Finance Problems

Guest buddy

When I went to PIT for my move to T-1s it was initially written as an out-and-back TDY, and therefore built in DTS, to include incremental accrual vouchers. My PCS orders were subsequently amended to make PIT a TDY enroute to my gaining location. When I got to Columbus I was advised by the local finance circus that I should zero out the DTS voucher and do EVERYTHING for the TDY and PCS on one voucher via PIPS, so I did. Well, despite me clearly listing my DTS-paid accruals under "previous payments and advances" those idiots STILL paid me the full voucher amount to the tune of just short of $10,000 over what I should have been paid. This was back in February. I repeatedly went to them and told them about the error, but since the DTS voucher had been deleted they swore up and down that I was paid the correct amount. I would have thought it would be much easier to give away $10,000!

Well, fast forward SIX FRIGGIN MONTHS and they finally "fixed the glitch". Without notifying me or giving me any options, they turned off my pay. I'm talking $0.00 paycheck from now until Sept to cover the debt. Now, I am not an idiot, I still have the money but it astonishes me just how incompetent these people can be at their job, and suddenly it becomes MY problem when they fuck it up royally. If I did my job like they do their job I would have been dead a long time ago.

Edited by Napoleon_Tanerite
  • Upvote 1

When I went to PIT for my move to T-1s it was initially written as an out-and-back TDY, and therefore built in DTS, to include incremental accrual vouchers. My PCS orders were subsequently amended to make PIT a TDY enroute to my gaining location. When I got to Columbus I was advised by the local finance circus that I should zero out the DTS voucher and do EVERYTHING for the TDY and PCS on one voucher via PIPS, so I did. Well, despite me clearly listing my DTS-paid accruals under "previous payments and advances" those idiots STILL paid me the full voucher amount to the tune of just short of $10,000 over what I should have been paid. This was back in February. I repeatedly went to them and told them about the error, but since the DTS voucher had been deleted they swore up and down that I was paid the correct amount. I would have thought it would be much easier to give away $10,000! Well, fast forward SIX FRIGGIN MONTHS and they finally "fixed the glitch". Without notifying me or giving me any options, they turned off my pay. I'm talking $0.00 paycheck from now until Sept to cover the debt. Now, I am not an idiot, I still have the money but it astonishes me just how incompetent these people can be at their job, and suddenly it becomes MY problem when they fuck it up royally. If I did my job like they do their job I would have been dead a long time ago.

I get that you have to pay back money when they overpay you...but some notice would be nice before they suddenly start deducting money from your paycheck.

When I went to PIT for my move to T-1s it was initially written as an out-and-back TDY, and therefore built in DTS, to include incremental accrual vouchers. My PCS orders were subsequently amended to make PIT a TDY enroute to my gaining location. When I got to Columbus I was advised by the local finance circus that I should zero out the DTS voucher and do EVERYTHING for the TDY and PCS on one voucher via PIPS, so I did. Well, despite me clearly listing my DTS-paid accruals under "previous payments and advances" those idiots STILL paid me the full voucher amount to the tune of just short of $10,000 over what I should have been paid. This was back in February. I repeatedly went to them and told them about the error, but since the DTS voucher had been deleted they swore up and down that I was paid the correct amount. I would have thought it would be much easier to give away $10,000!

Well, fast forward SIX FRIGGIN MONTHS and they finally "fixed the glitch". Without notifying me or giving me any options, they turned off my pay. I'm talking $0.00 paycheck from now until Sept to cover the debt. Now, I am not an idiot, I still have the money but it astonishes me just how incompetent these people can be at their job, and suddenly it becomes MY problem when they fuck it up royally. If I did my job like they do their job I would have been dead a long time ago.

Yep been there, done that, the funny thing is they couldn't comprehend why I wanted to cut them a check instead of having it deducted out of my paycheck. Like I really trust you idiots to reinstate my pay on time when the debt is paid after you fucked this up from the start?

I searched and couldn't find anything concrete. Do to reduced budgets, sequestration, etc our squadron is now mandating that students double up in lodging while on X/C's to the max extent possible. Is it legal to force them to do this or not? This is AETC JSUPT environment by the way.

I searched and couldn't find anything concrete. Do to reduced budgets, sequestration, etc our squadron is now mandating that students double up in lodging while on X/C's to the max extent possible. Is it legal to force them to do this or not? This is AETC JSUPT environment by the way.

Totally legal. The JFTR does not restrict shared lodging for officers (it does specifically address reimbursements for this), this is traditionally a lodging policy.

Nothing new here... be happy you still get a x/c, they nearly took ours away, and when we did get to go, we had a pretty weak radius to stay within.

What's wrong with doubling up on lodging? Eventually, you'll be in a tent/cadillac/B-hut with all your bros and you'll have to figure out how to sleep despite everyone snoring, getting up, Facetiming/Skyping back home, or secretly trying to rub one out.

Students sharing lodging on cross countries was the standard when I went through UPT in 2007-2008. Be glad that there is still TDY at all and that they aren't issuing you MREs instead of paying you per diem. You sometimes share rooms on real world TDYs, so I don't see what the big deal is. Also, if students are whining about this, they need to have their attitudes recalibrated.

Edited by guineapigfury

When I filed my IFS voucher in 2007 finance paid me $4.5K which wasn't what was even on my voucher. I went to CBM finance and told them it was way too much and they told me the amount was legit. Half-way through UPT I get a paycheck for $0.00 until my debt was repaid. Luckily, I kept the money in savings.

I spoke to the finance experts and they stated they tried to contact me. Never got an e-mail, never got any official correspondence. I don't want to even start on how the process was to PCS out of there in 2009.

When I filed my IFS voucher in 2007 finance paid me $4.5K which wasn't what was even on my voucher. I went to CBM finance and told them it was way too much and they told me the amount was legit. Half-way through UPT I get a paycheck for $0.00 until my debt was repaid. Luckily, I kept the money in savings.

I spoke to the finance experts and they stated they tried to contact me. Never got an e-mail, never got any official correspondence. I don't want to even start on how the process was to PCS out of there in 2009.

Let me guess, they sent an email to your old email address after you PCSed. I've had that one happen. The talent level in most Finance shops is too low to handle the level of power they have. No money should ever be deducted from a servicemember's paycheck without the member's consent or Squadron Commander's approval. Your Squadron CC, not the Finance CC. Zero dollar fix that could be implemented tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

Let me guess, they sent an email to your old email address after you PCSed. I've had that one happen. The talent level in most Finance shops is too low to handle the level of power they have. No money should ever be deducted from a servicemember's paycheck without the member's consent or Squadron Commander's approval. Your Squadron CC, not the Finance CC. Zero dollar fix that could be implemented tomorrow.

Because SQ/CC's don't have enough to do already?

Because a troop's $$ reduced due to finance's buffoonery is 100% a Sq/CC's issue. I'd fire any SQ/CC that DIDN'T intervene.

Not getting involved or not knowing only lead to many more problems while trying to unscrew the system. Less work to get involved up front than to let it fester or just not know and get blindsided.

The lodging reg AFI 34-246 says:

Table 1.1. Minimum Space and Privacy Standards (for existing inventory only)

All Commissioned and Warrant Officers; All Civilians - 250 square feet (net) living area: private room, private bath (Note 2)

The lodging reg AFI 34-246 says:

Table 1.1. Minimum Space and Privacy Standards (for existing inventory only)

All Commissioned and Warrant Officers; All Civilians - 250 square feet (net) living area: private room, private bath (Note 2)

Which is only a requirement for what DOD Lodging facilities must PROVIDE. Does not apply to what a CC can order for his TDY personnel.

• 1 year later...

Thread bump:

Anyone know if finance is currently paying apartment rent if you submit a lost receipt form? I had a voucher get rejected because I didn't submit receipts for my rent. I submitted my lease and a ledger from the apartment front office along with bank statements. I just resubmitted it with the lost/missing receipt form, however the form reads like it is intended for lost hotel receipts. This was for a TDY to LRAFB.

Edited by Gus Chiggins

Did you swipe a card every month or did you give them your card number upon "moving in" to which they automatically charged every month?

If it's the former, they should have copies of each payment on file.

Edited by Champ Kind