USAF RAS program

Guest Hueypilot812

I'm interested...unfortunately my CC told me to fill out the ADP listing the C-12 primary AFSC in the boxes...NOT the 16F stuff. So I guess I'll have to recall the ADP again.

I guess the guy I know who got the Turkey C-12 job didn't go through the 16F process. It's possible that SOME of the near-term fills, they are willing to overlook the RAS training to get a body out there. All I know is he left for language training, and then off to the job.

Dos it matter if you have a MS already? I'm in the process of getting mine, but still have the majority of it to go. You said learning a language doesn't really determine what region you specialize in...I really like the idea of going to South and Central America, and I'm looking into learning Spanish and Portuguese...is there any method to the madness of determining who gets to study what region? And are there any other flying gigs besides the C-12 jobs? You mentioned something regarding Tornados in Germany...would a 11F get to actually fly the Tornado? Likewise, are there jobs related to flying foreign AF transport aircraft (I'm a 11M)?

Thanks for the info.

• 3 years later...

Any updated info on C-12 RAS locations? Anyone doing it right now? AMS doesn't list aircraft pairings with 16F AFSC positions.

As I understand it--RAS does not necessarily (if at all) = Air Attache'. Air Attache's are the ones who fly C-12's (as their additonal duty while working at the embassies that fly C-12's)...the RAS program by itself is a totally seperate program.

I'm going off the fact that my best friend is in RAS, and also, I recently went through the C-12 qual course at Dothan/Flight Safety with guys who are going to be Air Attache's flying the C-12...and these guys all confirmed what I wrote above. I know it gets confusing...but it's best to understand what you're asking for before you ask for it.

The process is confusing. I've been released by the MAF but only to rated flying positions. I'm hoping the DT vectors me to the RAS this fall after my board. Trying to determine what a RAS can do if he can only go to flying jobs.

• 3 years later...

Usually they release the PSDM with all the RAS selects around this time each year.

The selections are usually by DT so there isn't a single call for volunteers PSDM…some DTs will advertise it via PSDM (as my career field did), others by email… people just need to know when their DT or assignment gods are meeting and can request it. SAF/IA gives the ultimate yay/nay and releases the selects as a compiled list.

My DT met in June and allegedly sent names up but won't know who they picked until the list comes out in the next few weeks hopefully. Then comes the battle royale to get a region that doesn't suck!

zb

• 3 weeks later...