Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest buddy

Finance Problems

26 minutes ago, SurelySerious said:

There is a way to set the conversion rate, so you could look up the conversion rate for that day or use current. Alternatively, do the conversion yourself and claim the dollars. Assuming more than $75? If less than $75, do the conversion and claim the reimbursement for the appropriate dollar amount without receipt required. 

ah yes...less than 75 USD...didn't consider that. Tickets were 30 euro one way...so well under. thanks. 

So I have a feeling active duty finance took advantage of their last opportunity to screw up my pay on my way out the door. I separated last week, yet still received a full paycheck today. I was under the assumption that I would only be paid for the few days on active duty this month, and that it would take several weeks to calculate and pay out. Anyone else have this issue before?

I feel like just keeping the extra $3k and making them fight me for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you really want to fight them you’ll have to change bank accounts. They can still reach into your direct deposit account long after you’re gone. 

• Upvote 1

There should be a statute of limitations on the government collecting pay errors. 

The same thing happened to me when I got out.  They sent me a bill in the mail some 6-9 months later for the amount they overpaid me.

4 hours ago, FLEA said:

There should be a statute of limitations on the government collecting pay errors. 

We have a squadron mate who has been dealing with a doozy of a DFAS fuckup from his AD time.  They want him to pay nearly 10k for taxes they inappropriately paid for him, which DFAS admits to being their fuckup.  They say he needs to pay them back and that he'll just get it back when he files his taxes.  He's like fuck off, I'm not coughing up that cash because of your incompetence.  The fight has been going for nearly 3 yeas now and he left AD 5+ years ago.  I think he's already talked to his congressman, which hasn't done much.  I'm not sure if you can file an IG complaint against DFAS, but I would have been there long ago.  IDK, where you go next...national new outlets? 

National news outlets won’t GAF unless it’s a story they can a spin into something. IG complaint is the way forward. I had a finance problem with my frau’s GS pay; DFAS, Finance and CPO were pointing fingers at each other for a year. I filed an IG complaint naming them all and it was settled in about a month. 

The day I filed the complaint, the CPTS “CC” called me (had been trying to get him involved for months, the Lt lied to me and told me he was already on it), hinting that I hit the nuke button too soon since he just got briefed on the situation. I told him essentially GFYS, not withdrawing the complaint. It worked.

TLDR - IG complaint steps on some toes, but it gets the job done when the “system” isn’t working. I avoided the IG like the plague for the first 15 years of my career, but they are very effective. Even before I filed the complaint, having him make a few calls got right to CC level without having to fight through the minions. 

DFAS appears to not have an IG, but rather an Internal Review office (DFAS IR). This page steps you through the process, and as always, DoD IG is also an option.

I guess we’ll see on the 30th if they fixed the glitch. I think it’s about 50/50 that I’ll get another paycheck. It makes me wonder why I wasted time with finance separation briefings and paperwork if they were just going to screw it up anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, MooseAg03 said:

It makes me wonder why I wasted time with finance ... if they were just going to screw it up anyways.

What are ya, new?

• Haha 2