ANG 5 Yr commissioned waiver?

Hello,

I feel ive searched this post pretty thoroughly but cant find an answer to my question. Does the ANG have a requirement that states you can have no more than 5 yrs of commissioned service( any branch) prior to going to UPT. I know AD and the reserves have such a rule refered to as TFSCD and it almost impossible to get a wiaver for . Thanks

Guest OldHercNav
Hello,

I feel ive searched this post pretty thoroughly but cant find an answer to my question. Does the ANG have a requirement that states you can have no more than 5 yrs of commissioned service( any branch) prior to going to UPT. I know AD and the reserves have such a rule refered to as TFSCD and it almost impossible to get a wiaver for . Thanks

AFI 36-2205

http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/shared/medi.../AFI36-2205.pdf

Those applying for UFT should be familiar with this reg. See 1.1.6

This would not be a waiver request but an ETP. ETP process is also in this reg.

OHN

Edited by OldHercNav

Thanks for the replies, I was recently selected for an interview with a guard unit and have more than 5 yrs time so either this unit is unaware of this potential problem or they have a way around it. Either way im going to interview and hope for the best.

Guest PTWOBNichols

If you're looking at getting an ETP for time in service I've got some insight. I'm almost a 6 year Captain and successfully submitted one in October for the this past Active Duty UPT board. Additionally, the POC for the AFRC UPT board said it would be allowed for the Reserve board as well since the final ETP authority is the Vice Chief of Staff (Active Duty or Reserves).

As posted earlier, the AFI pertaining to this is:

According to paragraph A2.2 of the above AFI, it seems like the ultimate authority for the Guard is also CSAF (in reality though, it's delegated to the Vice Chief)

"A2.2: Submit the request for an age and/or TFCSD waiver indorsed by the applicant’s immediate Squadron/

CC, Group/CC, Wing/CC, NAF/CC, and MAJCOM/CC (or appropriate chain-of-command leading

to The Adjutant General (TAG) for ANG applicants), and forward to HQ USAF/DPPPR or HQ ANG/

DPFO for staffing to the CSAF for final action."

Thanks for the replies, I was recently selected for an interview with a guard unit and have more than 5 yrs time so either this unit is unaware of this potential problem or they have a way around it. Either way im going to interview and hope for the best.

I was in your situation a few years ago. Yes, the reg does apply to the ANG. You are right - the ANG unit you are interviewing with probably doesn't know about this limitation. The Guard Bureau used to give waivers pretty liberally for this (I personally know 6 people including me that got them) but it sounds like things have changed. It used to be a waiver from the CSAF, not an ETP. So perhaps that has changed as well.

BL - it can be done.

• 4 months later...
Guest STUFR

I am a 5 yr Capt and would like to know more about the ETP waiver. Since they are rarely granted, I'd love to know what you wrote to get one approved. Please advise.

Capt Rolly "STUFR" Cooper

EC-130H Compass Call Instructor Navigator

If you're looking at getting an ETP for time in service I've got some insight. I'm almost a 6 year Captain and successfully submitted one in October for the this past Active Duty UPT board. Additionally, the POC for the AFRC UPT board said it would be allowed for the Reserve board as well since the final ETP authority is the Vice Chief of Staff (Active Duty or Reserves).

As posted earlier, the AFI pertaining to this is:

According to paragraph A2.2 of the above AFI, it seems like the ultimate authority for the Guard is also CSAF (in reality though, it's delegated to the Vice Chief)

"A2.2: Submit the request for an age and/or TFCSD waiver indorsed by the applicant’s immediate Squadron/

CC, Group/CC, Wing/CC, NAF/CC, and MAJCOM/CC (or appropriate chain-of-command leading

to The Adjutant General (TAG) for ANG applicants), and forward to HQ USAF/DPPPR or HQ ANG/

DPFO for staffing to the CSAF for final action."

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW.

I applied for a Guard UPT slot as a 6-yr Capt. Initially, I was told that the ETP would take about 6 months to process after my package was sent to the NGB, however, before the entire package was even sent up, my recruiters received a letter from HQ USAF/CC stating that:

All qualified ANG and AFRes UFT candidates who meet the AFI 36-2205 age restriction are granted a commissioned service wiaver through 8 years of commissioned service. NGB/CF and AF/RE are delegated waiver approval for ANG and AFRes candidates who have greater than 8 years of commission service. NGB/CF and AF/RE will continue to request CYOS waivers in conjunction with age waivers for officers who exceed the AFI 36-2205 age restrictions.

It's signed by the AF Chief of Staff.

So, in the end my package didn't require the waiver, and it was approved by the NGB in roughly 2 weeks. I hope this helps.

FWIW.

I applied for a Guard UPT slot as a 6-yr Capt. Initially, I was told that the ETP would take about 6 months to process after my package was sent to the NGB, however, before the entire package was even sent up, my recruiters received a letter from HQ USAF/CC stating that:

All qualified ANG and AFRes UFT candidates who meet the AFI 36-2205 age restriction are granted a commissioned service wiaver through 8 years of commissioned service. NGB/CF and AF/RE are delegated waiver approval for ANG and AFRes candidates who have greater than 8 years of commission service. NGB/CF and AF/RE will continue to request CYOS waivers in conjunction with age waivers for officers who exceed the AFI 36-2205 age restrictions.

So, in the end my package didn't require the waiver, and it was approved by the NGB in roughly 2 weeks. I hope this helps.

This is GREAT news!! Thank you for sharing. Navs everywhere are rejoicing! Finally the Air Force policy makes sense...if the age limit is 30 to start, why keep someone out who commissioned at 21 and is only 26 years old? Common sense breaking out everywhere.

FWIW.

12AK,

That is great news...I sent you a PM...please check

• 6 months later...
Guest cjb9701

Good afternoon all...I was picked up by a AF Reserve unit for UPT and I was told about this letter. I will be at my 8 year point in May. Does anyone have any updates or info about this memo from the CSAF so that I can present it to my recruiter and unit given the fact they've never heard of it. Any references or contact info would be greatly appreciated.

CB

FWIW.

• 2 years later...

THREAD REVIVED!!!!

Has anyone followed up with 12AK? I am also in the exact same scenario @ the age of 28 1/2 with 6yrs commissioned as a traditional Guardsman

This would be the exact solution I would need for a Reserve UFT slot. Please msg me and or post if you have any info on this letter from the AF chief of staff!!!!!!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

thanks in advance!

FWIW.

I had one of these ETPs issued last summer. It took close to a year to get it done but it got done. This was on the ANG side of the house. My understanding is the reserve's will not work these waivers unless you have some sort of a connection. Doesn't hurt to ask but your best bet for getting this done would be to have an ANG unit work it.

Glad it went through for you, congrats!..yeah, I heard it's not uncommon for Waivers/ETPs to take ~1yr. Soooo...12AK was mistaken then or what? Ever hear back from him? Also, check your PMs please...

I had one of these ETPs issued last summer. It took close to a year to get it done but it got done. This was on the ANG side of the house. My understanding is the reserve's will not work these waivers unless you have some sort of a connection. Doesn't hurt to ask but your best bet for getting this done would be to have an ANG unit work it.

• 2 years later...

FWIW.

Revival!

Granted it was a few years back, anyone know if this CSAF letter is still valid? Anyone have a copy or know where to find it?

---

PK

I got one of these things done three years ago. Work with your guard unit and have them start pushing the paperwork. Best bet would be to have them give a call to Guard bureau and see what they have to say about it. When I asked for one they said if it is less than 8 yrs it is not a big deal

I got one of these things done three years ago. Work with your guard unit and have them start pushing the paperwork. Best bet would be to have them give a call to Guard bureau and see what they have to say about it. When I asked for one they said if it is less than 8 yrs it is not a big deal

Good word bruh... thanks.

Well under 8 years. Paperwork's done & up there as of 2 weeks ago.

The wait continues.

:beer:

---

PK...

• 1 year later...

Hopefully there's no statute of limitations on thread revivals, just wanted to make sure this info is still current. Is there any more concrete guidance on the ANG/Reserve exception to this policy? Or is it just working with guard units on a case by case basis?

Little background on me: Current ABM on the AWACS, 3 years commissioned service, looking to Palace Chase into a Guard UPT position. Need to fix my eyes, so I would expect the medical process would make the whole road to UPT take a bit more than 2 years. Would it be better to contact a desired guard unit earlier? Or after PRK surgery? I know, kind of a multi-faceted post, but the 5 year policy is my biggest concern at this time.

Cheers

Can't say anything on the 5 year policy, but regarding your eye surgery, I think LASIK is easier to work with than PRK so just keep that in mind (you might have been using PRK generically though). Also, keep all of you documentation on that, especially the pre-op numbers, as well as all of the follow ups, there should be a 1, 3, 6 month and a year. Deaddebate is a great contact here for that. I didn't have some of that paperwork since it had been 8 years since mine and I just barely made it work with my FC-1 physical.

Copy all, we had a guy in my unit just go through the surgery process and come out flying on the other side, so he's been giving me guidance.

Regarding the 5 years of commissioned service ETP, should I get in contact with a desired squadron and see when boards are/if that sort of thing is easy? Don't want to put any carts before any horses.

• 2 weeks later...

The 5 year TFCSD waiver is definitely being granted. Both of us who were hired in our board were 5+ years, and needed age waivers- which were both approved by NGB. It can be done. Shit, I just started UPT and we had a guy in-processing with us that was a 15yr load/flight engineer that is 37 and starting UPT, as well as another Reserve Capt who has 7+ years of commissioned service. Bottom line is that it CAN be done! I'm proof.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully there's no statute of limitations on thread revivals, just wanted to make sure this info is still current. Is there any more concrete guidance on the ANG/Reserve exception to this policy? Or is it just working with guard units on a case by case basis?

Little background on me: Current ABM on the AWACS, 3 years commissioned service, looking to Palace Chase into a Guard UPT position. Need to fix my eyes, so I would expect the medical process would make the whole road to UPT take a bit more than 2 years. Would it be better to contact a desired guard unit earlier? Or after PRK surgery? I know, kind of a multi-faceted post, but the 5 year policy is my biggest concern at this time.

Cheers

Are your eyes too bad to fly with glasses?

• 5 weeks later...