USOs at Airports

Ram

I don't think this topic has come up yet...

Now that it's the holiday season and we're doing a lot of traveling, I bet lots of us are ducking into the USOs at airports all across the country.

If you're military and you HAVEN'T been into a USO on a layover...well, you're missing out. These folks know how to make travel bearable.

I'm sitting at DFW in the USO right now getting free highspeed wireless and charging my battery for the flight to Chicago. I don't really mind the layover when the refreshments are free and I can watch the game and whore up BaseOps.

So what are the "best" USOs you've seen? Any gouge on what's good...and what's not?

Here are the ones I've seen:

1. Chicago O'Hare: Old, but nice. Free paperback books, magazines, and refreshments. Standard nice old lady at the desk. I can't remember if there's free internet there, but the last time I was there I used their computer for about an hour. I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars.

2. Atlanta, GA: Wow. A few plasma screens with X-Box (1 had guitar hero, and that was fun), theater-style rows of seats in front of a huge LCD TV, and all the pastries you could shove down your throat (sts). Four stars.

3. Dallas/Ft Worth, TX: Pretty damn good. They have a BAR. That's right: A no-shit bar in the USO. The drinks aren't free, but they're pretty cheap. Some nice girls working the counter that will get you hooked up with free wireless, and a nice little lounge upstairs to get out of the noise if you need to nap. The only problem is it's a bit crowded, but hell...there's a friggin BAR people. Five stars.

...well, that's about all I can think of. Write your own reviews, if you have any.

Merry Christmas.

I didn't even know these existed until I had about eight years in service. They're awesome if nothing more than a place to sit down and chill while you're waiting for your flight. I'll add two to the list - RDU and BWI.

RDU (Raleigh Durham): Not as big as Atlanta or BWI, but generally well stocked and the staff are great. There's not much room, but they jam a lot of stuff in there. There's about 10 lazy boys in front of a wide screen TV, TVs with PS and xBox along the other wall, and a kids area. I usually get to the airport two hours prior to my flight knowing that I can chill here. They have a few computers with internet access and they just recently going free wireless access. The kitchen is usually stocked with donations from local businesses. I would give it three stars as an average USO, but the fact that the dedicated staff keep it open 24 hours (having been stuck at Atlanta and BWI overnight with nowhere to crash) gives it an extra star. 4/5.

BWI (Baltimore Washington): It's been a while since I've been here, but I remember it being about the same size and service as ATL. What was nice was they actually had a separate rooms with cots where you could rack out if it was going to be a while until your flight was there. Had a flight cancelled in '01 when I was PCS to England and four families from my B course (with a total of like seven kids) hung out in the USO for around eight hours - 4/5 stars.

Guest JorryFright21

Seattle- lot's of couches, separate room for crashing if need be. TV's for video's and games. Food. Internet. Huge luggage storage area to not lose your crap. 4/5

Guest HeavyHopeful

DEN has an awesome USO. I have been into the President's club (Continental Airlines) next door and I would honestly rather hang out in the USO. Many computers, about 20-30 lazy boys, lots of food, a few TVs with Xbox, children's area, free books and magazines, a sleeping room and much more. A free bar is the only thing that the president's club has going for it.

I have also been to ATL, its nice, but not near DEN.

I was in the DFW USO this morning...my second time stopping by, always great! They've always got a movie going with comfortable chairs, sleeping area, lots of computers and wireless, a guitar you can play, tons of free food/drinks, and grade A service.

DEN has an awesome USO. I have been into the President's club (Continental Airlines) next door and I would honestly rather hang out in the USO. Many computers, about 20-30 lazy boys, lots of food, a few TVs with Xbox, children's area, free books and magazines, a sleeping room and much more. A free bar is the only thing that the president's club has going for it.

I have also been to ATL, its nice, but not near DEN.

I'll second that, I was at the Denver USO earlier this summer and it was quite a place! And I've had great experiences with the USO at Atlanta as well.

God bless the great folks of the USO!

Cheers! M2

Had 13 hour layover in Atlanta back in 2000, when rotators used to fly out of there...not sure if they still do. Having the USO there was awesome....we spent a few hours hanging out there and then caught taxi's to watch the Braves play the Yankees (inner league play)...I have a buddy from high school who plays for the Yankees (still does, and yes he admitted to using HGH) and he left tickets for all of us. We got drunk, ate hotdogs, watched the game and then returned to the USO before our flight. What an awesome way to kick off a deployment to Bosnia! USO's rock.

All these years, and I never knew it was so prevalent at all the airports,... and that it had so much to offer. Very cool.

They usually don't have a great location within the airport (they also probably don't pay rent...). Atlanta's is on the the 2nd floor above a food court just before security in one of the terminals. It's in and among a bunch of administrative offices. Indy's is by the baggage claim and is easily camoflaged as a "lost luggage" office.

This is awesome news, Ill have to pass it along we were stuck in Atlanta a few christmas's back for about 12 hours, and the whole airport was down, I guess the only thing cool about hanging out at the Airtran terminal was I got to see "Animal" 1/2 of the wrestling tag team from the legion of doom if any of you were into wrestling back in the day, would of been nice to know about this USO thing, I too only thought their main thing was morale support in the form of sending celebrities to visit troops

For anyone flying through Phoenix there is a military hospitality room in terminal 2. I'm not sure about the other terminals because I mostly fly out of 2 when I go to drill. The place is very nice, just before security, and is run by a great bunch of volunteers. Their hours are somewhat limited because it is run by volunteers, but still worth the stop if they are open. A few rooms with tvs, snacks, and internet access. Make sure to leave a donation if you wish to (box located in the kitchenette).

OKC -- Kinda small, but a ton of free food (fresh Domino's when I was there) couches, flat screen, etc... They also have free wireless and computers, and, since there's a bunch of newb's going through there on their way to basic (there were when I stopped by anyway) they have a number of cell phones you can check out and use for free. Very nice!

While not technically a USO (they are not affiliated with the national organization), Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) has a great military hospitality area. Was stuck in the airport for weather last spring and spent about 10 hours hanging out there. Lots of cushy recliners and couches, big screen TV, free Wi-Fi, and sleeping areas for everyone, including an area for families to catch some zz's. Great people working there, making sure everyone was fed, and chit-chatted with everyone.

My personal experience with the USO has been fantastic. Here are a few of my examples:

- USO at Chicago Midway: The Chicago PD has an office next door, and hangs out in there all the time. One started talking to me, and we had a good conversation. I told him that I wished I could have caught a game at old Comiskey before they tore it down. He gave me his business card, and told me that when I ever get into town, give the number on the back a call. It was a friend who could get me in a back gate to Comiskey to catch a game - free.

- USO at DFW: This used to be the TWA Admiral's Club, which explains why it is immaculate. It has the typical great service.

- USO at Hickam: A female contractor and I get off a -135 heading to Grissom from Diego in '03 on our way back to Barkatraz. The tanker crew said that we could come with them, but we would be SOL once we got to Grissom, since it's in the middle of nowhere. I call billeting to try to get us a room(s), and they say since we don't have Hickam on our orders, they won't give us anything (including a non-availability form). Out of ideas, I go to the USO to ask a local if they know where we could find a cheap motel. The lady at the desk tells me that she isn't sure, but she'll ask her husband. He comes over, and asks where we are coming from. I explain that we are trying to make our way home from the war, and not having much luck. He asks his wife for the number to billeting and dials it up. "Hello? Is this billeting? This is Col Avella, the XX Group Commander. I have a Maj BXXX and a friend here, and they are trying to get home from the war, and I'd like to know what you are going to do to help them. Yes, you're going to help them, right? Good. They're on their way." Needless to say, we got our non-availability slip to anywhere we wanted, and since T had been stationed there for eight years, she picked the Outrigger Waikiki. A FRED eventually showed up, but broke for three days. After a three-day vacation in Hawaii, we made it back to LA. You never know what kind of help you'll get at a USO.

If I have the time, I always stop at the USO when I'm flying. They are wonderful people. As was said earlier, slip them a few bucks when you visit (especially officers).

There is also the one at LAX. A lot of our guys stop in there on their way down and back from ODF. It's called the Bob Hope USO. It's in a trailor style fashion that is NOT attached to any of the terminals which is the only downside because you'll have to leave the main terminal (which we all know checkpoint security sucks, see TSA topics in other forums). It's next to the Spaceship looking building in the center of the airport, across from Terminal 2. Again, nice people, good service and food, and all the other amenities. A retired Air Force General is the manager of the place. Real nice guy.

Edited by amcflyboy

Charlotte has a very nice USO. Ton's of food, lazy boys, and usually a handful of vets volunteering there that are eager to talk to you about anything and everything. No sleeping rooms but 30+ recliners and a handful of couches.

Disagree about MSP..... for a major hub I expected a nicer facility. I had to spend the night there last winter due to the weather and the place was cramped as can be. Even though I had to sleep on the floor I admit it was better than sleeping at a gate with tons of strangers just walking by.

Seattle- lot's of couches, separate room for crashing if need be.

Yeah, I was a little surprised that there was a USO here. One note for those coming through SEATAC, it's upstairs and you have to hunt a little to find the elevator/stairs.

I also thought the OAIX USO was pretty nice for what and where it was.

This is awesome news, Ill have to pass it along we were stuck in Atlanta a few christmas's back for about 12 hours, and the whole airport was down, I guess the only thing cool about hanging out at the Airtran terminal was I got to see "Animal" 1/2 of the wrestling tag team from the legion of doom if any of you were into wrestling back in the day, would of been nice to know about this USO thing, I too only thought their main thing was morale support in the form of sending celebrities to visit troops

Was that back in Nov of 2001? If so, I was stuck there too at ATL when they made all 5 terminals exit and then had to re-enter security about 10 hours later. What a cluster. I did though end up meeting this hot ass Coast Guard ensign.

BTW, excellent thread!