USAFA cadets banned from downtown C-Springs

Tone deaf

Guest soflguy
Way to teach future officers to make appropriate decisions on their own.

And people wonder why airmen have no respect for officers... because big blue makes sure they don't grow up and have no life experience to go off of when they become "warrior leaders." Most 20 year old enlisted dudes I know have 10x as much life experience and street smarts as any 23/4 year old Academy grad.

Not just dissing Academy so calm yourselves, there's plenty of mentally inept officers from other sources too, it sometimes just stands out more with zoomies.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to see that the Sunni Triangle of the Springs includes the church I got married in and the sites of our rehearsal dinner (Phantom Canyon) and reception (Antlers) attended by my 90-year old great-grandmother. Guess we dodged a bullet.

Just remember this kind of thing when your boss is demanding you do something after one of your troops gets hurt. As my former DO said in a cert board, "BS safety is our first consideration. If that was true, we'd never fly. We've got a mission to do, and sometimes people die."

An experienced Stan/Eval copilot should know better. C'mon, Sue!

I got one of those Academy appointments out of ROTC as a Junior... I turned it down when I realized they expected me to go to schools another 4 years. Thanks... but no thanks.

And you got your pilot slot and ENJJPT slot without sacrificing your :bohica: or :beer:

They seriously expect some guy who is 3 yrs through college to just change to AFA and do 4 yrs? They must be looking for complete idiots to fill their ranks.

Well evidently the Academy graduation *does* let you pick up a DUI *and* enter pilot training, so it's pretty nice for that I suppose ;)

Back then there was no war and it actually took longer than the mins to upgrade. Not a knock on the crews of today, but it was a fact. We (the RC squadron) used to only get a limited number of slots to Altus. It took a while. If you could stand out a little, you might get there that much faster.

The system now sends you when you have the mins + 0.1 hours, a pulse, no DWI and no Class A. Why go to Stan/Eval and work all day and not fly at home when you are gone 200 days a year? F that, I'll stay home and play lunchtime hockey and/or slack off all day and upgrade sooner.

Shack. Unless you're in the ANG...where they have no idea what the mins ever are, because you're going to have 3500 hours total time before you upgrade, "no matter what the f_cking active duty reg says the mins are!"

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled semi-monthly academy bashing.

For the love of God, please let's avoid this. Yes, I know I got my one jab in...but the ROTC vs. academy argument never goes anywhere.

I even used to wish I joined the ANG first, but I'm glad I went ROTC->AD->ANG. If I didn't go ROTC, I never would have met Baseops, CAP-10 and Hydro and if I never went AD, I never would have met Bergman in all his Cheesehead glory. That would have been a bummer.

Holy shit! I may have to print this part and put it in the archive. By the way...now you know how I felt when the Packers lost to the fooking Denver Donkeys in 1998. At least I wasn't at your house rubbing it in the whole night (sts)! Jackass!

So I hear a lot of people talking about the lack of "real life experience" or all the "gayness" that's associated with the academy. How many of you guys actually went there? Anyone? That's what I thought.

Back on topic...

Did any of you guys have to opportunity to work for this woman? Is she really as much of a wack job as she seems?

bio

Gen Born has a pretty interesting bio. She had been in the AF 17 years before she was in any organization actually called a "squadron." And she was the commander. I guess that's how you make it to general with 3 rows of ribbons.

ASSIGNMENTS

1. July 1983 - May 1985, job analyst, Occupational Measurement Center, Randolph AFB, Texas

2. May 1985 - February 1986, executive officer, Occupational Measurement Center, Randolph AFB, Texas

3. February 1986 - May 1986, student, Squadron Officer School, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.

4. May 1986 - June 1989, personnel measurement psychologist, U.S. Air Force Exchange and Liaison Office, Royal Australian Air Force, Headquarters Support Command, Melbourne, Australia

5. June 1989 - August 1991, assistant professor, Department of Behavioral Sciences and Leadership, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.

6. August 1991 - June 1994, doctoral candidate and Air Force liaison officer, Pennsylvania State University

7. June 1994 - June 1997, Assistant Director, Recruiting Research and Analysis, Accession Policy Directorate, Office of Assistant Secretary of Defense for Force Management Policy, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.

8. June 1997 - May 1998, speech writer and policy and issues analyst, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, later, aide to Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.

9. May 1998 - May 2000, Deputy Chief, Personnel Issues Team, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington D.C.

10. May 2000 - June 2002, Commander, 11th Mission Support Squadron, Bolling Air Force Base, Washington D.C.

11. June 2002 - September 2004, professor, later, permanent professor and Head, Department of Behavioral Sciences and Leadership, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.

12. September 2004 - present, Dean of the Faculty, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.

:vomit:

HD

Edited by HerkDerka

ASSIGNMENTS

1. July 1983 - May 1985, job analyst, Occupational Measurement Center, Randolph AFB, Texas

2. May 1985 - February 1986, executive officer, Occupational Measurement Center, Randolph AFB, Texas

3. February 1986 - May 1986, student, Squadron Officer School, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.

4. May 1986 - June 1989, personnel measurement psychologist, U.S. Air Force Exchange and Liaison Office, Royal Australian Air Force, Headquarters Support Command, Melbourne, Australia

5. June 1989 - August 1991, assistant professor, Department of Behavioral Sciences and Leadership, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.

6. August 1991 - June 1994, doctoral candidate and Air Force liaison officer, Pennsylvania State University

7. June 1994 - June 1997, Assistant Director, Recruiting Research and Analysis, Accession Policy Directorate, Office of Assistant Secretary of Defense for Force Management Policy, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.

8. June 1997 - May 1998, speech writer and policy and issues analyst, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, later, aide to Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.

9. May 1998 - May 2000, Deputy Chief, Personnel Issues Team, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Personnel, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington D.C.

10. May 2000 - June 2002, Commander, 11th Mission Support Squadron, Bolling Air Force Base, Washington D.C.

11. June 2002 - September 2004, professor, later, permanent professor and Head, Department of Behavioral Sciences and Leadership, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.

12. September 2004 - present, Dean of the Faculty, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.

:vomit:

HD

:vomit: Is right!

How does this happen! How does someone like this actually make General for crying out loud! :flipoff:

Speech writer?! That's a f'ing assignment?! I guess when you're steady ugly they don't even let you open your mouth...you just have to think about it.

Thank God I didn't go to college and went to State.

Look more closely...

She worked for SecAF. No big surprise that she got a good deal on her next assignment or two. Also note the job title "policy and issues analyst" which in my mind means she was probably not only writing the speeches but probably also presenting SecAF with the policies themselves. Lastly, she was the "aide" to SecAF. I'm sure that included some knee time, but she probably also worked her arse off as well and did so in front of the right audience.

She's probably brilliant...but has the common sense of a grape. Typical 40 pound head person/analyst.

What kind of dude was taking "advantage" of that "knee time?" She's a prime example of someone who should haven't made it past Capt, but apparently some guys higher up liked having a dude...er, I mean chick...do some "special" assignments. Really unbelievable someone like this could make it so far.

• 2 weeks later...
And you got your pilot slot and ENJJPT slot without sacrificing your :bohica: or :beer:

Haha, I just have to post the verse we made up to "Hounds of War Song" by the Gringos.

Verse:

There's these cadets in the Springs,

Who do silly fvking things.

Like run and march, and shine all day loooonnngg.

If they all had their way,

They'd go back in time and say,

Fvck the Academy I'm join'n ROT-C!

Chorus:

Singn Aye Aye Aye

I'm just a ROT-C guy who happens to wear a uniform to class.

Chuggn beers and gettn Ass,

I'm having a fvckn blast.

Fvck gettn out in four, I'm stickn around for five!

Pretty fun to sing around my Academy bros who come up party with us at Boulder.

Edited by B*D*A

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lindseyaf

Hey everyone,

I'm new, I've been checking out this site to learn more for my fiance and our future. You all have been very helpful! But I guess I'm a little (more like a lot) naive. My fiance is at the academy as a sophomore. I've never realized that people don't like Academy grads. Is there any particular reason? I do know of some of Nick's (my fiance) friends already think they are better than others-I'm guessing that's a huge reason. Basically, I'm asking because Nick really is a good guy, and I want to let him know the point of views of other people. Also about the baning of the clubs, and C Springs areas...It is kind of crazy, but it's also crazy when people yell and try to start fights with the cadets just because they are in the military. Thanks for any replies though. I appreciate them. :)