Finance Problems

Guest buddy

4 hours ago, FLEA said:

There should be a statute of limitations on the government collecting pay errors. 

We have a squadron mate who has been dealing with a doozy of a DFAS fuckup from his AD time.  They want him to pay nearly 10k for taxes they inappropriately paid for him, which DFAS admits to being their fuckup.  They say he needs to pay them back and that he'll just get it back when he files his taxes.  He's like fuck off, I'm not coughing up that cash because of your incompetence.  The fight has been going for nearly 3 yeas now and he left AD 5+ years ago.  I think he's already talked to his congressman, which hasn't done much.  I'm not sure if you can file an IG complaint against DFAS, but I would have been there long ago.  IDK, where you go next...national new outlets? 

National news outlets won’t GAF unless it’s a story they can a spin into something. IG complaint is the way forward. I had a finance problem with my frau’s GS pay; DFAS, Finance and CPO were pointing fingers at each other for a year. I filed an IG complaint naming them all and it was settled in about a month. 

The day I filed the complaint, the CPTS “CC” called me (had been trying to get him involved for months, the Lt lied to me and told me he was already on it), hinting that I hit the nuke button too soon since he just got briefed on the situation. I told him essentially GFYS, not withdrawing the complaint. It worked.

TLDR - IG complaint steps on some toes, but it gets the job done when the “system” isn’t working. I avoided the IG like the plague for the first 15 years of my career, but they are very effective. Even before I filed the complaint, having him make a few calls got right to CC level without having to fight through the minions. 

I guess we’ll see on the 30th if they fixed the glitch. I think it’s about 50/50 that I’ll get another paycheck. It makes me wonder why I wasted time with finance separation briefings and paperwork if they were just going to screw it up anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 8 months later...

I'm a reserve student on TDY for IFF and trying to get some information about receiving full per diem. Received my first payment and I didn't receive full per diem after providing an MFR; Shocking.... So, I completed the missed meals form 2282 in order to get full per diem, but I was just informed not to list the weekend dates? From what I could find, the JTR indicates per diem is a daily rate, so I should receive full per diem (once approved) for all days correct? Thanks.

Every day, not just during the week. Shouldn’t have to fill out Lost meal form, just need an MFR, usually signed by someone in FM, that states you’re authorized full per diem because your schedule precludes you from making DFAC meal times. 

On 6/10/2020 at 2:32 PM, Hopefulflyer389 said:

I'm a reserve student on TDY for IFF and trying to get some information about receiving full per diem. Received my first payment and I didn't receive full per diem after providing an MFR; Shocking.... So, I completed the missed meals form 2282 in order to get full per diem, but I was just informed not to list the weekend dates? From what I could find, the JTR indicates per diem is a daily rate, so I should receive full per diem (once approved) for all days correct? Thanks.

You won’t get full meal rate on the weekends. You are”able” to utilize the DFAC on the weekends.

I’ve seen both ways...what the two previous posts say, and what I said (MFRs stated unable to make meals from TDY start date through end date). You definitely at min should get M-F MFR (and not have to fill out lost meal forms). 

• 2 weeks later...

So a couple of recent bonus issues related directly to Aviator pay.

1) I pinned on O-5 and my firs O-5 check, my aviation pay dropped from 1000 to 707. My  local finance had no idea why and submitted a CMS case. Supposedly this issue has been resolved (I'll find out this month), but no idea why this would have occurred in the first place.

2) I was due to receive a bonus payment June 5. Still no bonus payment. CMS case entered again... no resolution yet. Anyone else seeing these issues?

On 6/23/2020 at 9:28 AM, SMACK996 said:

2) I was due to receive a bonus payment June 5. Still no bonus payment. CMS case entered again... no resolution yet. Anyone else seeing these issues?

Depending on your type of bonus.....for example, I have a 9-payment 20 YAS aviation service bonus. After the 5th payment the original contract stopped and a CMS case was automatically opened to begin the second half, or final 4 payments. It took about a month. This is apparently SOP. No idea if this is what happened in your case. 

On 6/24/2020 at 10:56 PM, Homestar said:

Depending on your type of bonus.....for example, I have a 9-payment 20 YAS aviation service bonus. After the 5th payment the original contract stopped and a CMS case was automatically opened to begin the second half, or final 4 payments. It took about a month. This is apparently SOP. No idea if this is what happened in your case. 

It was a 7 year 30K... THis would have been my fourth payment I believe counting the two they give right up front

Does anyone else still get jacked up flight pay? I recently-ish entered the $1K-a-month tier and yet without fail every month I now get 4x LESs. 1st of the month, normal pay with $325 flight pay, then about a week later another $175 in flight pay. Rinse and repeat for mid-month. I don't understand how this is not something easily rectified but then again it appears that every USAF finance system still runs on MS-DOS so who knows.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, nsplayr said:

Does anyone else still get jacked up flight pay? I recently-ish entered the $1K-a-month tier and yet without fail every month I now get 4x LESs. 1st of the month, normal pay with $325 flight pay, then about a week later another $175 in flight pay. Rinse and repeat for mid-month. I don't understand how this is not something easily rectified but then again it appears that every USAF finance system still runs on MS-DOS so who knows.

Reportedly the backstory on this is that the services were authorized to go up to X for flight pay by Congress, the Air Force chose to go up to less than X, and the other services chose to not go up at all. DFAS was incapable of processing one ACIP table for the Air Force and one for the other branches, hence the "fix" was to keep paying us what the other services get and then issue top-off payments a week later.

Reportedly the backstory on this is that the services were authorized to go up to X for flight pay by Congress, the Air Force chose to go up to less than X, and the other services chose to not go up at all. DFAS was incapable of processing one ACIP table for the Air Force and one for the other branches, hence the "fix" was to keep paying us what the other services get and then issue top-off payments a week later.
Mine pays out as a single $1k line on my LES (pay split equally on mid-month and end of month).

I'm on AD, and the pay amount increased for me back in Feb 20. They even got the prorated amount correct in the transition month. My LES showed that they stopped flight pay, then restarted it at the higher amount that month.
  • Like 1

You’re not AD any more, yes? There is a Reserve pay issue with the flight pay change.

17 hours ago, nsplayr said:

Yup.  Words last year from a friend in finance is that DFAS (or whomever), decided they're just not going to fix the issue since they're rolling out new pay software soon.  I asked how soon and she's says, "it's supposed to roll out Jan 2021."  So pretty much...if you're a tech or part-timer, you'll continue to get 4, 5, and 6 paychecks a month and you can fuck off.

Even better, I’ve been both PT and FT with the flight pay change and still get 6-9 paychecks/mo regardless of status. Why is it so hard for support functions to do their job effectively. The way they operate, I’d be GAB-ing 90% of my sorties due solely to pilot error/incompetence. The other 5% would be something truly out of my control, and the remaining 5% I’d get airborne and summarily expect everyone to be stoked and thank me for a job well done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...