U-28 info request!

Guest Sparrow910

Guest Sparrow910

assignment night is quickly approaching, end of March. I am seriously interested in the U-28, but I can find very little info about the lifestyle to expect. Is it going to be your basic climb, level off, drive for a few hours, land type deal or will the flights be more interesting? What are the living conditions like while deployed? If anyone is currently flying the airframe and wouldn't mind answering a few questions for me, or if anyone has any other info regarding U-28 (besides the other stuff already posted on baseops) I would appreciate it!

Guest tapeworm

I have heard it described as a 'killing machine' by a retired general a couple months back. I don't know what that means, but he spoke pretty highly of the aircraft/mission - for what that is worth.

Guest mjk5401

Everyone interested in the U-28 while in UPT, go to the intel office, ask them to look up your clearance. If you have your secret (most active duty officers should), ask to look on the SIPRNET for info on the U-28 and their mission.

On a side note, One thing that I have heard (from a very good source), is that if you come from outside of AFSOC, that there isn't command opportunity. For example, a 2x C17 (AMC) pilot goes and flies U-28 (AFSOC), they won't be able to be a U-28 SQ/CC later on. That's as of right now, but fights are being fought for change. So, if you want to make AF a career and fly the U-28, I recommend trying to get it out of UPT versus later on down the road.

On a side note, One thing that I have heard (from a very good source), is that if you come from outside of AFSOC, that there isn't command opportunity. For example, a 2x C17 (AMC) pilot goes and flies U-28 (AFSOC), they won't be able to be a U-28 SQ/CC later on. That's as of right now, but fights are being fought for change. So, if you want to make AF a career and fly the U-28, I recommend trying to get it out of UPT versus later on down the road.

Actually, Gen Wurster (AFSOC/CG) changed the code of 319th pilots to AFSOC (regardless of what their MDS was prior to that unit). This also impacted other AFSOC units as well. Bottom Line: Even if you came from AMC to the 319th, after XX years on-station, your code will change to an AFSOC code. Hence, command opportunities, staff (AFSOC-specific) positions, etc.

Like the above folks mentioned, the best way to find out the nitty-gritty is in the vault with your intel folks or pick up a STE/STU phone and call someone that knows. Unfortunately, both options are scant in a UPT classroom -- you may want to ask your flight commander to get you to the right information.

---------

To answer the original questions

"Is it going to be your basic climb, level off, drive for a few hours, land type deal or will the flights be more interesting?" -- MORE INTERESTING

"What are the living conditions like while deployed?" -- This may sound cliche, but if you are in any AFSOC unit, your last concern is what the living conditions are like. More likely than not (I've done both sides) your living conditions will be much suckier than your AMC brethren. In fact, I kind of relish in the level of suckiness that I have deployed in. The reason AFSOC bubbas don't care about their lodging is because we know we will be closest to the fight and that is more important.

assignment night is quickly approaching, end of March. I am seriously interested in the U-28, but I can find very little info about the lifestyle to expect. Is it going to be your basic climb, level off, drive for a few hours, land type deal or will the flights be more interesting? What are the living conditions like while deployed? If anyone is currently flying the airframe and wouldn't mind answering a few questions for me, or if anyone has any other info regarding U-28 (besides the other stuff already posted on baseops) I would appreciate it!

I've seen the question of lifestyle before and always come back to the words of an old pilot I worked with for many years when assigned to (AFSOC) Hurlburt Fld who said: "If I knew it was going to be like this I'd have bought cheaper furniture and better luggage".

Everyone interested in the U-28 while in UPT, go to the intel office, ask them to look up your clearance. If you have your secret (most active duty officers should), ask to look on the SIPERNET for info on the U-28 and their mission.

Intel office on the UPT bases...hmmm....where are those? I can't find one here at Vance.

Guest mjk5401
Intel office on the UPT bases...hmmm....where are those? I can't find one here at Vance.

It's probably not a big intel office, but every base has at least one intel officer assigned to them, especially if they have anyone deploying ever. At the very very least, there is a SIPRNET computer. Worse case, get in contact with either Tinker or McConnell's (Vance is in the middle) intel shop and get quidance from them.

Try the video game arcade by the BX, isn't that where the intel bubbas usually hang out? :rock:

Cheers! M2

Guest thefranchise
I posted everything we've been told, but apparently someone felt the need to delete it. If you want to know what the road show guys told us then PM me.

x2. some nazis on here think the mission is so secret it cant be posted. pm or email me for the declassified brief given to masses of IPs and students at Vance a few weeks ago from U28 cadre.

It has nothing to do with people thinking things are so secret. It has to do with denying everyone and their buddy easy access to information. It may be unclas, but that does not mean that it should be posted on an open forum such as this. People now days are so willing to tell people where they are are going, when they are going and for how long... come on. Unless you are the one giving the brief and know the exact classification of what is being said keep it to yourself. It does not matter if it comes from a brief given to everyone on base or if it was in the vault with an Unclas marking. Just keep your mouth shut. You do not know what two pieces of unclassified information will turn into classified information.

If you want to know about a program that is new to the AF, talk with your IPs and they will get you whatever information they can.

x2. some nazis on here think the mission is so secret it cant be posted. pm or email me for the declassified brief given to masses of IPs and students at Vance a few weeks ago from U28 cadre.

No one said the mission was classified, but it is sensitive and as such does not need to be discussed in depth on here. If you have issues with the moderation of this forum, contact BaseOps or PM any one of the moderators, myself included. Also, take a minute to refresh yourself on the rules concerning OPSEC and this site; or, if you prefer a little entertainment, watch this.

Thanks! M2

To piggyback on what M2 said,

It doesn't matter what briefing you received. If you post a squadron's manning and deployment schedule on an open website, don't expect your post to last long. And don't pitch a fit when it vanishes. Get your head out of your ass and use a little OPSEC.

HD

I agree with no one needing to know. If you don't know what a platforms mission is then there is probably a good reason. As far as will it be fun or good living conditions, everything already stated applies. You are working in AFSOC. If you have ever wished you were flying for the Marines or thought the AF was too lax (at least physically), then AFSOC would be fun. Unfortunately it sounds as though to many dudes coming out of UPT are more worried about money and were they will live instead of badass missions.

For getting on SIPR or a STE and talking to people there it is a dead end as it should be. The only way you will find out is to know somebody at Hurby and even most people there can't tell you anything. Does it sound like FUN? I say if you want to be in decent locations and never deploy, go fighters. Sorry I am sure this will get plenty of responses but I just left Hurlburt at a squadron that had more people gone in a year than all the fighters that deployed.

Oh yeah, have you heard of Cannon? Suppose to be going there next drop or so as well as another place but not worth discussing on here.

Some of you have suggested going to the OSS building to finding info on the U-28, or going to a SIPRNET (?) -- But what if you are a spouse that would like some info on this aicraft. Bug The husband to go get the info?! :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Kayla

• 4 weeks later...

OK, a fellow moderator closed this thread, and I can easily see why. But as it had some good info in it, I cleaned up the latest tangent and will re-open it. However, if it gets off-track again it will be closed permanently.

Basically this is the last warning. No operationally-sensitive information please; and if you are not sure what that means feel free to email me the info you are going to post and I will ensure it is good to go. I can provide an OSIS (.GOV NIPRNET) or a SIPRNET address as needed. If you have some tasty tidbit of information you want to share, but are smart enough to realize that it shouldn’t be posted on an open forum such as this, then simply post a not saying you have a briefing or whatever and tell people to PM you with their official email addresses for a copy. I have done this several times with such things as the pics of the F-22 intercept of the Russian Bears and it is a tried and proven method of handing any ‘Official Use Only’ info. But be forewarned that some folks will still ask despite not having a .MIL or .GOV email address. It is better to just tell them sorry, and not provide the info.

Learn a lesson from Dozer, even if the info you have is releasable it still doesn’t mean it is wise to post it on a public forum where anyone can access it. I have no doubt that BaseOps is monitored, not only by people looking for information on the US Air Force, but also by our own folks looking to see if any information is being given out that shouldn’t. The Dozer F-22 example is a classic case of someone being monitored. It is not a matter of him being able to post the information, for all accounts he only posted what had been released; but the question is whether it was a good idea to broadcast such a large amount of info to an unknown audience. It wasn’t.

So, with that in mind, this is a good thread and can be beneficial in educating those of us who have a general interest in the U-28, as well as provide opportunities to those who are actually going to fly the mission with contacts to learn even more. But it all must be done under the watchful eye of OPSEC, as there are limits and “needs to know” that must always take precedence. Someone’s life may count on it.

Cheers! M2

• 4 months later...
Guest abspade

Anyone know about the U-28 and/or NSA selection process? I've heard different stories - some have said that they are no longer dropping either to the T-44 side, and then looking at the recent drops - it appears that the only U-28 slots are going to t-38's. Is there any possibility of still getting one of those two airframes from T-1s?

Guest abspade
If you want a U-28, have a NSS above 50 and let the AF office here know ahead of time then they can work a specific assignment into your class's drop. They'll go out of their way here to work an assignment for you if you do good.

This may sound dumb, but what is NSS? And what office would i be telling?