Accutane

joshrk22

Just started (few months ago actually) my second round of Accutane, also known as Isotrentin, and I was wondering if anyone else here has used the drug before. I went on the med about a year and half ago for my acne. Towards the end of the first treatment I was on 120 mg (almost double what was recommended for my weight) and I started to notice my vision beginning to blur. When I went in to get my vision checked for DODMERB my vision had decreased from 20/15 to 20/25.

I'm now in the third month and I'm already beginning to see that my vision is blurry and my eyes are extremely watery (apparently they should be dry). I'm just wondering if I should keep pushing through and finish my six month treatment or stop the drug altogether. I'd hate to see my vision decrease to the point that I'm ineligible to fly.

I did some research and some of the side effects of Accutane are floaters in the eyes and myopia (nearsightedness). What do you guys think?

Guest acemom
Just started (few months ago actually) my second round of Accutane, also known as Isotrentin, and I was wondering if anyone else here has used the drug before. I went on the med about a year and half ago for my acne. Towards the end of the first treatment I was on 120 mg (almost double what was recommended for my weight) and I started to notice my vision beginning to blur. When I went in to get my vision checked for DODMERB my vision had decreased from 20/15 to 20/25.

I'm now in the third month and I'm already beginning to see that my vision is blurry and my eyes are extremely watery (apparently they should be dry). I'm just wondering if I should keep pushing through and finish my six month treatment or stop the drug altogether. I'd hate to see my vision decrease to the point that I'm ineligible to fly.

I did some research and some of the side effects of Accutane are floaters in the eyes and myopia (nearsightedness). What do you guys think?

As I remember, My LT son was on it for a short while (3-4months) while in high school and eventually got off it because of severe joint pain w/ athletics. It was a real pain getting DODMERB all the required medical records for his physical prior to attending USAFA. I would think that you being on it so long would be of concern since some evidence shows that it can cause "mental health issues". Are you getting blood tests regularly like my son had to? You might want to consult with other medical people about it... good luck!!!

As I remember, My LT son was on it for a short while (3-4months) while in high school and eventually got off it because of severe joint pain w/ athletics. It was a real pain getting DODMERB all the required medical records for his physical prior to attending USAFA. I would think that you being on it so long would be of concern since some evidence shows that it can cause "mental health issues". Are you getting blood tests regularly like my son had to? You might want to consult with other medical people about it... good luck!!!

Well my first trial of it was almost 8 months long, and I guess you're only supposed to go on it for a maximum of 6 months at a time. I've also had sore joints but that is to be expected. I have a feeling it's going to ruin my track season and the chance at running for Michigan next year.

DODMERB really didn't have a problem with it as long as I'm off it before I show up for USAFA or AFROTC later this year. I haven't had any mental health issues so that poses no concern. I'm just worried about my eyes. I've been going to get blood work done and my dermatologist says that it's turning out fine.

If I'm reading this correctly, you're gambling w/ your pilot qual ability over acne? Dude, I realize acne sucks, but taking some drug that can pose at the very least a serious pain in the ass w/ the AF just doesn't seem smart. I mean, blurred vision and joint pain...WTFO? Maybe I'm not understanding something here, but it sure sounds like you need to get off this crap.

When I went to my dodmerb I told them I had taken it in HS and that was the last I ever heard of it, and I know of at least 2 others in ROTC with me that took it and never had any issues with their medicals.

Just get the required blood work done, and don't let the doctor keep you on it for longer then 6 months. I personally have never heard of eyes being an issue, and mine are better then 20/20 even though i was on it in HS. However, ignorance is bliss and maybe I just didnt catch the doc say anything about it affecting your eyes.

Edited by MCO

Woke up this morning and my eyes are fine. I think after a whole day of staring at schoolwork, a computer screen, and lack of sleep (5 hours a night) my eyes are just fatigued. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes. Next time I'm in to see an optometrist, I'll ask him about it.

Thanks guys

Guest P27:17
Woke up this morning and my eyes are fine. I think after a whole day of staring at schoolwork, a computer screen, and lack of sleep (5 hours a night) my eyes are just fatigued. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes. Next time I'm in to see an optometrist, I'll ask him about it.

Thanks guys

Let's see...you're taking a medication and noticing side effects that could cause you to lose your scholarship or worse...your asking for advice on a website and waiting until you go to the optometrist to see if you might have a problem...does that sum it up?

Did you lose or forget your doctor's name? Look, I'm not trying to be a smart ass but this med can have some significant side effects...they manifest differently in some folks...could be the dosage, could be your body's reaction, or could be something totally unrelated...go see your doc...YESTERDAY!

Let's see...you're taking a medication and noticing side effects that could cause you to lose your scholarship or worse...your asking for advice on a website and waiting until you go to the optometrist to see if you might have a problem...does that sum it up?

Did you lose or forget your doctor's name? Look, I'm not trying to be a smart ass but this med can have some significant side effects...they manifest differently in some folks...could be the dosage, could be your body's reaction, or could be something totally unrelated...go see your doc...YESTERDAY!

Point taken. I'll get it checked out.

When I was 17 I did a 6 month cycle of Accutane. Blood tests once every month, small hair loss, blurred vision, easy bruising, muscle and bone aches, and EVERYTHING dried out. My skin sure cleared up...for about 6 months, and then came back. All that hell for nothing.

Accutane was miserable. I don't recommend it to anybody. Isotretnoin is extremely strong stuff and can mess you up in the long run. Not worth it.

In the long run I came across a program that was natural and actually worked. It has to do with balancing your bodies hormones, lowering candida, and taking healthy bacteria (L-acidophilus) to keep your colon from storing toxic material (candida being a big one).

Dude, its not worth it. Get off the Accutane (be sure to let your doctor know your going off, I know someone who went off it cold turkey and had some severe side effects), be happy, drink more water than usual to get you back to normal. The acne will pass. If you have any questions, PM me.

When I was 17 I did a 6 month cycle of Accutane. Blood tests once every month, small hair loss, blurred vision, easy bruising, muscle and bone aches, and EVERYTHING dried out. My skin sure cleared up...for about 6 months, and then came back. All that hell for nothing.

Accutane was miserable. I don't recommend it to anybody. Isotretnoin is extremely strong stuff and can mess you up in the long run. Not worth it.

In the long run I came across a program that was natural and actually worked. It has to do with balancing your bodies hormones, lowering candida, and taking healthy bacteria (L-acidophilus) to keep your colon from storing toxic material (candida being a big one).

Dude, its not worth it. Get off the Accutane (be sure to let your doctor know your going off, I know someone who went off it cold turkey and had some severe side effects), be happy, drink more water than usual to get you back to normal. The acne will pass. If you have any questions, PM me.

The first time I went on it, it only worked for about 6 months until football season started and then all hell broke loose. This is now my 2nd time on it and I have all of the same side effects that you had (had them the first time too); little bit of hair loss, blurred vision, and yes everything has dried out.

Where did you find this program at that really works? I've tried everything with no luck.

• 7 months later...
Guest PMannia

My doctor wants to put me on Accutane. I'm not thrilled about the idea so I'm weighing my options at this point. I was wondering if having a history of being on Accutane disqualified an applicant from passing the flight physical. My doctor informed me that one of her patients is a transport pilot and was not able to be on it. Does anyone know if it becomes a problem come physical time?

Edited by PMannia

My doctor wants to put me on Accutane. I'm not thrilled about the idea so I'm weighing my options at this point. I was wondering if having a history of being on Accutane disqualified an applicant from passing the flight physical. My doctor informed me that one of her patients is a transport pilot and was not able to be on it. Does anyone know if it becomes a problem come physical time?

Don't be on ANY acne medication at the time of your physical (I recommend you be off them for a few weeks/months before the exam)...if you need treatment then read the Aircrew Medication Guide (Search Function)...there are very few that are waiverable...Accutane is not one of them.

Guest goducks

There are several issues with Accutane and flying. It has the potential to cause dry eyes (which isn't likely to interfere with the physical, per se) and can also cause color vision changes (which could be huge issue with the physical). As P27 said, don't be on it going into you physical.