Berkeley faces off against USMC

pawnman

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest crotter
Watching this made my blood fvcking boil. They believe in free speech...... only if it is thier speech.

Some video if the code pink sandy vaginas keeping people from entering the berkley marine recruiting station:

http://patdollard.com/2008/02/vid-cops-do-...ge-on-freedoms/

wish someone would just slaughter all of these people, thye do not even deserve to breathe the same air as the rest of America. Fvcking Cvnts.

uuggh that makes me sick... :vomit:

Especially knowing this is going on about 20 minutes from my home. (I live in the Bay Area for the time being unfortunately...)

I honestly feel like going there tomorrow, except I'm afraid of the consequences if those d-bags put their hands on me and my instincts take over :M16:

Any other Bay Area locals feel like a trip to Berkeley?

uuggh that makes me sick... :vomit:

Especially knowing this is going on about 20 minutes from my home. (I live in the Bay Area for the time being unfortunately...)

I honestly feel like going there tomorrow, except I'm afraid of the consequences if those d-bags put their hands on me and my instincts take over :M16:

Any other Bay Area locals feel like a trip to Berkeley?

Just get there real early, and create a barricade for the Code Pinkos. Then you can let folks in and out at will.

Looks like Berkley pussed out. The Marines can chalk up another point against the Hippies of Berkley.

Berkeley City Council Retreats From Anti-Marines Offensive, Voices Support for Troops

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

BERKELEY, Calif. —

City councilmembers who were heavily criticized for telling Marine recruiters they don't belong here have moderated their position, saying they oppose the war in Iraq but support the troops.

Berkeley's City Council voted two weeks ago to send a letter to a downtown recruiting station advising the U.S. Marines they are not welcome.

After a marathon session that stretched into early Wednesday, the council decided not to send the letter, saying they recognize recruiters' right to be in Berkeley. The council said they still strongly oppose the war and the recruitment of young people into it, but "deeply respect and support" the men and women of the armed forces.

• View photos of protests staged at Berkeley City Hall

Some on the council had pushed for issuing an apology. But others rejected that, saying they just wanted to clarify their position.

Councilwoman Linda Maio said the council opposes recruitment, not the military. "It's behavior that we oppose, not the people," she said.

The meeting drew hundreds of people on both sides of the issue who rallied from dawn until well into the night outside City Hall.

Inside the chamber, scores of speakers addressed the council.

Some decried the council's earlier action.

"You owe our military an apology," said Kevin Graves, a San Francisco Bay area resident who said his son died serving in Iraq.

But others applauded the council's stand.

Medea Benjamin, co-founder of the anti-war group Code Pink, said her group supports the troops — "we support them so much that we're desperate to get them back home."

In rallies outside, members of the pro-military group Move America Forward waved flags and held signs including "Boycott Berkeley for Bashing Our Boys" and "Support our Troops."

Meanwhile, protesters with Code Pink waved signs saying "Peace Now" and "Bring Our Troops Home."

At its height, police estimated the crowd at about 2,000. A handful of people were arrested for scuffles between protesters, said Berkeley police spokeswoman Sgt. Mary Kusmiss.

The recruiting office opened in Berkeley in late 2006 and operated quietly until four months ago when Code Pink began holding regular protests.

The City Council's initial vote Jan. 29 outraged several lawmakers, who have threatened to withhold millions in state and federal money destined for Berkeley.

On Tuesday, more than 40 House Republican members asked President Bush to immediately rescind over $2 million in earmarks awarded to Berkeley.

Guest keystone

Honestly, I take the unpopular side of this debate. I think if the city doesn't want the USMC in their area of interest, then they have the right to lawfully/democratically go about removing them from.

I don't know what political theology I would subscribe this too, but individual localities should have more control over themselves. Perhaps going after the military was a bit coy, but def. a step in the right direction in a nation that looks towards the federal government for guidance on day to day things.

Letting the localities determine what is acceptable in their area is federalism at it's finest!

I think there is to much ignorance is comments such as " we shouldn't defend Berkley" or "let the terrorists in." The U.S. military is subserviant to the American people. They are allowed to hate us, it's called liberty. There is no merit in saying the office was defending the Berkley California from terrorists, that about as dumb as saying "If the navy can't test their sonar, the terrorists win...no matter how many whales we kill in the process."

I'm proud to wear the uniform, and I know my veiw is unpopular compared to others on here, but we should remember that sometimes the Constiution that we swear to defend, means putting up with people that may not worship the military. If you can't handle that, you may either have insecurity issues.

Patriotism isn't listening to country music and putting stickers on your truck. Patriotism means supporting liberty and governments (read: administrations) that are determined to preserve it.

Let the hippies have Berkley, you can be a good American and not appreciate the military

Guest MizzNav
Patriotism isn't listening to country music and putting stickers on your truck. Patriotism means supporting liberty and governments (read: administrations) that are determined to preserve it.

Let the hippies have Berkley, you can be a good American and not appreciate the military

I have to disagree with you. So patroitic people all listen to country music and drive a truck? Thats pretty offensive, got any other stereotype jokes?

These people don't support liberty, the video i posted could have shown you that much. I am pretty sure liberty involves not only saying you you wan, but doing so in a way that is respectful of other's rights. These code pinkos do not and the city of berkley supports them and gives them preferntial treatment, which menas the city of berkley does not support liberty or thier government.

Being a good american means being involved in your government, not just naysaying it and preventing it from recruiting people to serve. This country was built by the blood of men and women who served the military, so spitting on that is spitting on the foundation of what made america what it is today. You can say youre against the war, have peaceful protests and be a good american, that is what being american is al about. However, you need to do so in a way that doesn't violate others and still allows people to make their own choices.

You can disagree and be a good american, but you cannot disrespect other people like the military and be a good american.

Guest crotter
Honestly, I take the unpopular side of this debate. I think if the city doesn't want the USMC in their area of interest, then they have the right to lawfully/democratically go about removing them from.

I don't know what political theology I would subscribe this too, but individual localities should have more control over themselves. Perhaps going after the military was a bit coy, but def. a step in the right direction in a nation that looks towards the federal government for guidance on day to day things.

Letting the localities determine what is acceptable in their area is federalism at it's finest!

I think there is to much ignorance is comments such as " we shouldn't defend Berkley" or "let the terrorists in." The U.S. military is subserviant to the American people. They are allowed to hate us, it's called liberty. There is no merit in saying the office was defending the Berkley California from terrorists, that about as dumb as saying "If the navy can't test their sonar, the terrorists win...no matter how many whales we kill in the process."

I'm proud to wear the uniform, and I know my veiw is unpopular compared to others on here, but we should remember that sometimes the Constiution that we swear to defend, means putting up with people that may not worship the military. If you can't handle that, you may either have insecurity issues.

I understand what you're saying. I think the big issue most people have with this particular protest is not the fact that they are protesting, it is the fact that they are physically stopping other citizens from entering the recruiting office.

Those protesters/hippies or whatever you wanna call them can stand on the corner and hold signs and yell all they want, but the second they start blocking entryways and keeping other citizens from freely entering a public building is something that I and just about any other US citizen has major issues with.

I am especially appalled at the Berkeley PD for not stepping in. Their comment about remaining "neutral" seems totally BS to me. Didn't someone earlier in this thread post a specific law stating it is unlawful to prevent people from attempting to serve in the military?

I for one will try and avoid the city of Berkeley even more than I usually do from now on, if anything just because I don't feel myself or my family would be safe there seeing how the local police department wont step in when laws are clearly being broken.

Edit:

Here is the law I was referring to: (it was originally posted by M2 in this thread)

TITLE 18--CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

PART I--CRIMES

CHAPTER 115--TREASON, SEDITION, AND SUBVERSIVE ACTIVITIES

Sec. 2388. Activities affecting armed forces during war

(a) Whoever, when the United States is at war, willfully makes or

conveys false reports or false statements with intent to interfere with

the operation or success of the military or naval forces of the United

States or to promote the success of its enemies; or

Whoever, when the United States is at war, willfully causes or

attempts to cause insubordination, disloyalty, mutiny, or refusal of

duty, in the military or naval forces of the United States, or willfully

obstructs the recruiting or enlistment service of the United States, to

the injury of the service or the United States, or attempts to do so--

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty

years, or both.(b) If two or more persons conspire to violate subsection (a) of

this section and one or more such persons do any act to effect the

object of the conspiracy, each of the parties to such conspiracy shall

be punished as provided in said subsection (a).

© Whoever harbors or conceals any person who he knows, or has

reasonable grounds to believe or suspect, has committed, or is about to

commit, an offense under this section, shall be fined under this title

or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.

(d) This section shall apply within the admiralty and maritime

jurisdiction of the United States, and on the high seas, as well as

within the United States.

crotter

Edited by crotter

Guest MizzNav

Does this sound like a good american?

Berkeley City Council members voted to rescind a letter to the Marine Corps recruitment office asking them to leave town, but left in place a provision that encourages “all people to avoid cooperation with the Marine Corps recruiting station, and applaud residents and organizations such as Code Pink” that “impede, passively or actively” the work of military recruiters. Berkeley also voted against a formal apology to the Marine Corps and will still allow Code Pink a special parking space in front of the recruitment office to conduct weekly protests.

coutesy of patdollard.com

I don't think so.

Is it me, or do most of these anti-war/anti-military protestors always come in one of two flavors? Under 18 and don't know shit, or 60+ and want to live the good ol' Vietnam days and still don't know shit?

That's about standard from the protests I've seen.

So by your logic, patriotism means supporting governments (and government entities) that are determined to preserve liberty. But you can be a good American and not appreciate the military?

UFB.

HD

Edited by HerkDerka

Umm, this doesn't make any sense.

You can't say you "appreciate" education, but don't support teachers. You also can't say you "appreciate" hamburgers, but don't support cow farmers.

You can't "appreciate" a final product without also supporting the means to obtaining it.

Military = freedom. Freedom = government.

They are not mutually exclusive.

3_61_marine4_320.jpg

Feb. 12: Sherry Perussina, left, argues with anti-war protester Anna Powelson, 15, outside Berkeley City Hall.

I love that dude with the bandanna. I guess he likes to pretend he's protesting in a country where the secret police hunts you down for criticizing the government, necessitating the anonymity. Or maybe he doesn't want his parents to find out what he does after school.

Poser. :bash:

EDIT: Oh, and I just noticed his sticker: "Make Out, Not War". What, is he too PC to "Make Love" or just too young? ROFL!

Edited by Trunk

It's not just the fact that the military should be left alone in running a recruiting office. In another light, the office is just like any other business in the city--they rent space for their storefront, are obliged to follow city codes etc. By the same logic the City Council would then seem to have the right to order a local, law-abiding restaurant closed for no apparent reason. I don't think you'd find too many people in favor of that one. Granted the ideological issue is different, but I'm sure there are people who have issues with where Starbucks gets their coffee from, and I don't think we'll be seeing those closed anytime soon.

Marines Protest Cost $93,000 For Police OT

By Carolyn Jones

Berkeley spent $93,000 on police overtime to control the Marines protest outside City Hall Tuesday, a city official said.

About 140 Berkeley police officers worked at the protest, which drew more than 2,000 demonstrators from around the country, said Mary Kay Clunies-Ross, public information officer. There were four arrests, all misdemeanors.

The protest was over the City Council's Jan. 29 statement that the Marines, who have a recruitment center downtown, are "unwelcome intruders." After 3 1/2 hours of public comment and debate, the council voted early Wednesday to back down from the statement.

To prevent similar controversies in the future, City Councilman Gordon Wozniak has proposed that every item submitted by the Peace and Justice Commission - where the Marines statement originated - undergo two readings by the council. Usually commission items need one reading.

Peace and Justice commissioners were not happy with the idea.

"It's like he's trying to legislate himself to read what's on his own agenda," said the commission's former president, Steven Freedkin.

Meanwhile, protests continue at the recruiting center on Shattuck Square. About 50 people from Code Pink and World Can't Wait blocked the center entrance for several hours Friday and then marched to UC Berkeley, a block away. There were no arrests.

I love that dude with the bandanna. I guess he likes to pretend he's protesting in a country where the secret police hunts you down for criticizing the government, necessitating the anonymity. Or maybe he doesn't want his parents to find out what he does after school.

Poser. :bash:

EDIT: Oh, and I just noticed his sticker: "Make Out, Not War". What, is he too PC to "Make Love" or just too young? ROFL!

Actually the sticker and bandanna were free. The crazy Maoist group World Can't Wait worked with the Berkley High School (big surprise there) and the kids were given the day off school if they went to take part. Two groups were giving away the "Make Out, Not War" stickers and free T-shirts and bandannas to the high school kids. Here is a great read (kind of long) with lots of pictures detailing the protest and exposing what a bunch of bs it was.

http://www.zombietime.com/berkeley_marines_2-12-2008/

Marines Protest Cost $93,000 For Police OT

By Carolyn Jones

Berkeley spent $93,000 on police overtime to control the Marines protest outside City Hall Tuesday, a city official said.

About 140 Berkeley police officers worked at the protest, which drew more than 2,000 demonstrators from around the country, said Mary Kay Clunies-Ross, public information officer. There were four arrests, all misdemeanors.

The protest was over the City Council's Jan. 29 statement that the Marines, who have a recruitment center downtown, are "unwelcome intruders." After 3 1/2 hours of public comment and debate, the council voted early Wednesday to back down from the statement.

To prevent similar controversies in the future, City Councilman Gordon Wozniak has proposed that every item submitted by the Peace and Justice Commission - where the Marines statement originated - undergo two readings by the council. Usually commission items need one reading.

Peace and Justice commissioners were not happy with the idea.

"It's like he's trying to legislate himself to read what's on his own agenda," said the commission's former president, Steven Freedkin.

Meanwhile, protests continue at the recruiting center on Shattuck Square. About 50 people from Code Pink and World Can't Wait blocked the center entrance for several hours Friday and then marched to UC Berkeley, a block away. There were no arrests.

Note to aspiring police officers: Get paid overtime to watch people scream.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody catch The Daily Show last night? They ran a piece mocking these lunatics. [Video Link] Best line from the clip:

Crazy Code Pink skank: "It's very important to protect free speech, so clearly we have the right to be here."

Daily Show correspondent: "If only there were an organization that was sworn to defend that free speech!"

Crazy Code Pink skank: "Wouldn't that be great?"

Here's another gem:

Numb nuts Berkely hippie: "Wars and violence on our streets would stop if we didn't have weapons"

Daily Show correspondent: "So if we got rid of police we wouldn't have crime?"

Numb nuts Berkely hippie: "Potentially"

Anybody catch The Daily Show last night? They ran a piece mocking these lunatics. [Video Link] Best line from the clip:

Crazy Code Pink skank: "It's very important to protect free speech, so clearly we have the right to be here."

Daily Show correspondent: "If only there were an organization that was sworn to defend that free speech!"

Crazy Code Pink skank: "Wouldn't that be great?"

Here's another gem:

Numb nuts Berkely hippie: "Wars and violence on our streets would stop if we didn't have weapons"

Daily Show correspondent: "So if we got rid of police we wouldn't have crime?"

Numb nuts Berkely hippie: "Potentially"

I love the look on Riggle's face when that woman interrupts at the end of the video... He really looks like he could crown her with the mic.

Coincidentally there was a write-up about Rob Riggle on the back of the most recent USAA magazine I got. Apparently he wasn't just a Marine but a Helo pilot, he does a lot of USO stuff now, seems like a pretty solid guy.

He is also a United States Marine Corps officer. He served in Liberia, Kosovo and Afghanistan. He has over 19 medals and ribbons as a result of his service, to include the Combat Action Ribbon. He is currently a Major in the Marine Corps Reserves.

Full Bio here

• 8 years later...

Holy thread resurrection, Batman.  Tangentially related WSJ article: Why Free Speech Matters on Campus by Michael Bloomberg and Charles Koch. (Full text attached)

I'll be honest, when I saw the authors I wasn't expecting much, but it's a rather coherent and reasonable way to tell everyone to stop being pansies.

Our advice is this: Stop stifling free speech and coddling intolerance for controversial ideas, which are crucial to a college education—as well as to human happiness and progress. Across America, college campuses are increasingly sanctioning so-called “safe spaces,” “speech codes,” “trigger warnings,” “microaggressions” and the withdrawal of invitations to controversial speakers. By doing so, colleges are creating a climate of intellectual conformity that discourages open inquiry, debate and true learning.

Really, though, I just wanted this video floated back to the top: http://www.cc.com/video-clips/9fgyc6/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-marines-in-berkeley

Why Free Speech Matters on Campus.pdf

Edited by SurelySerious