Finance Problems

Guest buddy

I did exactly what Hoss said.  Same exact situation (VPS vs. PNS).  I don't remember the exact disparity in prices the RA was looking for, but bottom line took a car service there and back...cost the government $150 more in the end.  The wasted time was worth it to see his reaction when he realized I had ed the system, but there was nothing he could do as it was a legally reimbursable expense.  I don't think such shenanigans happened again, at least that I'm aware of.

Get the ticket you want, do a constructed travel worksheet showing it saves the gov’t money because of the expensive cab ride and when it works, spread the word to help fix things.

Or you can f-ck your travel plans, bone the taxpayer and make a point which will be quickly dismissed and ignored.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

On 9/10/2018 at 3:29 AM, Fly4five said:

Yea I talked with some guys and am going to go ahead with it. I’m PCS enroute and they are on my orders so I’m with you. I got the letter and will be using it since they are listed on there. I don’t have separate orders for my TDY and PCS. 

Your family isn’t authorized to be TDY with you even though it’s a TDY enroute. You will get hosed if the nonA says your family is with you.

You packed up and have no house anywhere, I get that. But the AF still expects you to be at training alone and won’t reimburse you for family related expenses...be very careful

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2018 at 3:15 AM, di1630 said:

Get the ticket you want, do a constructed travel worksheet showing it saves the gov’t money because of the expensive cab ride and when it works, spread the word to help fix things.

Or you can f-ck your travel plans, bone the taxpayer and make a point which will be quickly dismissed and ignored.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Last I checked cabs can't be considered when doing the constructed travel cost. It's how C-17 squadrons manage to pay us $200 less when we drive because they don't factor in the $100 one way taxi from Lawton to Altus.

On 9/13/2018 at 2:39 PM, pilotguy said:

Your family isn’t authorized to be TDY with you even though it’s a TDY enroute. You will get hosed if the nonA says your family is with you.

You packed up and have no house anywhere, I get that. But the AF still expects you to be at training alone and won’t reimburse you for family related expenses...be very careful

His family isn't "authorized" to be there? Does it say that on his wife's orders? 

Edited by Jaded

Last I checked cabs can't be considered when doing the constructed travel cost. It's how C-17 squadrons manage to pay us $200 less when we drive because they don't factor in the $100 one way taxi from Lawton to Altus.
That's just your RA being stingy with "their" money. Fairly certain I included the taxi from LAW to LTS way back when since it was specifically mentioned in the reporting instructions as a travel consideration, and since there was no gov contract rate CHS-LAW, it made for a comfortable travel budget (gas, decent hotels, and meals over 4 days/3 nights covered within the CTW)

Not at a C-17 sq right now, but my current RA will kick back the CTW (and/or auth/voucher) if you forget the travel costs to/from the airport on either end, including taxis, rental car fuel, and tolls. But then again he wants all transportation related receipts, even if they are less than $75.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, jazzdude said:

That's just your RA being stingy with "their" money. Fairly certain I included the taxi from LAW to LTS way back when since it was specifically mentioned in the reporting instructions as a travel consideration, and since there was no gov contract rate CHS-LAW, it made for a comfortable travel budget (gas, decent hotels, and meals over 4 days/3 nights covered within the CTW)

Not at a C-17 sq right now, but my current RA will kick back the CTW (and/or auth/voucher) if you forget the travel costs to/from the airport on either end, including taxis, rental car fuel, and tolls. But then again he wants all transportation related receipts, even if they are less than $75.

Yeah doublechecked the JTR and it specifically says "no other costs [besides transportation ticket], such as taxi fare or parking, are included in the comparison".

Eh, everyone that comes to the sq wants to fight it, but it's just not worth the effort. Plus we do get taken care of pretty well: rental car(s) is out standard for tdy, gas for the rental car, multiple options of getting to the airport are reimbursed, fast turnaround on vouchers, will kick back your voucher or call and ask) if you miss things you should be reimbursed for that you might have forgotten to claim, etc. So most people just take pics of receipts as they get them to upload later, or just put whatever's missing on a lost receipt form.

4 hours ago, jazzdude said:

Eh, everyone that comes to the sq wants to fight it, but it's just not worth the effort. Plus we do get taken care of pretty well: rental car(s) is out standard for tdy, gas for the rental car, multiple options of getting to the airport are reimbursed, fast turnaround on vouchers, will kick back your voucher or call and ask) if you miss things you should be reimbursed for that you might have forgotten to claim, etc. So most people just take pics of receipts as they get them to upload later, or just put whatever's missing on a lost receipt form.

Highly dependent upon your FM.  I could go on for pages about fucked up shit when FM builds an empire.  I would be happy if they could just figure out how to get it so everyone on the TDY could get reimbursed for rental car gas on their GTC, they didn't arbitrarily just reject vouchers without querying us, and they didn't seem to fight us on every little thing.  

Edited by SocialD

Anyone deploy with conflicting statements on their orders regarding per diem?  I've got "Government meals available and directed" (standard, as per every set of orders I've ever received) and Line Remark "WBM - Member Authorized Full Rate per diem."

I will be lodged on base so I honestly think I should get the on-base rate, but if my remarks say i'm authorized full rate i'll be damned if I don't try to get it.

Edited by MDDieselPilot

• 2 months later...
Need a hand. 
I'm stationed OS.  Extended TDY to OCONUS. For how long does COLA stay? Where in JTR can I find the answer? 
Thanks. 

Ctrl-f is a good place to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

After all these years, I've found new issues with finance - currently engaged two circle with losing cues.  Anyone have experience getting the following reimbursed: Citi Cash Advance Fees, ATM fees and a Visa overstay fine?  Big picture: TDY OCONUS to a country where cash payments were the only acceptable form of payment for lodging and driver.  No one has a problem accepting that; the issue is with getting the associated expenses reimbursed.

City CA fees: found a pamphlet (not JTR) that mentions they're not reimbursable.  Nothing in the JTR that finance or I could find.  Their default position - no reimbursement, regardless of the fact that payments could only be made in cash.

ATM fees: there's a blurb in the JTR stating they have to be approved by the "Secretarial Process" by O-6 or greater ahead of time.  My OG approved them.  Finance chief says the "Secretarial Process" means routing approval to SECAF for my ATM fees, but says she doesn't have that in writing anywhere.  YGBFSM.

Visa overstay: issued a 30-day tourist visa in my official passport upon arrival and overstayed it a few days.  Embassy gave me a MFR asking immigration to waive the overstay fee.  They won't (standard slightly-underdeveloped country cash grab) and there is no reference of anything like this in the JTR.  Their default position - no reimbursement.

Pile-on: CPTS wants to use a website called OANDA for daily conversion rates.  I kept meticulous notes of the overall cash I withdrew against the GOVCC and have an overall conversion rate that I realized.  Using OANDA instead of the real conversion rate nickel and dimes me on every transaction.  When pressed, they said there is no guidance to use OANDA anywhere but it's what their training courses used so it has stuck.  That's a best practice, not guidance.  This is the smallest of problems (monetarily) with this voucher but I want to fight back out of priciple.

Anyone have experience with the expenses above?

How much you willing to fight the good fight? If you got the time/energy/documentation and they still refuse to pay because of reasons like “it’s just the system we use/that’s how it’s always been” I would politely let them know if they can’t provide documented proof of reasons not to pay you that you will be making a IG complaint, and actually follow though and make one.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, viper154 said:

I would politely let them know if they can’t provide documented proof of reasons not to pay you that you will be making a IG complaint, and actually follow though and make one.  

This right here...also what Hoss said.  If you want to see a commander pucker up fast, bring up an IG complaint, you just have to be willing to follow through with it.  The AF sending you somewhere, then being unwilling to just reimburse you for legitimate costs is perfect grounds for an IG complaint.  If you want to go the nuclear option, call a congressman...nothing gets shit moving like a politician calling a wing king.  Not always recommended but sometimes you're left with no other options.  

Best of luck, finance battles get my blood boiling.  These fuckers should have to actually go TDY with us and deal with all the shit we do while out on the road.  Then they might start to understand why some things are not always black and white.  

11 hours ago, ViperStud said:

After all these years, I've found new issues with finance - currently engaged two circle with losing cues.  Anyone have experience getting the following reimbursed: Citi Cash Advance Fees, ATM fees and a Visa overstay fine?  Big picture: TDY OCONUS to a country where cash payments were the only acceptable form of payment for lodging and driver.  No one has a problem accepting that; the issue is with getting the associated expenses reimbursed.

City CA fees: found a pamphlet (not JTR) that mentions they're not reimbursable.  Nothing in the JTR that finance or I could find.  Their default position - no reimbursement, regardless of the fact that payments could only be made in cash.

ATM fees: there's a blurb in the JTR stating they have to be approved by the "Secretarial Process" by O-6 or greater ahead of time.  My OG approved them.  Finance chief says the "Secretarial Process" means routing approval to SECAF for my ATM fees, but says she doesn't have that in writing anywhere.  YGBFSM.

Visa overstay: issued a 30-day tourist visa in my official passport upon arrival and overstayed it a few days.  Embassy gave me a MFR asking immigration to waive the overstay fee.  They won't (standard slightly-underdeveloped country cash grab) and there is no reference of anything like this in the JTR.  Their default position - no reimbursement.

Pile-on: CPTS wants to use a website called OANDA for daily conversion rates.  I kept meticulous notes of the overall cash I withdrew against the GOVCC and have an overall conversion rate that I realized.  Using OANDA instead of the real conversion rate nickel and dimes me on every transaction.  When pressed, they said there is no guidance to use OANDA anywhere but it's what their training courses used so it has stuck.  That's a best practice, not guidance.  This is the smallest of problems (monetarily) with this voucher but I want to fight back out of priciple.

This sounds a lot like commander shit.  Have you gotten him/her involved?  After Hoss' advice of trying to work it out with an O in CPTS, that would be my next stop.  If nothing else, telling your CC that you're going to be "red" for GTC payments for a while until this gets sorted out should help gain some traction but hopefully the motivation to help is beyond that.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ViperStud said:

For the conversion fees. I’d include what citi charged you for them. Not what Oanda uses. While it’s a nice site for daily rates I’d go off what citi actually charged you. Kind of hard to argue with what the card charges.  As for the rest good luck. I know you used to be able to claim atm fees along with cash advance fees, but knowing the penny pinchers in the gov they stopped that little niceity to save a few bucks 

• Upvote 1