USAFA cadets banned from downtown C-Springs

Tone deaf

Anybody seen this yet? Read the link to the letter in the article.

AF times article

I see how the zookeeper takes care of things:

“We’ve had individuals injured downtown, having had to go to an emergency room or having been victims of criminal activity,” he said. “Sometimes it could be wrong place, wrong time. Sometimes it could be a bad decision.” :flipoff:

What sizeable American city does not have these things happening?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest xtndr50boom

At first I thought the notice might have something to do with the bar brawl this weekend (Ft. Carson had a few folks nabbed), but it looks to have been sent out prior.

Way to teach future officers to make appropriate decisions on their own. C-springs isn't exactly south central LA, so why is big blue so wrapped up about this shit? It's also interesting to note that Peterson and Schriever AFBs don't seem to be making up this sort of "it's ok, but you'll be in trouble" BS for their airmen

Wow. I lived in C Springs after a 4 year hitch in the Marines, and it was about the tamest experience ever.

Wait till some of these kids get stationed somewhere like Kadena, and Gate 2 Street eats them alive because they're still not prepared for real life. . .

At least they will never have to visit Kinville!

“If you choose to visit an establishment that falls into this area,” she wrote, “there will be consequences. Use your situational awareness, your critical thinking, your wingmen, and make the right decision.”

The notice, said academy spokesman John Van Winkle, was “intended to make them aware of the risk and threat in this area, and some of these establishments, but leave room to use their best judgment.” It does not forbid them, he said, from going downtown, an area popular for its restaurants and shops.

Contradiction much? :bash:

desjardins_sy2.jpg

Consider the source.

Looking at the bio, I'm not really surprised by a policy that has no real common sense or acknowledgement of reality.

Warrior ethos my ass. This policy is just more proof: If you seek out all the the staff jobs, you will be promoted, regardless of leadership ability or combat focus.

The Academy is a great institution that provides a lot of opportunities for kids with a lot of potental. But shitty leadership can (and often does) take all that potential and flush it right down the toilet.

Sad.

P.S. Has anyone worked under her(sts?)? Care to shed some light?

Guest MizzNav
Wow. I lived in C Springs after a 4 year hitch in the Marines, and it was about the tamest experience ever.

Wait till some of these kids get stationed somewhere like Kadena, and Gate 2 Street eats them alive because they're still not prepared for real life. . .

At least they will never have to visit Kinville!

I spent some time at kadena with about 14 AFA guys on OPS as part of a PDT summer thing. They did just fine, they knew exactly where the juicy bars were.... and a few other found a geat massage place outside the gate.

AFA is trying to make some seriously socially retarded folks it seems.

No kidding. I lived in C Springs for 10 yrs before college, and then still came home once in a while at that point. Every city has issues, but C Springs is a very safe/good city compared to the shit you could get into in a larger city like NY, Chi, LA, etc. I've been in the "shitty" part of town a few times back in the day, and while I wouldn't want to be walking the street alone at night, it's still nothing compared to a couple times in LA and NY I made "not the smartest" decision. This overkill on safety is just retarded.

Gotta agree on C-Springs being one of the safest cities I've ever been in, only Salt Lake seemed more mundane. I've wandered the bad parts of Baltimore, DC, Albuquerque, etc on more than one drunken occasion and C-Springs can't hold a candle to any of them. Even the "bad" parts of C-Springs seem tame compared to the normal parts of Albuquerque, let alone Baltimore.

I think the best entry in that bio was "standardization and evaluation copilot". WTFO

HD

Back in SAC (and in squadrons born from SAC), being a copilot or junior nav in Stan/Eval put you on a small pedestal as someone who was squared away, knew their shit and were probably going to upgrade a little bit ahead of their peers. We called then SELOs - Stan/Eval Liaison Officers. At least that's how it was in the RC squadron around 1997 when I got there.

That being said, I don't think I would put that on my official GO biography. Nah, man, I believe you'd get your ass kicked for that. Then again, I'll never need to even worry about that since I was never a SELO and I'll never have the need to write one of those bios.

I think the best entry in that bio was "standardization and evaluation copilot". WTFO

HD

Damn! And all these years I thought I had coined the term "Instructor Copilot" - when the copilot knows more and flies better than the very part-time FedEx guys. This chick not only beat me to the punch but raised the ante. Well at least my hair doesn't look like some sort of over-varnished toupe. nah nah!

I spent some time at kadena with about 14 AFA guys on OPS as part of a PDT summer thing. They did just fine, they knew exactly where the juicy bars were.... and a few other found a geat massage place outside the gate.

Let's be honest...it doesn't take a PhD from Harvard to find the juicy bars or parlors "with a happy ending" out Gate 2.

AFA is trying to make some seriously socially retarded folks it seems.

They're not just trying, they're succeeding!

There goes any shred of the "I can have a college experience going to the Academy" argument. I keed, I keed...but seriously.

No need to joke...it's the f-ing truth! Anyone who picks the academy over a full-ride ROTC scholarship should have their friggin head examined, IMHO.

All sarcasm aside (no, really!) I sincerely feel bad for the kids who have to put up with this crap.

Anyone who picks the academy over a full-ride ROTC scholarship should have their friggin head examined, IMHO.

Well, some of them don't have a choice. Type 1 (full-ride) scholarships for ROTC are often times more competitive than an AFA appointment.

Did any of the other ROTC guys out there see the memo that the Academy is looking to recruit from ROTC? Each detachment could nominate 5 cadets....we had no takers.

There goes any shred of the "I can have a college experience going to the Academy" argument. I keed, I keed...but seriously. :thumbsup:

You beat me to it... As has been said; the Academy is a great academic institution and it takes some dedication to get in and through there. That being said, Air Force officers work in the real world, and confining cadets to the campus for four years doesn't exaclty give them much of a feel for that.

They already never have to learn about paying rent, making dinner or planning their daily schedule. Don't let "functioning in the real world" whether it be socializing or avoiding dangerous situations etc) be added to that list.

And to avoid critiscism from the Zoomies, I've got nothing but respect for most who get into and make it through the Academy. Just like any other group of people in life, there are always the knuckleheads and the reasons for it.

Guest MizzNav
Well, some of them don't have a choice. Type 1 (full-ride) scholarships for ROTC are often times more competitive than an AFA appointment.

Did any of the other ROTC guys out there see the memo that the Academy is looking to recruit from ROTC? Each detachment could nominate 5 cadets....we had no takers.

Hell no! why would anyone go from once a week gayness to 24-7 gayness? Plus i understand they don't take transfer credits... so starting out as a 4 degree, fvck that hard.

Back in SAC (and in squadrons born from SAC), being a copilot or junior nav in Stan/Eval put you on a small pedestal as someone who was squared away, knew their shit and were probably going to upgrade a little bit ahead of their peers. We called then SELOs - Stan/Eval Liaison Officers. At least that's how it was in the RC squadron around 1997 when I got there.

That being said, I don't think I would put that on my official GO biography. Nah, man, I believe you'd get your ass kicked for that. Then again, I'll never need to even worry about that since I was never a SELO and I'll never have the need to write one of those bios.

Being a SELO nowadays around AMC does not hold the esteem that you described back in SAC.

It's just another job to stick a LT. I know many a SELO that aren't squared away to say the least.

I got one of those Academy appointments out of ROTC as a Junior... I turned it down when I realized they expected me to go to schools another 4 years. Thanks... but no thanks.

Being a SELO nowadays around AMC does not hold the esteem that you described back in SAC.

It's just another job to stick a LT. I know many a SELO that aren't squared away to say the least.

Back then there was no war and it actually took longer than the mins to upgrade. Not a knock on the crews of today, but it was a fact. We (the RC squadron) used to only get a limited number of slots to Altus. It took a while. If you could stand out a little, you might get there that much faster.

The system now sends you when you have the mins + 0.1 hours, a pulse, no DWI and no Class A. Why go to Stan/Eval and work all day and not fly at home when you are gone 200 days a year? F that, I'll stay home and play lunchtime hockey and/or slack off all day and upgrade sooner.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled semi-monthly academy bashing.

For all ROTC's :bash: I'm glad I chose the path I did. Free education, my ass. They take it a nickel at a time out your ass. I even used to wish I joined the ANG first, but I'm glad I went ROTC->AD->ANG. If I didn't go ROTC, I never would have met Baseops, CAP-10 and Hydro and if I never went AD, I never would have met Bergman in all his Cheesehead glory. That would have been a bummer.