clock).  It’s a bit gray on where the line is between “visiting” and still collecting BAH vs. semi-permanently living there (i.e. there every day except the 1-3 day trips every 90 days).  Sounds like you’re wanting to do max time living in Korea for family, which means you need to do OHA vs. BAH.

You will get a place on your own (plenty of apartment options right off base for both Osan and Kunsan).  OHA is meant to cover rent and most utilities, so you shouldn’t really be out of pocket on this.

Medical care is nearly non existent at Kunsan for family, Osan is “full up.”  I wouldn’t worry about emergency care, but normal doc visits, kids have X condition, etc. are definitely things to consider, especially if going to Kunsan.

I know plenty of people over the years who took dogs.  I’m not sure if you’ll be able to book a pet spot on the rotator, but that’d be my first choice if you can.  Secondary option is get dog over there yourself via normal airlines.  This can be a massive pain in the ass, but doable.  Watch out on time of year, they won’t fly an animal if temps are over something in the low 80s.  Basically, a total crapshoot in the summer.  It’s also not cheap, and there are crate size limits.  You’ll have to talk to the cargo section at airlines to figure that out...hopefully you can avoid that by doing the rotator.

Lastly, I wouldn’t say a remote to Korea saves you from a 365 to Buttfuckistan.  I trust the AD as far as I can throw them...which is 0.069”.  So, personally I don’t know if I’d ever take a “bad deal now” in hopes it will save you from a “bad deal later.”  Korea won’t be too bad (and way better than the desert 365), but I know I’d be real pissed if I volunteered for that, then 4 years later got a “here’s your parting gift as you get ready to retire in 380 days.”

• Like 1

So I'm playing the NCS game at Osan right now and basically Brabus had it mostly correct. In general if you want to be safe with the law, just switch to dependent OHA. Otherwise, your dependents can not reside with you more than 90 days. Different commanders have interpreted the intent on this differently as far as whether just going to Japan for the weekend hacks the clock. In short Uncle Sam doesn't really want you collecting BAH in an area that you don't own a residence in. I don't know anyone recently disciplined for this but if you search Reddit it has definitely happened in the past. 

The SOFA status sometimes gets confused with residence rules and Non Command Sponsorship because without a SOFA visa your family also has to depart every 90 days. The good news is the ROK government doesn't give a shit if your family is CS or NCS. They will grant a SOFA visa either way which allows your dependents into Korea for as long as your orders run. Definitely do this because if you accidentally break 90 days you don't want persona non grata status on your spouse. It might make it difficult for them to visit other countries as well. 

Korean apartment associations are ammong the most pet friendly I've seen. In short, most all of them allow pets at no additional cost but you will be responsible for damages to the premises after you leave. No grass at Osan so your dog will need to learn to poop in the street. Please pick up after it. Uber ass pain to ride your bike through it. 

Off base care is available in Suwon which is about a 20 minute drive or 45 by train. The hospital has a foreign traveler ward which deals with Tricare and organizes care. You can still use the Emergency Room on base in emergencies. 

If you have children that are school aged that is going to be your biggest problem. DOD schools will not take NCS dependents. There are private British prep school options but they can be pricey. 

You cannot use Space A or the rotater to move your dependents here. You can use it to move them back if you plan it correctly. 

BX and Commissary privledges extended as normal. 

You can only register 1 vehicle on base. 

Don't show up with Use or Lose leave. Burn down to at least 50 days or so. 

I'll send you a PM with my .mil and I can give you a lot more info. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HossHarris said:

Never volunteer for a bad deal. 

This. Playing the STRD game is a thing when you’re an old Capt or young Maj. I’ve seen multiple 365s handed out to dudes over 18 years despite recent STRD rehacks.  

• Like 1